SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#170858 - 02/27/04 01:42 AM 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
michaeldevine Offline

Loc: Bangalore,Karnataka, India
Any one can shed any light on a comparison between the 2 ?

I personally use 2100 and am quite happy with the ease of use as compared to the PA50 (tried it a while ago). The Korg voices sound better, key feel is almost same, and so are the styles...actually the 2100 seems to have better styles....

Anything else ?

#170859 - 02/27/04 06:14 AM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The 2100, in my opinion, is far better for playing live. I had a PA80 and I did like some of the sounds. However, with the 2100, you will get mic input and a vocal harmonizer that works, plus fills, intros and endings that are many times better than the Korg. You'll find thousands of free styles for the PSR also.
If you can't tell the difference in the key feel, then I think it's a no-brainer. Most people prefer the Korg keys.
DonM

#170860 - 02/27/04 10:03 AM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
Bluebird Offline

Sorry, but I think "key feel" problem is not the more important problem in Yamahas keys, but the second one.

Yamaha's key feel is bad, of course. It affects feeling and sensitivity you put in your rendition, but it doesn't make errors in playing.

But it is not the most important bad thing.

The worse one is that Yamahas keys are SMALLER. That is, from a C key to next C key, distance is shorter than any other kb, and any piano.

If you play without to see keys, if you make chords without to see the keys, and you are used to play not yamaha keyboards or pianos, smaller octaves in yamahas may be a great problem for your hands: you are going to play wrong keys because your hands are used to play another octaves distance.

#170861 - 02/27/04 11:03 AM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
Grubba99 Offline

I realized that about the yams also. Korg all the way.

#170862 - 02/27/04 12:45 PM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yup ... I couldn't (WOULDN'T) do it !
I like
BIG
KEYS,
and I cannot lie !

#170863 - 02/27/04 02:38 PM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
If you can get past the keys of the Yamahas (I do and lots of people in this forum is ok as well, ask Scott Yee), then Yamaha is a no brainer IMO.

I tried PA80 for a week and got frustrated with the navigation (look, I own arrangers for 17 years, all different brands) and KORG is by far the most confusing. I owned KORG i30 for 3 years and disliked it intensely. Yamaha is like a breath of fresh air (although I owned it beforehand as well). Just go to GC and bring it home , only you can decide. If you don't like it return it within 30 days. For expensive item, I would not take a chance of not being able to return it. You will not know its fault unless you play it for 2 weeks no matter how many people say things to you !!! Only you know what is important for yourself.

#170864 - 02/27/04 03:35 PM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Please!!!!!!!!! Not the key stuff again--it's really gettin' old.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#170865 - 02/27/04 03:46 PM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
Bluebird Offline

the key stuff again?

I think it is not really gettin' old.

Perhaps, speaking about it more times and by more people will be the only way for Yamaha make finally the good decision: good key feel, and specially, normal (not smaller) size keys.

Yamaha players deserve be considered (by Yamaha) having normal size hands, not little hands as if they were children.

Yamaha, we are not children!.
We don't need toys keys!.

#170866 - 02/27/04 05:52 PM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

I like
BIG
KEYS,
and I cannot lie !

You other brothers can't deny!

Oh, I thought this was another sing the next line thread like....Scott Yee's.......birthday............song......

Oh forget it!

mike

#170867 - 02/27/04 06:17 PM Re: 'Korg PA50' Vs. 'Yam2100'
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Korg probably has the most intense ( maybe confusing too ) OS of any of them, but it also allows for far more editing and customization than anything else on the arranger spectrum. Yamaha is more WYSIWYG. Depends on your priorities. Sometimes that can vary for me depending on what I want to make my board do.

PSR's are probably easier for some users to navigate and make sound good " right out of the box ". Both have good sounds and styles, but while the Korg styles overall sounded more expressive to me, they only have 2 fills per style and on a few styles they don't seem to match up very well to the main variations.

Like a few others, the comparisons stop when I touch the keys, pitch / mod wheels, and buttons. Korg keys are full sized and feel like they are on par with any pro synth or workstation with synth action. PSR's aren't. They feel flimsy to me and they are smaller. If your used to playing keys of any other kind, both the size and feel can affect your expression. I guess it depends on what one is doing and what one is used to. When I'm playing a few chords or simple melodies from the average cover tune, while playing along with the arranger function, it usually doesn't mean much to me. When I'm pushing the envelope to the limits of my abilities, it means a lot. I just won't put up with cheap feeling keys, wheels, and knobs, so I can't recommend any PSR's. Doesn't make me right OR wrong, just the way I see it. Like Bluebird and few others, I hope Yamaha takes some of this in, and if anyone else disagrees or is tired of seeing it, so be it.

For me, it isn't about Korg or Yamaha, or anyone else, since I don't own any stock in any of them, my name isn't on the label, and I have never had a hand in developing any of these machines. Nothing is EVER a "No Brainer" when it comes to your personal approach to expressing what is inside of you musically. There isn't a clear cut right and wrong way. What makes you most comfortable to work with and "sings" to you when YOUR hands are on it is all that matters Michael, no matter what anyone else tells you.

AJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online