SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#171664 - 04/29/05 09:27 PM Re: Things change
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
scott, if i can jump in here again, i did play briefly (about 10 minutes) a g70 in canberra, when it first hit our shores, coz i was considering a switch from the PA1Xpro, and its keyboard, was almost identical to the VA76, if i can i'd like to add that the layout of the G70 was really impressive and, yes i'll use the word intuitive, far more so than the korg, everything was easy to get to and not several menu layers deep.on the rd series, and i am trying to picture them in my mind again, ... im sure the 300 and 700 had trad.piano shaped keys. the G70 has definiately synth keys and action..btw scott both rd 300 and 700 have 88 notes.

dennis

#171665 - 04/29/05 10:37 PM Re: Things change
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by manic2257:
the layout of the G70 was really impressive

Yes, this is what Steve Fortner had stated in his Keyboard Magazine review as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by manic2257:

im sure the 300 and 700 had trad.piano shaped keys. the G70 has definiately synth keys and action..btw scott both rd 300 and 700 have 88 notes.

Sounds like the 300 and G70's keys are at least a little different then. I'm anxious now to locate both these kbs in a local music store now to try (and compare) them myself now. I'm most attracted to the 300 for it's lighter weight and possibly using it in conjunction with my Tyros when solo piano performance is called for. I especially appreciate the FantomX piano, but concerned about how difficult (or awkward) it will be to midi it up to the Tyros with the 300 as controller. I fear access to arranger functions & buttons may be too awkward. Curious if and how many other members here trigger their arranger keyboard via remote controler kb. Interested in hearing how a setup like would work out in a performance situation. - Scott

#171666 - 04/29/05 10:44 PM Re: Things change
manic2257 Offline

i gotta say scott, trying to control the tyros arranger functions from the RD would be possible in theory i suppose, but a nightmare in practical gig-playing terms..but what a combination!! i personally dont trigger the arranger from a controller keyboard, i find it too awkward, but others may have had better experiences.

dennis

#171667 - 04/29/05 11:10 PM Re: Things change
Scottyee Offline

Dennis, interested in Skyping?:

My Skype name is: scottyee http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/010599.html

Scott

#171668 - 04/29/05 11:16 PM Re: Things change
manic2257 Offline

yes scott i might well be ..i read with interest the posts re this, might check into it... have just followed the link and bookmarked the page...i am about to do my bi-ennial re-format and re-load, so i will look at it after i do that..prob later tonight..thanks again. sounds like a real hoot!!! (hee hee no pun )

dennis

[This message has been edited by manic2257 (edited 04-29-2005).]

#171669 - 04/29/05 11:23 PM Re: Things change
Scottyee Offline

Dennis: Please email me first so we can arrange a chat session time, as the time zone difference between California & wherever you are in Australia is pretty huge. Thanks. Scott

#171670 - 04/29/05 11:29 PM Re: Things change
manic2257 Offline

no prob scott, will do

dennis

#171671 - 04/29/05 11:43 PM Re: Things change
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
as far as I know, the main differences between the RD 700 SX and the RD 300 SX are the different action, the lack of two expansion slots and -most important- the lack of the beautiful multisampled Steinway (I think it's called "Superior Grand"). It's true that the same piano can be found in the new SRX-11 card, just released by Roland), but since the 300 SX has no expansion slots the only way to have that sound would be to buy a Fantom XR and insert the SRX-11 into one of the SIX slots.
As you know, I had been thinking about the same lines: adding a 76 or 88 notes controller to my rig and play the Tyros via midi. I was thinking of the 700 SX because is very thin and this would enable me to lower the upper tier (where the Tyros would be) without compromising the access to the display and the buttons of the lower keyboard, but even so I think that I couldn't reach easily all the Tyros buttons and maybe should buy a pedalboard to trigger things like fills, style variations, etc.
Even most important, I don't think that I would feel at ease having to do things like editing styles or registrations, because ergonomically speaking it would be more tiresome and time consuming.
The experiences I had in the past led me to think that it's much better to have two keyoards on the same level, maybe at a 90° angle. In this case the G 70 too could be an option.
Anyway, if you are interested in reading more on the 300 SX. you will find some user reviews here: RD 300 SX user reviews

You can then compare them with the user reviews of the RD 700 SX
Ciao
Andrea

#171672 - 04/30/05 01:16 AM Re: Things change
bbc Offline

Loc: France
Roland never wants to say that the sounds from SRX-11 are coming from Steinway, Bosendorfer or Yamaha C3... They don't to pay the "copyright". I am a big fan of piano, I tried all kind of keyboards. From Yamaha to Roland, passing through Kurzweill and Korg.
I really like Roland sound with the plus of the keyboard action which is more close than others. IMHO, Roland sound is really pure, but speaking quality of piano sound, it's also really subjective. You love or not. Whatever we say, we need to listen carefully with a high end headphone and never compare it with different monitors because the comparison will be biased by the quality of monitor. Only one high end headphone for all that makes the best comparison.

Scott, I thing you have real piano, isn't it? Let us know you opinion.

A remark, the sound expension card can be combinated with the effects on the host keyboard which gives the better sound or not (enhacement of the hammer hitting, resonance in the piano case, and reverb...)

bbc,
An owner of XV-88 with SRX11 card and G70,
And a lover of piano sound.

#171673 - 04/30/05 01:22 AM Re: Things change
bbc Offline

Loc: France
"Make a test" means bring your own high end headphone for listening the direct sampled sound from the machines.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online