SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17086 - 11/13/98 02:36 PM Can I use more than one bank of programs for my sequences?
hal3 Offline

Loc: fl
I am currently playing my sequences into my Korg 01w/pro, and am using both banks of 100 programs, [using controller 32, values 0 & 1]. I would like to be able to change to a synth module and not have to change all the program changes [and banks changes] in my sequences. Does anyone know of any current modules that have 2 programmable banks of 100, or know of another solution? Thanks in advance.

#17087 - 11/14/98 03:17 AM Re: Can I use more than one bank of programs for my sequences?
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
I hope I'm understanding you properly, but I THINK I've got it. If you're transferring sequences INTO the Korg from an outside PC, it should be fairly easy to simply type in the bank & program number changes as you assemble your tracks. As you can choose INTernal, EXTernal or ALL for triggering sounds per track in the Korg itself, decent software should also allow you to change that aspect of the track in the same way that you'd change programs proper. That way, you can choose from internal banks A & B at will or assign the track to an outboard unit, allowing you access to whatever you like, WHENever you like. You can do this ahead of time and set them up as sys-ex headers or specific controller messages in your PC, or go back and insert your controller messages by hand in OVDB (overdub) mode while the track plays. The latter may be more of a hassle, but I like the immediacy of it for MY purposes. If I've missed something here, respond and let's fine-tune it. Everyone misses something here & there and I'm sure no exception! Good luck.

#17088 - 11/14/98 03:43 AM Re: Can I use more than one bank of programs for my sequences?
hal3 Offline

I guess my first post wasn't very clear. Actually, Huey, what I want to do is replace the 01w/pro, which is the sound source for my Cakewalk sequences, with a module or rack mount synth. The 01/w has 2 banks of 100 PROGRAMMABLE programs, and since I am using sounds from both banks, I need to be able to mimic the sounds in the new unit to the sound setups in my 01/w. This way I don't have to change the program/bank changes at the beginning of all my sequences. Most new synth modules have only one progarammable bank of programs, tho they also have 1 bank of combinations. Thus the problem. Any thoughts? Do you know of any synths w. omore than 1 bank of pgms? Thanks.

#17089 - 11/14/98 09:58 AM Re: Can I use more than one bank of programs for my sequences?
buinu Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
I realize this is the Korg header but your question created this opening. Try a Kurzweil K2500 which has 10 (0-9) banks containing 100 programs each. Is this the type of answer you are looking for? If so, there are a number of synths which have more than two banks of sounds.

#17090 - 11/14/98 06:16 PM Re: Can I use more than one bank of programs for my sequences?
WS Offline

Maybe I'm confused too but my answer would be no....not without alot of hassle.
It sounds like you are assuming that if you have Bank 1, Channel 2, Patch 67 (lets say it's Funky Bass) using Cakewalk and your O1W, that if you plug a Kurzweil (or another synth besides and 01W) that it will still play a Funky Bass...not likely. You would have to change the Patch numbers in your midi files of Cakewalk to play a Funky Bass which may be program 9 on your new synth. That is why they invented General MIDI...so all synths will have a common language. Besides the Program being different, even once you found a matching one on your new synth the vel., modulation, and everything else may not match. Many times when downloading a SMF and I want to change from GM to Bank sounds I find it easier just to resequence that track.

#17091 - 11/14/98 06:25 PM Re: Can I use more than one bank of programs for my sequences?
WS Offline

If you can find an 01R/W it will match your PRO. If the 03R/W and 05R/W reads the 01W you could download your banks into them and that might work too....I think.

#17092 - 11/15/98 06:06 AM Re: Can I use more than one bank of programs for my sequences?
buinu Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
I suppose I too was confused when I posted my first response and still may be, but.....
If I understand your question, all you have to do is set up your "new" synths programs to match your 0w1. i.e. if program #32 on your 0w1 is a voice pad, write a voice program to the same location on your "new" synth. I believe you will find this to be more time consuming than inserting a program change and
there are easier ways. Providing your new synth has a built in sequencer, you can create a "sequence set-up" and disable program change... If the new synth has a "combination" or "performance" mode, you can create this set up in a similar fashion, again disabling program changes. However, regardless of which way you choose, you may find that the programming attributes (velosity, pressure, etc.) do not match you original and opt to re-record the entire track using the new program.

#17093 - 11/16/98 12:13 AM Re: Can I use more than one bank of programs for my sequences?
hal3 Offline

I appreciate your responses. I realize the easiest thing would be to try to find an 01w/R. This would solve the problem. I would prefer to be able to use one of the newer, smaller units with a built in computer interface. Also, the piano wave on the 01w/R is not as good as I'm used to on the pro. I think the only thing that would solve this for me is some sort of patch mapping hardware or software [that allowed mapping from one bank to another.] Anyway, thanks for the help!

#17094 - 11/16/98 10:36 PM Re: Can I use more than one bank of programs for my sequences?
WS Offline

My X5DR reads w series but I'm not sure if it would work for you since you are looking for two banks of 100 sounds. Do you really need 200 sounds when performing? It is also selling for under $400 now.

#17095 - 11/17/98 11:44 AM Re: Can I use more than one bank of programs for my sequences?
hal3 Offline

WS, when you say the X5DR 'reads' 01
sounds, what do you mean? You see, I'm
not using the factory sounds. I've
programmed alot of my own sounds, so an
01 factory bank won't help much. Here's
why I'm looking for 2 banks. For
example, the 01 has 'Musette' [accordion]
n Pgm A43 and 'Harmonica' on B43. I use
both throughout my performance sequences,
of which I have alot. Unless I went thru