SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#170272 - 11/06/05 12:33 PM Tyros 2 memory chips
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
If anyone can recommend a cheaper site for these in the UK can you please let me know. I've been searching Google for ages now and give up lol.

Kingston 512MB 133MHz ECC CL3 DIMM Memory (KVR133X72C3/512)
http://www.infotechshop.co.uk/products.asp?partno=mem-kingston-KVR133X72C3/512

Total £124.27 for 2 x 512mb including delivery. Seems expensive but I can't find cheaper anywhere.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

#170273 - 11/06/05 01:46 PM Re: Tyros 2 memory chips
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
You’ve found about the best deal for Branded memory, but if you don’t mind going for none branded, then try the links below.
The reason PC133 memory is expensive is because it is very little used these days, so manufacture is limited. It was mainly used in Pentium 3 systems, but was superseded in about 2002/2003 when the Pentium 4 became more mainstream with its DDR memory.

Bill
http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/pro...207&rstrat=3106
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~64056~/512MB%20PC133%20256BIT%20DIMM.htm
http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=612
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=3150&GroupID=466

#170274 - 11/06/05 02:08 PM Re: Tyros 2 memory chips
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Abacus: It's my understanding that Yamaha only recommends "ECC" type PC133 dimm memory, as evidenced in their Tyros2 DIMM chip compatibility list. The Kingston memory chip you linked to is unfortunately, "Non-ECC" type memory

Kingston's designation for their "ECC" memory is X72, and for their "non-ECC" memory is X64:

KVR133X72C3/512 ECC Memory
KVR133X64C3/512 Non-ECC Memory

Here's where I purchased my Kingston KVR133X72C3/512 DIMM chips ($81/each): MWAVE ,
and which I have successfully installed in my Tyros2 keyboard.

ECC: error correction code

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-06-2005).]

#170275 - 11/06/05 02:20 PM Re: Tyros 2 memory chips
Craig_UK Offline

Thanks abacus. For the non ECC we're talking about £85-100 by the looks of things so I'll stick with the ECC at just over £120 to be on the safe side. Ordering it right now so it should be here for Tuesday with a bit of luck when my Tyros 2 arrives, yippeeeeee.I know the Kingston ECC works as it's the same that Scott Yee purchased.
It's £30 cheaper in the USA. Typical, us brits pay over the odds yet again. Even the Tyros 2 is £500 cheaper in USA looking at typical prices

[This message has been edited by Craig_UK (edited 11-06-2005).]

#170276 - 11/06/05 03:42 PM Re: Tyros 2 memory chips
svpworld Offline

I am intrigued as to why several users are looking to add more sample memory... does this mean you are looking to create new custom voices and import sample waveforms? This is exciting news, but if you intend using only the onboard voices of the T2 for now then I dont see any urgency of adding more DIMMs. As far as I know, the only voice available for Tyros 2 is the scat voice which comfortably fits in the standard 4MB of wave memory installed.

Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#170277 - 11/06/05 09:01 PM Re: Tyros 2 memory chips
cwalkeralso Offline

Loc: State of Washington, US
You ask an interesting question, Simon. I too am excited at the possibility that enthusiasts will explore voice creation/editing, and share their results with those of us who might be a bit more timid about it. However, some seem to not understand the use of wave ram. In one forum (I'm following several), someone seemed to think it might improve overall performance, or, more specifically, video performance.

I will say, though, that I've come up with my own reason for looking into the matter. A few years ago, I finally decided to double the speed of my computer with a CPU upgrade (something I had been considering for a good while, but kept putting off). Hmmmm... couldn't locate one -- not even over the internet. Technology had marched on, and seemingly no one was still carrying the CPU I needed.

It's been pointed out, and rightfully so I think, that Yamaha hasn't used cutting edge technology (witness the USB 1.1). Regarding the memory modules, SDRAM is no longer a front runner in memory technology. I wouldn't want to finally be ready for it, but no longer able to find it.

As it turns out, I may be able to swipe 256mb from the computer referred to above. It is now used by my wife, and I would still be leaving her with 64mb on a Win98 machine. I doubt that my playing around with voice creation/editing would ever get so serious as to require more than 256mb.

Charles

#170278 - 11/06/05 09:40 PM Re: Tyros 2 memory chips
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by svpworld:
I am intrigued as to why several users are looking to add more sample memory... does this mean you are looking to create new custom voices and import sample waveforms?

Hi Simon: Yes, I purchased the optional DIMM Memory (1024MB total) because I have a library of high quality pro audio WAV file clips & loops that I'd like to triggered via the Tyros2 Multipads (1-4), or playing the Tyros2's keys. These include:

Brush Artistry

Stealin' The Steel

In addition, I wondering if it's possible, with the Tyros2, to import WAV samples of, like a Bosendorfer or Steinway Grand Piano, to include a separate audio sample for each of the 88 notes (or 97 in the case of a Bosendorfer Imperial Concert Grand)? Can these samples be loaded into the Tyros WAV RAM (1024 DIMM) and be mapped indiviually to each of the Tyros2 keys? If so, this would give Tyros2 owners the ability to play the best sounding 'audio sampled' piano.

OK, curious if anyone here knows if there currently is available a high quality WAV sample library of a Steinway B Grand piano?

thanks.

Scott

#170279 - 11/07/05 04:01 AM Re: Tyros 2 memory chips
necdetdoni Offline

Loc: Antalya / Turkey
hi guys...i don't have tyros2 but i have motif es6 and they use same dimm memory...please check this link and click to yamaha than click to motif es series rams
http://www.oempcworld.com/mmatrix.htm

[This message has been edited by necdetdoni (edited 11-07-2005).]

#170280 - 11/07/05 10:33 AM Re: Tyros 2 memory chips
svpworld Offline

Hey I hadn't thought of using the multipads to trigger the samples, great idea! I guess first you would need to create custom voices from them (well actually for one shot effects just one voice would be enough).
I am interested in creating new drum kits, I've got some very nice drum sounds to try out... just need the time and patience!

Simon

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online