SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#171007 - 01/15/07 10:48 PM Re: Keyboard travel advice sought
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
About two years ago I bought an SKB hardshell case. I took my Korg from Canada to England and back in it - you know the sort of thing that goes on in airports, manhandling, drop-kicking, general everyday airport baggage abuse. That case came through with flying colours (sorry about the pun!).

Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.skbcases.com/

[This message has been edited by renig (edited 01-15-2007).]

#171008 - 01/16/07 04:18 AM Re: Keyboard travel advice sought
MarcK Offline

So what's the consensus - I'm taking a non-stop flight from NY to Atlanta. The gig is later that day. Do I ship the keyboard separately a week before, or is it safe enough to get an SKB case and bring it with me?

#171009 - 01/16/07 05:19 AM Re: Keyboard travel advice sought
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Marc,

If the decission were mine, I would be driving to Atlanta--it's only about 10 hours from here. I've had lots of luggage lost by airlines, but everything I've shipped via fedex has made it safe and on time. It's your call as to which method of shipping you feel comfortable with.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#171010 - 01/16/07 05:49 AM Re: Keyboard travel advice sought
MarcK Offline

So far it sounds like I'm going to just ship it. Thanks for all the advice. Has anyone ever tried taking a keyboard on-board the plane and putting it overhead? (I'd have to check for exact measurements but I think a PSR-3000 in a basic soft bag would fit in.) From what I've seen, the TSA is supposed to allow musicians to take instruments as carry-ons....

#171011 - 01/16/07 06:17 AM Re: Keyboard travel advice sought
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Taking it as a carry-on may be the surest way to get it there, BUT even if it would fit in the overhead, will the airline allow you to take up that much room in the overhead? ... I know I have seen guitars carried on, even in 'hard' cases ...
also ... would putting the kb through the x-ray machine cause any problems for it? ... I know they put lap-tops through all the time, but ??? ... t.

#171012 - 01/16/07 10:00 AM Re: Keyboard travel advice sought
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I think Gary has a good remedy. I have a (Phila. area) friend who works/or worked in Fla. frequently. He UPS's his equipment to an address near the first date of his tour. He does have someone to accept the packages and the cost is included in the "expences" clause of the contract. I'm sure that some of you guys who worked the cruises used this method to transport equipment or know of someone who did and the booker usually pays for shipping.
Ciao,
Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerry T (edited 01-16-2007).]

#171013 - 01/16/07 01:55 PM Re: Keyboard travel advice sought
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
Hi Guys,

I have been fortunate to travel all over the world and here's my opinion;

I've sent via Fed-x... IN A HARD SHELL CASE ALWAYS
it works and you can insure it. But the apes at the shipping co. are not easy on it so you may want to remove and hand carry the hard drive. But it does work.

I have also gone the airline route...
DOOR check it so you can WATCH them put it into the belly of the plane
I have also purchased a seat for it and in a soft bag straped it into the seat next to me. Can you say $$$? It will not be allowed in the overhead.

If you travel often (like I use to you) you can become a 'TSA Certified Shipper' which at the time included a interview and a finger prints but at the airport things were much easier and they don't ask you to 'please turn the unit on and operate it'.

On ballance... if its a one time deal the Fed-x sounds like the way to go.

Its enough to make ya want to take up guitar!

Good Luck

Tom

#171014 - 01/17/07 07:43 PM Re: Keyboard travel advice sought
MarcK Offline

"I have also gone the airline route...
DOOR check it so you can WATCH them put it into the belly of the plane"

I've flown a few dozen times in my life but I'm not sure what you mean by "DOOR checking it" - kindly clarify?

#171015 - 01/18/07 02:15 AM Re: Keyboard travel advice sought
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
Sure...

TRY to take it on the plane... as carry on... then at the gate they will flag it and at the ramp there's a door and they take it, along with strolers for babies, etc. and it goes in last and you can sometimes watch
them put it in the plane.

The main thing is to see to it that it is ON the same plane as you are.

There will be an extra over-size, over -weight Charge BTW

#171016 - 01/20/07 10:15 PM Re: Keyboard travel advice sought
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I have flown with my Tyros and Tyros 2 on more than 50 flights. I use a custom made Hardshell case from a company that is out of business, but you can get similar cases all over the place including ebay. I check it down below and get charged overweight ($20-25), but four times out of five they forget to charge oversize - which is the big cost ($80-100).

Make sure you check in AT LEAST a full hour before the flight if you want your keyboard to arrive on your flight.

I've only once had my keyboard delayed in three years and over fifty - maybe more - flights.

Chony

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online