SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#170423 - 12/11/03 11:51 AM Where do I go to turn off programs at startup?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Where do I go to turn off programs at startup?

A program automatically starts up my internet connection everytime I bootup

Thanks again friends,
Boo

#170424 - 12/11/03 12:01 PM Re: Where do I go to turn off programs at startup?
trtjazz Offline

Boo

First you might be able to go to the control panel of the program you do not want to boot up automatically and there may be an option in it somewhere about automatically start when Windows starts and can uncheck it. Save that then...

Start>run>msconfig (type in)>start up tab and uncheck what you do not want to automatically start on boot up.

You will need to restart then and you will get a message about you're using selective startup, check the do not show me this again....done deal.

Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 12-11-2003).]

#170425 - 12/11/03 12:33 PM Re: Where do I go to turn off programs at startup?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Boo..
Click on start in the windows taskbar and then “run”. Type in “msconfig”. Choose “startup”. Here you will find a list of programs that are started as soon as you run windows. It does not make a difference, if you uncheck all – your computer will work without any problem. We suggest to leave the programs related to your sound devices, e.g. the mLAN manager, and eventually virus scanning software checked and uncheck all that you do not seem to need, especially Office programs. You can do nothing wrong when trying around different settings here. Every time you have made new settings and clicked on OK you have to restart your computer to make the settings active. After restart a Windows message appears. Check the box to avoid that this message appears every time you start up Windows XP.

Eddie

#170426 - 12/11/03 03:34 PM Re: Where do I go to turn off programs at startup?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
On this subject, you can go to the page I've indicated below and find out what all those things in your Start-up directory really do.
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

DonM

#170427 - 12/12/03 02:19 AM Re: Where do I go to turn off programs at startup?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I've always found that msconfig is the easiest way to manage such activity.

Sometimes this behavior can be associated with e-mail viruses.

#170428 - 12/12/03 07:07 AM Re: Where do I go to turn off programs at startup?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
Where do I go to turn off programs at startup?

A program automatically starts up my internet connection everytime I bootup

Thanks again friends,
Boo

Your ISP itself may be dialing into the Internet each time you boot up.

If your problem is still unresovled Boo and the problem is as you stated above, here's what you do:

You didn't say which operating system your using but if it's XP try this: Go to Start/Control Panel/Internet Options/Connections Tab. If you have just "one" internet Service, highlight it by left clicking on it. Now below the white box where your ISP is in there are "3" options. Make sure the little radial button is in "Never dial a connection". Click OK and exit out of Control Panel.

That should do it. PS: It sounds like you have AOL Boo. AOL is famous for wrecking havoc with an Operating System and your dial up preferences. I would avoid it like the plague if it were me. There are so many better ISP's out there and most of them are much cheaper price wise too.

Hope this helps. Btw Boo, if you have Windows 98/SE those procedures I gave for Windows XP will be exactly the same for Windows 98/SE.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 12-12-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online