SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#170632 - 05/24/05 09:30 AM Small town Memorial Day weekend concert
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Thanks if you have an opinion on this. I am considering doing a 'town concert' this weekend. I have been talking about doing this for a long time and had it planned before but a scheduling conflict with bandmates screwed it up and we let it slide. I'd do this solo and this would not be in a bar, it would be in the American Legion clubhouse. This would be catered to all ages, specifically including an 'older' audience.

I have written many songs about my hometown and characters here and I think it could be very enjoyable for some people (and me). They NEVER have live entertainment. I am optimistic it could go well. I have played a few songs for a few people to get their 'approval' on some songs, songs written about a relative of theirs and all have given me a smiling Thumbs Up rating for their song.

I would charge $5 to help pay for the hall.

Question is WHEN?

I was thinking of doing this Sunday night at 7:30pm. However, a certain percentage (maybe 25% of those who attend Sunday morning) of people DO go to Sunday night church down here. They are out by 7pm and the VFW is minutes away. They'd be out by then and maybe it's no big deal, I dunno.

Also, I recognize it COULD be considered by some a bit sacreligious to hold this Sunday night. I know that sounds fundamentalist and it is. Smack in middle of the bible belt. I really am confused about that issue, whether Sunday night is even an issue. Thirty years ago, it would be. (When I was a kid, my parents didn't allow us to do ANYthing on Sunday.)

Times I have considered:

7:30pm Sunday evening
3:00pm Sunday afternoon
3:00pm Monday afternoon (Memorial Day)

(Two sets)

Do you have any thoughts which time? I would think most working people will be off work this Monday. Plus, there are a LOT of people here who are retired. Many of the people I would invite are in their 70's and 80's because the scene of some of the songs is way back when I was a kid, when they were parents.

#170633 - 05/24/05 12:25 PM Re: Small town Memorial Day weekend concert
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I assume it's in Plain Dealing? I think Sunday night would be best. Maybe I could come.
The Catholics won't care. The Baptists probably won't come anyway, because they don't believe in dancing in their home town.
JOKE.
Let me know, maybe I can make a guest appearance.
DonM

#170634 - 05/24/05 12:49 PM Re: Small town Memorial Day weekend concert
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
I recognize it COULD be considered by some a bit sacreligious to hold this Sunday night. I know that sounds fundamentalist and it is. Smack in middle of the bible belt.

SemiLive: Can't answer how many (if any) in your community would be offended having it held Sunday night, but if there's any question, don't risk it. I assume you want to attract as many in your community to attend, so if you have the option of scheduling it for Monday afternoon (Memorial day), do 'that', and keep everybody happy. The other advantage of holding your show earlier in the day (Monday afternoon), is that older audiences tend to be more attentive then, as following an evening of church sermoning, they may be tired & prefer to just go home. Just my thoughts. Sounds like a fun music presentation that those in your community will enjoy. Would be great if you could post pictures of the event. Good luck. - Scott

#170635 - 05/24/05 01:15 PM Re: Small town Memorial Day weekend concert
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Hey Don, you are definitely in my sights if I do this! I had already planned on contacting you to see if you'd want to come. I'm in a quandary as to when to do it. I'll be in touch.

Haha, there won't be any dancing. It's a listening concert.

There aren't any Catholics. Rats, they're the most fun. There's Baptists, Assembly Of God, Church of Christ, Methodists, Prebyterian. My, that's a lot of denominations for a tiny town.

The thing about Sunday night is it's cool and the next day is a holiday. Man, what a dillemma.

#170636 - 05/28/05 09:16 AM Re: Small town Memorial Day weekend concert
DonM Offline

What's the latest?
DonM

#170637 - 05/28/05 10:03 AM Re: Small town Memorial Day weekend concert
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Uh, I emailed you a day or so ago. Monday, 3pm. I'll email again.

#170638 - 05/31/05 11:39 AM Re: Small town Memorial Day weekend concert
DonM Offline

Sorry I couldn't make it. How did it go?
Don

#170639 - 05/31/05 01:28 PM Re: Small town Memorial Day weekend concert
SemiLiveMusic Offline

It went real well except very small crowd. Well, crowd, it wasn't. That was disappointing for sure. I'll never perform again on a holiday. I had no choice this time but still, next time, I just won't do it. But I talked to a LOT of people and only a few came. But the ones that were there, I wowed them, haha, so, you never know. One of thems second cousin's next door neighbor's brother-in-law might be Alan Jackson.

My keyboard stand just fell off mid-song after I'd played a few. A small piece broke off the corner. I will super-glue it. You ever heard that super-glued parts are STRONGER than the material? It's true. When I got that psr2000 musicstand (shipped separately), a small crack was in the corner and I had superglued it to repair it. And it did NOT break there. It broke close to it but not in that crack.

I've never been a fan of this type music stand but I actually think the wobbly cheapo music stand caused the mishap. My leadsheet book was not very heavy. Only contained 20 songs.

EDIT: I used the Logitech z2200's and I had it only 1/4 way in this wooden floor VFW hall. Had to turn the bass almost down to zero.

BTW, I played America The Beautiful as opening song and WHISTLED the melody (I can whistle pretty well) and it was a show-stopper.

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 05-31-2005).]

#170640 - 05/31/05 04:01 PM Re: Small town Memorial Day weekend concert
DonM Offline

Well, if I'd known you were gonna WHISTLE, I'd have found a way to be there for sure.
Glad it went well.
Don

#170641 - 06/03/05 07:31 PM Re: Small town Memorial Day weekend concert
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
SemiLive:

Sorry the PlainDealing crowd was not larger for you. Wish I had been at home for the weekend instead of West of Ft. Worth. Texarkana is not that far from Plain Dealing and I would have really enjoyed hearing you and DonM (if he had been able to come)play and sing. His Monday gig in Shreveport is a really tough time for me. At any rate, maybe someday soon we can get the Shreveport/Bossier gathering set up again.
All my best. Rice (The Lone Arranger)

#170642 - 06/03/05 07:39 PM Re: Small town Memorial Day weekend concert
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Wow, you're from Texarkana? I think I knew that but forgot. That's only a bit over an hour from here.

#170643 - 06/04/05 05:32 PM Re: Small town Memorial Day weekend concert
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Yep, Hackworth and I both live in T-town. We are songwriters. (Some would argue that point!) He uses a Tyros and I abuse an old PSR-2000. Our songs can be found at MusicPlaces.com/Shoestring_Music/

Rice (The Lone Arranger)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online