SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#170878 - 03/06/04 01:27 PM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
S0C9 Offline

Loc: NRH, TX, USA
Marck,
regarding the *frustration* you had finding your way around the PA80......

I think your reaction can proablably apply to most of us who have gotten used to a particular vendors' OS implementation..... I've played Korg, Roland and Yammy over the years (among others, and not just their keys either) and find switching from one to the other amazingly frustrating.

I find Rolands keboards to be the most intuitive - i.e. the ability to sit down sight unseen and dabble with settings using markings on the buttons and menu info - with Yamaha being the LEAST intuitive. Remember.. IMHO..!

Once you get used to any format, navigating another OS (arranger or not) becomes a chore. A couple of years ago (I owned both Roland and Korg boards back then) I bought a Motif, right after they came out. Had it for 29 days and returned it.... couldn't get the hang of how to navigate/construct and do simple things like pattern play, midi file playback, and so on. I was thoroughly disenchanted. I've also had similr experiences w/ Yammy keys back in the EX5 days too... I did LOVE the keys on the Mo tho'... best on the market for the price IMHO...

Bottom line is - with all due respect to indivdual opinions - take the seller up on that 30 day no-questions asked return policy. You can REALLY try a number of boards using that approach. In your case Yammy works, in mine it didn't, but a few minutes of noodling in GC should not a bad board make [ ]....

Steve

#170879 - 03/07/04 09:28 PM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
pianoman51 Offline

Loc: Lakewood,Ohio
Just wanted to put input on the Korg. I have been playing arranger keyboards for 12 years. I have a Yamaha psr 740 & a Ketron XD9 and I just bought a Korg PA 60 little brother to the PA 80.

Here is the a very small problem with the PA 60. When you hit the fill button it is instant no matter what beat of the bar. Also the bass root note comes in instantly making the fill sound out of sync. This is good & this is bad. It is good because it is precise. It is bad because you have to keep a count going on in your head.

But I will have to say the Korg sounds are awesome! The piano-sax-sweet harmonica and guitars are GOOD!

This is only my opinion and I am glad we have different choices. It would be a dull world if everything was one color.
PIANOMAN

#170880 - 03/08/04 05:21 AM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
Bluebird Offline

Pianoman,
You say that when you hit the fill button it is instant no matter what beat of the bar (into Pa60), and that it is good because it is precise, but it is bad because you have to keep a count going on in your head.

Well, the same is into PSR2000. When you hit a variation button, the new variation (or the fill) is instant too, no matter what beat of the bar.

I remember Rolands work in other way. When you push the fill button, or variation button, the new vatiation starts to next bar, not at the moment you hit the button. I think this way is a lot better, because you haven't to keep a count in your head.

I don't know if this Yamaha or Korg way of working may be modified. Is it possible to set PSR2000 for working as a Roland in this sense (that is, pushing a variation button makes the change starts to next bar)?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Bluebird (edited 03-08-2004).]

#170881 - 03/08/04 07:47 AM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
pianoman51 Offline

Loc: Lakewood,Ohio
Bluebird
I agree with you about the problem of keeping a count in your head sucks.There is no way of changing this. I have spoken to the keyboard manager where I bought the Korg and he says this is the way Korg set up the fills.The "BIG" problem is the bass guitar note. It is "ACCENTED". This makes the fill sound out of sync when you hit fill button at the wrong time. I hope this makes sense to you.

Also I owned a Roland G600 arrannger. It waited until the next bar to put in a fill. It was smooth.

Hope I have not made this to confussing.
PIANOMAN

#170882 - 03/08/04 10:39 AM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
Bluebird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianoman51:
Korg says this is the way Korg set up the fills. PIANOMAN

Really, this little gadget was one I liked more in Rolands. They are so smooth when they wait until the next bar to put in a fill.

Afterwards, no problem when you hit fill button at the wrong time. Always, the keyboard wait for you until the next bar.

I sorry Korg can't modify it. But what about Yamahas? Is there any way to modify it into yamahas?

#170883 - 03/08/04 08:01 PM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Actually, I like the way Yamaha does it--you can hit partial fills depending on what part of the beat you press the button. I really don't have to consciously keep the beat in my head, I just "feel" it. Probably has to do with playing them for so long. For the fill to start on the next measure, you hit the button on the last beat of the previous measure.
DonM

#170884 - 03/09/04 06:10 AM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
hiteshs1 Offline

Loc: Mumbai,Maharashtra,India.
Quote:
Originally posted by michaeldevine:
Any one can shed any light on a comparison between the 2 ?

I personally use 2100 and am quite happy with the ease of use as compared to the PA50 (tried it a while ago). The Korg voices sound better, key feel is almost same, and so are the styles...actually the 2100 seems to have better styles....

Anything else ?

Dear Michel,
Before you jup i PA-50 just check this thread.
www.irishacts.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6502

A Well Wisher.

#170885 - 03/09/04 06:11 AM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
hiteshs1 Offline

Loc: Mumbai,Maharashtra,India.
Quote:
Originally posted by michaeldevine:
Any one can shed any light on a comparison between the 2 ?

I personally use 2100 and am quite happy with the ease of use as compared to the PA50 (tried it a while ago). The Korg voices sound better, key feel is almost same, and so are the styles...actually the 2100 seems to have better styles....

Anything else ?

Dear Michel,
Before you jup i PA-50 just check this thread.
www.irishacts.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6502

A Well Wisher.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online