SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#170243 - 04/03/01 09:59 AM Using 2 Mixers ?
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
My little notepad mixer no longer has enough inputs for all my "stuff". Can anyone tell me if it is possible to just piggyback another little (cheap) mixer onto it, so that I can get more inputs? I don't really want to replace the whole mixer for a larger one. I'm just looking for a less expensive option. Any advice from you would be welcome.
Tom

#170244 - 04/03/01 11:30 AM Re: Using 2 Mixers ?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
"Sub mixing" is a very effective way to increase channels. Take the output from one mixer and plug into a NON preampd channel (like an effect return or buss in) that's it! Simple, cheap and ready to expand. The Behringer mixers pack alot of wollop for very little money - you may be able to move into one of those too.

#170245 - 04/04/01 07:42 AM Re: Using 2 Mixers ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I agree with Uncle Dave on this. A Behringer MX1604 mixer sells for $199.99 . That's 16 tracks ! More than enough. Dan O

#170246 - 04/04/01 10:53 AM Re: Using 2 Mixers ?
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Dan & Dave
Thanks for the info... Now, if you could make suggestions. Here's what I have:
Spirit Folio Notepad with 4 keyboards and a NanoSynth plugged in. Have a harmonizer and a notebook computer I'd like to add. Maybe a new module (the brand new SD1 module - hahah). Should I just but the cheapest Behringer Euroroack? I don't want to spend a lot - I can always plug & unplug stuff right now, for free, but it is a pain. What would be the cheapest way to go? Also, why does the second mixer have to be plugged into an effects send (rather than just the regular inputs?). Only playing at home for fun. Don't know much - your help is appreciated.
Tom

#170247 - 04/04/01 11:15 AM Re: Using 2 Mixers ?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If you plug a "hot" signal into a channel input, you are "double pre-amping" and this can lead to excessive noise, distortion, and even blowing out the channel. It's always best to "gang" mixers together through a NON preamp area whenever possible. If that's not an option, just be very careful of input level, and keep the master on the sub mixer at a reasonable level. Preferably lower than you would as a "stand alone" mixer.
You also can use standard "Y" cables to double up on channels.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online