SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#171600 - 01/11/06 05:42 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-3000 Vs. Casio MZ-2000
gustavts Offline

Yes guys that's the main problem for me...
the warranty and labor...in the store said me that they give me 1 year. It's a big and known store, it's there since 1984...
But after all the issue in the corner of the MZ-2000 is my greatest problem...I can't get out of my mind!!! That's because I'm going to left an URL to a picture where I marked exactly the issue... http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd2/16838/MZ-2000PICTURE.JPG
I know that's not the best example picture of all times!!!jejeje But at least now you know exactly where the issue is...
To give more information I will try to explain:
In that place the plastic is a little open...it's not broken...
It's blended...I touched it with my fingers and it doesn't feel like as was forced with anything to open it...
It's like as somekind of external source of heat had done it...like a lamp or something like that.
The keyboard except that issue is in perfect shape and works great.
What do you think??? Could be a factory issue? Do you know if in that exactly place in the keyboard is something that could generate such kind of heat, like a power source or something?
At first I thought that maybe this issue could be generated by extremely use!!! Like left the keyboard powered on for hours and hours in the store ready for demonstration... Honestly I don't know.
Thank you guys!!!

#171601 - 01/11/06 06:08 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-3000 Vs. Casio MZ-2000
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Here is my take on the Technics/Casio mystery..
I think no way is Technics involved with the design of the MZ2000...There are no common features of the two companies..
First Casio has incorporated the synths of their mid 80's...the CZ series, with most of the synth design from the CZ1[86],,the best of the series...it also includes features of the VZ series...Technics does not use any of these features in their own line...how can they design for another brand?

The other designs are from the CT [top models of Casio]..

The MZ2000 sound technology is continued in the current WK series..

All of the above confirm to me that Technics[Panasonic] had nothing to do with the development of the MZ2000.

If the question arises that Casio had influenced/designed/built Technics keyboards...I would find it more believable[Casio has never manufactured for Technics]..

The only common association...Third party software company, Technote, developed software for Casio, Technics, and Roland[probably others too]..

Parts are still available for the MZ[from Japan], and a lot of the electronics are generic..

That's my view....

BTW...that crack/opening in that area of the MZ, is no big deal...Do the pitch and mod wheels work?
If so, don't worry about that damaged corner...

Which ever board[MZ or PSR] you buy, you will be okay...

#171602 - 01/11/06 06:09 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-3000 Vs. Casio MZ-2000
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
My opinion is,if the 2 boards are that close in comparison, then I would buy the MZ, it will leave you with $1100 in your pocket,and you have a keyboard that will give you a lot of use and maybe if you sell it in a couple of years time you should get half of your money back,and by then Yamaha will have brought out another board which will be even better than the 3000, easy,mike

#171603 - 01/11/06 06:50 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-3000 Vs. Casio MZ-2000
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Gustavo,
Fran is right...the issue with the defect on the MZ-2000 looks to be very minor....if in doubt,ask if an independent technician can examine it.
Leaving a newer keyboard on for an extended period of time is much less damaging than turning it on and off many times.
The MZ-2000 is probably your best bet.

Fran,
This was an earlier post by you....
" I thought it would be interesting to post our feelings of the Arranger keyboards we each owned...
Casio MZ2000,,First impression was okay, but did not like overall.. "

Your take on the Technics/Casio connection is only a guess,and based on assumptions.There are way more similarities than differences.
The MZ-2000 was a very different product for Casio,and very much like a Technics KN series,which quite possibly,were the reasons that led very many people to believe there was a one time connection.Remember,the MZ was one time model for Casio.The WK series,although very nice, are not in the same league as the MZ-2000.

Ian

#171604 - 01/11/06 07:22 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-3000 Vs. Casio MZ-2000
Fran Carango Offline

Ian, my quote was true
" I thought it would be interesting to post our feelings of the Arranger keyboards we each owned...
Casio MZ2000,,First impression was okay, but did not like overall.. "

Coming from my preference Roland products, I decided to use my Roland E-600 instead of the MZ, for smaller jobs..They are similar..speakers , mic with effects,drawbar organ, floppy disk, sequence playback, good to great sounds, and the E-600 had a vocal harmonizer...I had the same money in each of them..So I decided to use the E-600..After I got back the MZ2000, and no longer have the E-600..I played around in more detail and found some features I really liked[stereo inputs, by passable/ and with effects...The edit ability of sounds, and the flexibility of the drawbar organs/effects..]..It fills my need for the purposes I had in mind NOW..

Ian , I do not see any similarity MZ to the KN5000/KN6000..

Can you enlighten me?

All of the features of the MZ can be found in prior Casio lines..

The KN used the horrible composite memory system that wasted a lot of memory..If they improved this with[supposibly] design of the MZ...why would they revert back to the same system with their own KN6500 and KN7000?

Sorry, you can't convince me yet...Give me what you got!!

#171605 - 01/11/06 08:45 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-3000 Vs. Casio MZ-2000
ianmcnll Offline

Fran,

I fail to see why I should try and convince you about the Technics/Casio when I am not completely convinced myself.

I do question your statements below,however,

" Ian, I need to correct you on the Casio chord recognition..Actually the MZ is superior to the PSR3000..You can turn on "on bass chord" that reads in any inversion other than root position.Also the designers of the MZ went farther...you can turn on "6th chord" recognition...and another feature,,you can turn on "tension chord"..

No where in the MZ-2000 manual (you provided the PDF web site for it) does it mention any of these modes.

The MZ-2000 uses the same old limited chord recognition system as the rest of the line and Casio has not progressed beyond this,even in the new ones. Full Range...Fingered......Casio Chord.

This is very much inferior to the PSR-3000 which offers 7 types . Even the old PSR-2700/1700 had "On Bass" back in 1993....(it actually began on the PSR-SQ-16 which was introduced even earlier)

The organ drawbar mode in the MZ2000 is different ..... it provides 8 drawbar positions(like a Hammond) as opposed to three positions in the WK series...a step backwards in my opinion.

Ian

#171606 - 01/11/06 09:23 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-3000 Vs. Casio MZ-2000
Fran Carango Offline

Ian, I am never wrong!!![maybe seldom]..Page 43 and page 114..

#171607 - 01/11/06 09:54 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-3000 Vs. Casio MZ-2000
ianmcnll Offline

I see....is this mode availailable while playing "live" or only after a recording?

Also,are these exact types of fingering modes avalialable on the WK series...or any other model?
If the answer to the second question is "no",than that would make the MZ-2000 very different from the other Casio keyboards,and more in line with something from Technics.
Ian

#171608 - 01/11/06 04:29 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-3000 Vs. Casio MZ-2000
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin

#171609 - 01/11/06 06:18 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-3000 Vs. Casio MZ-2000
Fran Carango Offline

I am already bidding on it...I don't need another one, but I know how much the adapter cost, manual etc...I have to take it if is too low to pass it up...
If another SZ member is interested in it , I will pass, if it helps you get a good deal...Keep in mind the value in the US is $500-$650...

Please let me know if anyone here is going to bid...so I don't get in your way..

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online