SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#170482 - 01/10/00 10:29 PM Samples
Jick Duck Offline

Loc: Brooklyn NY
On which keyboard is it possible to "muti-sample"? What I mean is When I press a key lightly it should play a totaly different sample as when I press hard, Such as in the Yamaha "sweet flute". Can I sample such drum sets to? (like the ones on the psr9000)

------------------
Jick

#170483 - 01/11/00 01:25 AM Re: Samples
Marek Offline

Loc: Germany
Hello Jick,

the PSR 9000 has many multisamples. At first I mention drums - drums are the strength of the PSR 9000 and as I know almost all Cymbals and Hi-Hats consist of at least two stereo samples.
Further Live! Vocal - it consists of three different samples (Uuuh, Paaa, Dao), Sweet Flute (as you wrote), Live! Nylon Guitar, Live! E-Guitar, Funk Guitar, Crunch Guitar, Sweet Trombone, Growl Sax, Cool! EPiano and many others.

I could not answer your second question, because I have not sampled till now. When I experience it, I will let you know.

Marek

#170484 - 01/11/00 07:53 AM Re: Samples
Jick Duck Offline

Thanks Dave and Marek.
Dave,
Can the g1000 or g800 import sounds such as wave files, etc.?

------------------
Jick

#170485 - 01/11/00 09:28 AM Re: Samples
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Jick,

No they can not. With either of these keyboards, you are stuck with the sounds which are stored in the instrument's ROM (Roland Sound Canvas SC880 in G1000). You may modify the effects which are applied to a built-in sound (and store them as part of the perf. memory), and you can layer two of the built in sounds (and use velocity switching). There are over 1000 sounds in the G1000, so that you can find a multitude of sounds of any type of instrument (there is probably about 20 trumpets, and as many strings). However, you can not add new sounds like you can in Yamaha or Solton (or make new programs like in a Korg i30).

Regards,
Alex

#170486 - 01/11/00 07:32 PM Re: Samples
Jick Duck Offline

Alex,
You mentioned the i30. What are "programs"? Can you import and layer samples on the i30?
Also, can you program the aftertouch to triger a different voice?

------------------
Jick

#170487 - 01/12/00 01:09 AM Re: Samples
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Jick,
I do not own a Korg keyboard, so I will let someone who does correct me on this:
Korg i30 (and other i-series keyboards) utilize their AI2 sound engine, which comes with a significant number of basic waveshapes, which are then combined and massaged through a full set of synth tools to produce the sounds. You can not import sound samples, but you have the same flexibility in an arranger keyboard as in their other synthesizers (not Trinity or Triton, though).
I listened to i-series keyboards at the music store and find that their sounds are good for the techno and hip-hop stuff, but not as good as some of the other keyboards in reproducing acoustic instrument sounds, although they do come pretty close. For many people performing non-original repertoires in front of the audience the acoustic sounds are pretty important, that is why there is not too many i30 users posting in this forum.
However, depending on what you want to do, i30 might fit the bill for you; besides, it has a beautiful touch screen and very efficient operator interface (in my opinion).
Also, many of the styles are excellent.

Regards, Alex

#170488 - 01/12/00 01:27 PM Re: Samples
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Hello,

This is very important feature and it is very desirable. Consider the piano. When you hit the piano softly you should play different sample then when hitting it hard.

Now, the sk880 does that. Please do not quote me on this because synth is not my forte. But it seemed to me when I played the keyboard, it allows you to combine up to 4 samples, each with its own velocity level. So you can create something quite complex.

I recognise that Yamaha does a very wonderful job on this... in particular, the sweet flute *S*

#170489 - 01/12/00 06:01 PM Re: Samples
Jick Duck Offline

Can the x1 do multi-layer sampling for drum kits too?

------------------
Jick

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online