SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#171208 - 08/02/02 02:28 PM XD-9.. Am I the only one who thinks it's overpriced?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Am I the only one who feels this way.. I'm sure this keyboard sounds great and all, but I can't see ANY reason in spending $1,700+ on a keyboard that has no sequencer and no sampler. I could understand if this thing had 88 fully weighted keys, but it's just has 61 non weighted. You can buy a fully loaded professional synth for less than the price of the XD-9.. Hell the Yamaha Motif-6 costs less than the XD-9 and I think it completely blows the XD out of the water.. It sells for only $1,689 and that board is loaded! Maybe everyone else sees it different but I can't justify spending over $1,700 on an arranger with no sequencer, sampler, or weighted keys.. For the price the XD-9 is going for they should of at least add the keybed of the X-1..... I'm not knocking the keyboard itself because I'm sure this thing sounds great, but is it worth the $1,700 or so? I got this price of $1,700+ from Music123.com... Are they selling for less anywhere else.. I personally wouldn't spend more than $1,400.00 on a board with it's options.. Even the Korg Triton Le allows you to add a sampler and it costs less than the XD-9

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#171209 - 08/02/02 03:48 PM Re: XD-9.. Am I the only one who thinks it's overpriced?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Squeak ,

So you played the XD9 ? dano

#171210 - 08/02/02 04:09 PM Re: XD-9.. Am I the only one who thinks it's overpriced?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The XD9 is an arranger, the others are not. Arrangers do more. Most synths are way overpriced. Just my opinions.
Don

#171211 - 08/02/02 05:57 PM Re: XD-9.. Am I the only one who thinks it's overpriced?
squeak_D Offline

Dan0,
I haven't been lucky enough to play this keyboard yet.. It's just that when I see the price it makes me step back... Even if I could afford it I personally just can't see the reason to spend that much on an arranger that does not sequence or sample, or at least have them as an option.. For example if they offered an expansion that added sequencing and/or sampling, then I would say the price is decent because it at least gives the user the option.

Don, of course there are some pro synths that are overpriced. When the Korg Triton first came out that thing was WAY overpriced.. Only recently have they been dropped to where they belong. There are also some that are not overpriced like the Motif-6, Triton Le, and a few others.. Just ask AJ about the Motif... I'm not in any way talking bad about the XD-9.. I know that board must sound and play like a beast! It's just that if I'm going to spend over $1,700 on a keyboard I'd want it to do more than just record styles.. At that price range just a basic 16 track 30-40,000 note sequencer would have been great. I just don't feel the price matches with the keyboards specs. Again this is just my opinion..... I'm not in any way trying to offend andyone or downtalk the XD-9 itself, just the price.

squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#171212 - 08/02/02 09:00 PM Re: XD-9.. Am I the only one who thinks it's overpriced?
mc Offline

Loc: New York
squeak,

I would like to explain the ketron keyboards.
The XD9 is not over priced just for the fact of it quality of sounds and styles. I understand where people would feel that its over priced. arranger keyboards can't be compared to a synth. I would think, (guys correct me if I'm wrong) arrangers are more used for a live musician (single, duo, trio, etc.)and they are some who just use them to play midi's. who really just use them for playing live. The ketron xd9 keyboard is fair price compared to other arrangers like the Korg pa80, Roland va7, yamaha 9000pro.

also I remember paying $1,750.00 plus tax for the solton ms50 which also had no sequencer, sampler, or weighted keys back in 1995. (rings a bell guys)
At that time is was the best sounding arranger that was out...(just my opinion)
Now in 2002 for a keyboard like the xd9 which replaced the MS50/60 for $1,700.00 is a steal. It has the best of SD1 and the X1 sounds and styles.

In the style of music that I play (portuguese) the only thing I think about is:

1. sounds great (voices and styles)
2. light weight
3. is it upgradable
4. purchasing additional styles

don't feel that is overpriced, I would purchase one my self but I play with the x1 and sd1 on gigs. If you get the chance to hear it then you will know why.........

#171213 - 08/02/02 10:03 PM Re: XD-9.. Am I the only one who thinks it's overpriced?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Squeak.
I think the XD9 is a bargain! I have to tell you....when I met with the owners of Ketron from Italy at this past winters NAMM show, our conversation was all about what I needed to sell more keyboards in my store. I strongly stated to them that I needed a line of products with more variations in price. And within 2 months, Ketron responded with the introduction of the VEGA and the XD9 and XD3. This is a company that listens! and I'm thankful for that.
When the sounds are, in my opinion, the best Ketron has given us, and the styles sound even better to me than before, and the fact that most of the customers I sell these products to just play their keyboards and don't do much recording with them, I think the price is a major breakthrough! I can remember just a few years ago when the $1500.00 price range got you a Korg i5s or a Roland G600 or nothing from Yamaha because you either bought a PSR640 which was a good keyboard for $1000.00 but you had to go up to a PSR8000 for $3000.00 to get one that was really good, and I'm feeling like our choices are really exciting right now. Generalmusic as we all know will be shipping the Genesys very soon now and although this keyboard will still be over the $3000.00 price point, look at all they are giving you compared to other similiary prices keyboards. A CD recordable drive, direct hard disk drive recording, 100watt speaker system, etc. etc. These are ground breaking features on arranger keybords and I am looking foward to a strong future for arranger keyboards.
With the XD9 and VEGA both under $2000.00 and the Korg PA60 for under $1300.00 and the Yamaha PSR2000 for around $1100.00, look at how much more bang for the buck you are buying. Even the price of the VA7 has come down to this price point over the past few months (around $1500.00). Lets all keep our fingers crossed that the manufactures are seing all this and will keep responding to our requests for better and better keyboards at more reasonable prices.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda,
(Retired 2021)

#171214 - 08/02/02 10:47 PM Re: XD-9.. Am I the only one who thinks it's overpriced?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The XD9 is priced right. You have to play it before you can tell if the price is justified. A sampler and a sequencer would rot in my hands .... I have outboard gear to do that with ... I don't want my live rig to do studio tasks.
Play the XD, and then make up your mind.

#171215 - 08/03/02 03:08 AM Re: XD-9.. Am I the only one who thinks it's overpriced?
tonkan Offline

Loc: Sweden
At Synthplanet the XD-9 has almost the same price as PSR2000 and PA60.

#171216 - 08/03/02 10:18 PM Re: XD-9.. Am I the only one who thinks it's overpriced?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's easy to advertise something that you don't have - They did this before too.
I don't think you'll see it actually happen.

After 2 days ... I still think the XD is priced right.

#171217 - 08/04/02 06:01 AM Re: XD-9.. Am I the only one who thinks it's overpriced?
squeak_D Offline

I guess it's really just a matter of opinion. I personally love arranger keyboards, but I've owned both arrangers and professional synths at the same time. At one time I had a Roland XP-60, Yamaha EX-7, PSR-550, and Yamaha DJX(original) It just falls down to personal taste and needs... I on one hand like to have a keyboard that sequences and so forth, and if I buy one that is strictly for performance, I can't see spending over $1,700 on one (unless it had 88 weighted keys) I'm sure there will be many users who'll buy the XD-9 and will love it. I have no doubt that Solton keyboards sound great if not better than most. Personally I think there is no other keyboard out there with better and more realistic styles than Solton. I talk to pro synth owners all the time about why they don't buy arrangers, and most will be surprised to find out that it's not the fact that it has speakers, and auto accomp..., it's the price that scares them away. In the pro synth world the Yamaha Motif really made an impact on the market. This keyboard is amazing and can be bought for less than $1,700, and it has an integrated sampling sequencer, sampler, preset drum patterns, huge memory for the sounds. Killer synth engine, ect. Owning both arrangers and synths, I've often felt that some arrangers are a bit over priced as well when compared to what a synth can do. Again it's all personal taste.

Squeak

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online