SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#170491 - 02/07/05 12:01 PM Roland g-70 or Korg Pa1xPro
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,
I have Roland Va-7
I will sell my roland, I want to buy Roland g-70 or Korg Pa1xPro. First, I decided to buy G-70, but when I read some forums here, and when I listened some demos of G-70 i heard that the tones are same as Va-7. They are not bad, but I was waiting something better.

Now I want to buy one, but I dont know to choose. in the Rolands voice procesor you can play on the keyboard the second voice, like back vocal. I know that Korg pa1xpro has a second voice but I dont know if you can play the voice in the keyboard.

Does the USB read the USB flash disks.. on the Korg pa1xpro?

Sincerly,
Besim M.

#170492 - 02/07/05 12:20 PM Re: Roland g-70 or Korg Pa1xPro
tony harbour Offline

Loc: wilts,england
I am looking for pro 76 keyboard if the Tyros 2 was 76 key it one be no 1 on my list . The G70 has had bad comments on this forum - but i'm not put off - it has apparently the best piano and the best drawbar organ it is ticking most boxes . The korg seems to have had a lot good comments but without a top piano it's probably not on my christmas list . Curently have KN7000 which is the best keyboard technikcs ever made - shame they decided to developing keyboards . I suspect some postings on this site are from people wh actually sell the products - have listedned to the video demo of the G70 there is nothing wrong with it to my ears , however it does lack one thing that the Korg has - the sampler - but with the price of sample disks being what they are i can't see sampling being of much use unless your prepared to keep paying out for extras - so i'm happy if the onboard sounds are top which the G70 seems to offer .... But i've yet to hear one live - if anyone has one yet - please post your MP3s ..

#170493 - 02/07/05 01:17 PM Re: Roland g-70 or Korg Pa1xPro
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Tony;

About your comment about The lack of sampler in the G70. I to agree that roland should have at least offered it as an option, thus allowing those who require or want its capabilities could have it installed. Also, the aftermarket sampling disks that you refer to I do not believe can be used on the G-70. This is due to the fact that the roland does not have a sample reader on-board. This differs from the Korg in that it has onboard software that enable it to read various sample formates (i.e. akiai,wav,aiff,korg) Also one can actually record your on samples on the machine via Mic out. So the avenue of playing aftermaket pre-made samples is closed to the g-70.

Secondly, there is not enough on board memmory, since roland did not incorporate a HD on the G-70.

I think Rolands response to lack of sample decoding capability is to buy their sound bank modules (SRX-wave boards).

Regards;
SCP

#170494 - 02/07/05 05:07 PM Re: Roland g-70 or Korg Pa1xPro
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Tony,
There is a world class acoustic piano available for the PA1XPRO. It is called the PAX EXB-01. This card offers nothing but new acoustic piano and piano layers.
I am one of the few store owners here in the USA that got to see the G70 at NAMM and I've had the opportunity to have one at my store prior to NAMM. I like it.....I just don't think it sounds different than a VA76. I understand the Organ drawbars have been added and the vocal processor has been added, but to me, if the sounds and styles sound like the VA76, I am disappointed. I expected more! Roland Europe could improve the sound set and of course they can improve the styles, but after all the waiting, it should have been a world class keyboard.
I will still sell this new keyboard in my store, but it will not be my personal favorite. It will be a very good keyboard, but will it compete with the Korg PA1XPRO or the Ketron SD1plus for style creativity and overall sounds.......I don't think so.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#170495 - 02/07/05 11:25 PM Re: Roland g-70 or Korg Pa1xPro
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
i have had the opportunity to demo the Roland G70 next to the Tyros. There is no competition.The Tyros sounds better, is easier to operate and the G70 needs far too much tweaking to the sounds to get anykind of decent sound from it. I spent an hour with it and the so called stunning fantom piano is so soaked in effects that it was messed up ! I have heard the Demos on the web but i've got to tell you that they must have processed the sounds or done some serious revoiceing on the demo's as the sounds from the keyboard straight out the box are really disappointing. I dont know what Roland must have been thinking to release this board when it is quite obviously not ready to be released to a discerning customer.

#170496 - 02/08/05 12:52 AM Re: Roland g-70 or Korg Pa1xPro
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
the lesson to be learnt so far :

DON'T sell your Roland VA-7, but try and get a Korg on top, money allowing get yourself the PA1X, if not just get yourself a "cheap" PA-50 or a second-hand PA-80.
that's my advice.
regards,
john

#170497 - 02/08/05 09:46 AM Re: Roland g-70 or Korg Pa1xPro
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Spalding;

Did the g-70 you tired contain the newest operating system ( i.e. ver 1.06 VS. 1.05)? Some forum member state that this makes a large differEnce, others say it does nothing. It is perplexing to hear the wide contrasts in opinion regardign the G-70. I have seen the Roland Namm demos as well and the G-70 sounds impressive. What I want to know is, why there is such a pronounced discrepancy bewteen the the sounds/styles etc.. of the Namm demo G-70 and the shipped G-70s.

I have heard the Tyros/Psr3000, but I have not heard the G-70 in person. But if i were to compare my audition of the Tyros/psr3000, and the G-70 demos, I would superficially say that the G-70 sounds better. That is what I find confusing, because if I listen to the negative coments on Synthzone, it would lead me to an opposite conclusion.

Could all the widely polarized views, just be a matter of personal preference??

Could Roland be attempting the old "bait & switch"?? (i.e. making the demos sound as good as they can through various manipulations, when in fact the publicly shipped models won't sound like this without a tremendous amount of work on the users part)????

Comments/views/insight---ANYONE ????

Regards;
SCP

#170498 - 02/09/05 02:33 AM Re: Roland g-70 or Korg Pa1xPro
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
i dont know what version of the operating system the G70 had. All i can tell you is that i have been looking for an upgrade from the yamaha that i have (PSR8000) and have been looking for more tha 2 years. I have spent a great deal of time with the tyros and maybe 2 hours on the PA1X and 1 hour on the G70 (because the board disappointed me so much ) I can honestly say that the PA1X blew me away but so did the price! i will buy one when the price has come down. The tyros is nice and i was tempted but the G70 just sounded poor in comparrisson witn the former two. The demos on the net are great but all i can reiterate is that Roland have shipped a product out before it was really ready to be released. No matter what razzamataz they have tried with the promotion and trhe net preview the end product in terms of what i have sampled soi far is not much different in tonality to the VA series.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online