SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#171654 - 04/29/05 04:44 AM Things change
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
I have been a Tyros owner for almost two and a half years by now. Before that I had PSR9000 and before the PSR9000 I had PSR4000. At the moment I also have S08 and I use it mostly as a digital piano. In many ways I like Yamaha keyboards. They all have had very high quality sounds and many advanced features that I like. These two are the main reasons why I always choosed a Yamaha keyboard. But in many ways I have been disappointed. For example the OS of the PSR9000 was not ready when I bought it. I had to wait for six months to get the OS version 2 and even that was full of bugs. Also the customer support of Yamaha here in Finland is very poor. I didnīt even get the OS 2 manual.

The same thing is going on with the Tyros. There are some functions missing on the current OS of Tyros. Also Yamaha doesnīt support Tyros owners at all. I havenīt seen a new OS update for a long time. Also Yamaha doesnīt support Mac users very well. The Tyros Mac software is so poor that I donīt use them at all. I also donīt like the styles. For example the styles PA1Xpro are much better. So the Tyros will be my last Yamaha product.

Things change. Today I donīt much need the styles anymore. The truth is that I donīt need a keyboard anymore. What I need more and more is a synthesizer. A synthesizer like Korg Triton Extreme or Roland Fantom for composing and recording music and also for creating sounds. I also need more and more the features that a synthesizer has (like sampler, SPDIF connection and etc) and less the features that a keyboard has (like vocal harmonizer).

The poor thing is that I donīt have much knowledge about synthesizers. I have two options Korg Triton Extreme and Yamaha Fantom. Which of them is better? I want to have a synth that has very high quality sounds and is easy to use. I would also need a good sequencer and the possibility to add more sounds to the synth later.

So the question is, which of the two synths should I buy? I would be very grateful of all your help.

Micco

#171655 - 04/29/05 04:55 AM Re: Things change
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Well, you could go to any forum and get many differing opinions on whether a Triton or Fantom is better. I don't think either is better, just a little different from one another, and each has it's strong suits that will make an individual like one or the other better.

I have the Motif ES btw, which is the main competition to the Fantom X and Triton Extreme. I won't tell you it's better, just that it's the right one for me. I surely wouldn't turn down either of the others if someone wanted to give me one though. Play around on both of your options for a while if you possibly can. That's truly the best way to decide.

BTW, not that it matters, but none of these fit the classic definitions of what most users think of as synthesizers. These are all workstations, that have unique features that synths don't ( and sometimes vice versa ). Most players might think of subtractive analog or analog modeling or some other type of synthesis ( there are many types including sample based) when you use the word synthesizer.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-29-2005).]

#171656 - 04/29/05 05:12 AM Re: Things change
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
I can't really tell you what's better but if you like Yamaha then the choice propably is...the Fantom??? Isn't it a synth made by Roland?

Otherwise if you're using so much synths by Yamaha then a new sound colour made by Korg could be amazing. But at the end you will have to decide it for your own. Like Bluezplayer said try to figure it out! You have your own key feeling and your own imagination of that what should come out of it...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#171657 - 04/29/05 05:16 AM Re: Things change
Bluezplayer Offline

LOL Good point Sheriff. I missed that one myself.

Micco..

Triton series = Korg

Fantom series = Roland

Motif series`= Yamaha

AJ

#171658 - 04/29/05 05:23 AM Re: Things change
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Micco,

You make some great points regarding Yamaha, Tyros, and arranger keyboards. I agree with all of them!

I have the Tyros, the Motif ES 88, and a Korg Triton Extreme. I have played the Fantom. Each of these boards have their own personalities. I purchased the TE for it's Synth and Orchestral sounds, easy interface, and variety of sounds.

I purchased the MOTIF ES for the keybed (88 weighted keys) and the piano sounds, I purchased the Tyros again for orchestral sounds, fast patch selection, and rehearsal.

I have played the Fantom, and it has some great Piano and other sounds. I was very impressed. In the end I think the MO ES has the best overall sound, the TE biggest quantity of quality sounds and great interface.

My needs have changed as well. I am now thinking about selling both the MO ES 88 and the TE and purchasing a high quality MIDI controller and then going to RACK units. I really don't use the sequencers or composition features of the MO and the TE very much as I play with bands. I use the Tyros for sequencing and style performance.

I am also growing very weary of the Tyros. I HATE the keybed. I need 76 keys, I hate the Vocorder, and the support for new OS releases has been horrible.

I am seriously looking at getting the Roland G70. That has the FAntom pianos plus you can add expansion boards (SRX) and samples.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#171659 - 04/29/05 05:31 AM Re: Things change
Bluezplayer Offline

Al

Do you think we'll ever see a G70 at Alto ?

Great store, maybe one of the best in all the land even.. but I don't expect to see one there. I'd love it if someone close by had a floor model though...

AJ

#171660 - 04/29/05 11:46 AM Re: Things change
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Al,
if you are interested in a master keyboard with excellent piano sounds I suggest that you give a look at the Roland RD 700 SX: it has both the Fantom piano (which I believe is a Yamaha) and the new Roland piano found on the SRX-11 card (which is a Steinway). Both pianos were sampled at four velocity levels, note for note.
As a master keyboard it can have up to four zones and can trasmit bank and program changes to two separate midi outs. You can save all your settings (internal and external) in registrations (or whatever Roland calls them), both internal and external (it has also a USB connector).
All in all, it has a lot of interesting features, including two SRX slots and, by the way, costs a lot less than the G 70, which has NOT the same master keyboard functions.

Roland 700 SX

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 04-29-2005).]

#171661 - 04/29/05 01:31 PM Re: Things change
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Andrea (Dreamer): The RD-700SX: http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=11&subcatid=45&prodid=RD%2D700SX

sounds like an excellent choice, but how about it's 88 note brother, the RD-300SX: http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=11&subcatid=45&prodid=RD%2D300SX

The RD-300SX's significantly lighter (35 lbs vs 54 lbs) affording much easier transportability for gigging etc, and significantly less expensive too, yet both include the awesome Fantom X acoustic piano sample. I believe the only real difference between these boards (of which explains the huge weight & price difference: RD-300SX street price: under $1,395 & RD-700SX s treet price: under $2,195 ) is that the RD-700SX utilizes actual fully weighted HAMMER ACTION piano keys whereas the RD-300SX has 'compact progressive hammer action' whatever that means.

Has anyone here had the chance to audition and/or compare both of these keyboards? Are the master kb capabilities & other features of these 2 kbs the same?

I for one am most interested in the RD-300SX and interesting in getting more info & feedback on it on how the action & it's keyfeel COMPARES to the semi-weighted keyfeel on the Roland G70 or Ketron SD1.

I'm also wondering if either (or both) of these keyboards includes the classic Fantom X's piano feature which simulates the change of sound which occurs when a Grand Piano's lid is raised and lowered. Thanks.

Scott

#171662 - 04/29/05 01:53 PM Re: Things change
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
hello scott, i played both the RD700 and 300 b4 buying my Promega2 and i owned,briefly, an X8.. they were all at the same shop..the rd700 btw is 88 notes as well..the rd700 felt like it had the same keys as the fantom x8,close to the real thing with good key travel and the sensation you get when striking the real wooden key of an acoustic.roland claim this to be their best ( they're prob all made by Fatar anyway!) the rd300 felt more like a stiffer va76 keyboard(or a very stiff synth action with a small bit of wood feel..hard to describe accurately hope that helps))..there IS a definite difference between the two..if you prefer the weight and slower response of an acoustic piano, then the rd700 would be it...if you like to play fast synth lead lines, prob the 300 would be a better bet..personally i went for the promega because of the keyboard modelling (eg the rhodes is almost impossible to pick from my old stage 73!!) and the keyboard was pretty much the same as the X8...
hope that helps scott

P.S. the midi capabilities of each are exactly the same, and they both carry the 88 note grand piano sample with its various options...although personally, i still reckon the sample on the X8 was just that little bit different to the RD's..slightly "fatter" if that means anything to you..they were all played thru the same set of speakers too..

dennis

peace, out

[This message has been edited by manic2257 (edited 04-29-2005).]

#171663 - 04/29/05 07:38 PM Re: Things change
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Dennis, thanks for your informative response. I'm wondering now if the Roland RD-300SX's key action & feel (except 88 vs 76 keys) might perhaps be identical to the impressive but much costlier G-70's. Anyone know? - Scott

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online