SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17043 - 11/23/98 07:00 PM Need orientation on korgs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi!
i don't know much about sinthesizers, i want to buy one, i'm interest in one that allows me to change the most quantity of parameters of the sound, making something that placed me. I don't want a keyboard with 2 millions of pre programed sounds.
Please send me suggestions of what keyboard could satisfy me. I have seen KORG N5, in appeareance is the keyb that i need (I don't want to spend much money too)
Thanks!
and sorry for my english, i speak better in spanish.

#17044 - 11/27/98 08:03 PM Re: Need orientation on korgs
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
The N5 would be an excellent choice because it has 4 knobs that can be told to control almost any parameter you'd want to change. More synths are offering better real-time control all the time. The N5 is one of the better-designed WORKSTATIONS that will do this.
However, there are several techno-oriented synths that specialize in analog emulations for the dance crowd that offer knobs for almost EVERY function. They tend to play only 1 or 2 notes at a time, although the right model of the cool Nord Lead will now do up to 12, I believe. These synths stick to analog sound sets, whereas the N5 offers some of that world PLUS more traditional instruments such as guitar, organ, bells, etc. (It has a good arpeggiator too.)
If you're just starting out, the N5 would be a good choice because it will teach you a lot about using a modern synth in a fairly simple manner and make it easier for you to buy a more specialized 2nd one later. Almost everyone ends up buying more equipment, so its smart to start with one that won't leave you scratching your head too much!
Also check out Alesis synths, if you can. They have a lot to offer. If you're more interested in dance/weird noises, check out the Korg Prophecy, which has become a lot cheaper, the Roland JP8000 and the Yamaha CS1X or AN1X. The Nords are pretty expensive and have no effects on-board, but the others are much broader if you're starting with just the one instrument. Still, the N5 would be a great first keyboard.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online