SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#170411 - 09/23/01 02:41 PM Pro Synth 16 track Sequencers Vs. Pro Arranger 16 track???
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
This is something that has been on my mind lately about keyboards... Are there any arrangers on the market that have a 16 track sequencer that operates like those on professional workstations? Example, I used to own a Roland XP-60 and several other pro synths and they all had a 16 track sequencer that allowed you to do loop based recording and overdub recording as well, but I see these pro arrangers that have 16 track sequencers that only allow you to record to a track ONCE with no overdubbing or loop setting, and if you do, it erases what you previously recorded. Also it seems that you can only do loop based/overdub recording under the style sequencers for these key boards. Take the Yamaha PSR-9000 and 9000 pro. Granted these two are awsome keyboards, but even the almighty bust your wallet PSR-9000's 16 track sequencer doesn't have loop or overdub recording. Also when you do style recording you have to follow a certain scale in order for the auto accomp to adjust properly. I find myself constantly defending arranger keyboardists to pro synth users. Although many are finally realizing the potential of the new model arrangers, I find that many stay away from them because of the limitations with the 16 track sequencers. I had a guy ask me the other day what are the advantages of having an arranger and I was able to give him a lot of good reasons by comparing the pro synths to pro arrangers, but I lost him when it came to sequencing. He like many others feel that arrangers are really good keyboards, and the auto accomp is a useful feature, but would like to know if any arrangers have a 16 track sequencer that operates like those on workstations. Anyone know?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#170412 - 09/23/01 04:12 PM Re: Pro Synth 16 track Sequencers Vs. Pro Arranger 16 track???
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Squeak,
Good question ! I do not have all the answers. I haven't worked with alot of arranger keyboard sequencers . I remember GEM having great sequencers on board . The sounds lacked in my opinion .
I really think that with computer sequencing software being so inexpensive ( $40.00 - $60.00) , it's just better to use a computer .
dano

#170413 - 09/23/01 06:15 PM Re: Pro Synth 16 track Sequencers Vs. Pro Arranger 16 track???
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The advantage of an arranger keyboard is obvious--you don't have to sequence anything to perform with it. I agree that the computer sequence program would probably be the way to go if you need to overdub, etc.
The "pros" who look down on arrangers mostly do so out of ignorance. They don't understand the capabilities of arrangers. They think they are all like the first Cascio toys. I hope they remain ignorant because most of them can't compete for my jobs just playing sequences.
DonM

#170414 - 09/23/01 09:56 PM Re: Pro Synth 16 track Sequencers Vs. Pro Arranger 16 track???
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
squeak -
I'm sure the 9000 stuff will record on all 16 trax. I haven't done more than 2 yet, but I used the easy mode. It has to work.

#170415 - 09/24/01 06:17 PM Re: Pro Synth 16 track Sequencers Vs. Pro Arranger 16 track???
squeak_D Offline

Dave,
You're right to some extent, but the standard 16 track on the 9000's don't allow you to loop, or overdub. To do this you have to use the style sequencer and you can be quite limited due to staying in I believe CM7 for recording the tracks. It would be nice to have these features on the standard 16 track without having to stick to a specific key signature..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#170416 - 09/25/01 07:06 AM Re: Pro Synth 16 track Sequencers Vs. Pro Arranger 16 track???
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Hi Squeak. My gem wk8 can do overdub recording. It might do loop recording also but I'll have to check the manual. It has overdub, replace and something... Don't you just hate it when you can't remember something!?! What was the question again...

#170417 - 09/25/01 08:57 AM Re: Pro Synth 16 track Sequencers Vs. Pro Arranger 16 track???
squeak_D Offline

Vic,
Glad to hear the Gem WK8 does this. I've always wanted to see this machine.. No one here will carry or sell them. They seem pretty impressive..

Squeak

#170418 - 09/25/01 10:39 AM Re: Pro Synth 16 track Sequencers Vs. Pro Arranger 16 track???
Vic01 Offline

I really like mine a lot. The sequencer rocks in my opinion. Many have posted their dislikes to the Gem arrangers but all in all it works for me. There are some features the other boards have I wish mine had but I guess we could all say that.

#170419 - 09/25/01 01:43 PM Re: Pro Synth 16 track Sequencers Vs. Pro Arranger 16 track???
New Yorker Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, Russia
G-1000 and new VA series arrangers can do all that. Check them out.

------------------
New Yorker

#170420 - 09/26/01 07:40 AM Re: Pro Synth 16 track Sequencers Vs. Pro Arranger 16 track???
Vic01 Offline

Hi squeak. Just checked my wk8 manual and the wk8 will also do loop recording. You can also do replace (where the notes recorded overwrite the existing notes) and overdub (where the notes you play merge into existing notes). When I use the video out and run it to a monitor with composite video in it's almost like editing on a pc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online