SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#171406 - 01/15/06 11:50 PM OT: How do I get rid of the buzz from my flurescent light?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
How do I get rid of the buzz from my flurescent light?

The noise is problematic considering its in my studio...

Thanks, Chony

#171407 - 01/16/06 03:25 AM Re: OT: How do I get rid of the buzz from my flurescent light?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chony,

Is the buzz coming through your recording/sound system, or is it just an anoying buzz you can hear in the room?

If the buzz is not coming through the sound system, but is lound enough to be picked up by a sensitive mic, you may just need to change the bulbs, starter or ballast transformer, depending on the type of flurescent fixture.

If the buzz if coming over through the system as electrical noise, you have a grounding problem either in the equipment, or possible in your wall outlets.

Good luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#171408 - 01/16/06 06:59 AM Re: OT: How do I get rid of the buzz from my flurescent light?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Turn it off!!!

#171409 - 01/16/06 08:40 AM Re: OT: How do I get rid of the buzz from my flurescent light?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Replace the ignitor or the tube. could be either.
Usually the igniter.
cheers
Eddie Johnson

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#171410 - 01/16/06 05:17 PM Re: OT: How do I get rid of the buzz from my flurescent light?
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
its not a problem...it just is!!! its why no pro studio use fluro's, they'll have either incandescant or the most popular, downlights that run off their own 12v transformers....the only fluros studio use are in areas on seperate power/light circuits far removed from the studio work supply....you could try a line filter on the power going into your work area, it will reduce it considerably but not remove it entirely.
cheers

#171411 - 01/16/06 06:13 PM Re: OT: How do I get rid of the buzz from my flurescent light?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Thank you everybody.

I replaced the tube; but not the ignitor as this light doesn't seem to have one (I think its part of the tube) ... but the problem persists.

manic, you're probably right, as I have noticed that every flurescent fixture seems to give me this noise. I'll have to look into replacing it...

Thanks,
Chony

#171412 - 01/16/06 06:19 PM Re: OT: How do I get rid of the buzz from my flurescent light?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I was going to suggest better grounding along with the choke filters, similar to those used to filter out RF, but I think manic hit it right.

I never gave it much thought before, but I can't remember ever seeing flourescents in a studio either. Luckily, more by accident than anything else, I didn't install them in mine either.

AJ

#171413 - 01/16/06 10:57 PM Re: OT: How do I get rid of the buzz from my flurescent light?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Thank you everybody.

not the ignitor as this light doesn't seem to have one (I think its part of the tube)

Hi Chony
This is something I've not come across before. I would like to know the type of it please.
Other readers please forgive the OT aspect .
cheers

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#171414 - 01/17/06 12:03 PM Re: OT: How do I get rid of the buzz from my flurescent light?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I'm with eddie - you must have a starter somewhere - inside the casing?

#171415 - 01/17/06 02:39 PM Re: OT: How do I get rid of the buzz from my flurescent light?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Chony
There are two main types of fittings, one which uses a choke & starter, and one which uses a ballast, so is starter less. (Also known as instant start)
These days the cheaper fittings tend to use starters, whereas office specification use high frequency ballasts.
If it is buzzing you can try fixing the light fitting more secure, and making sure there are no loose heat shields in the fitting, if both fail then you will need a new fitting.
Go for office computer spec, but be warned they are expensive.
Hope this helps.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online