SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#170190 - 12/03/05 04:05 PM Re: Ideas for Makeshift Flightcase?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Zalmi...Nigel....I shipped two keyboards this way.....My PSR 3000 was shipped from California to Texas and then shipped here to Cozumel Mexico...My daughters Yamaha EZ 150 that I bought her back in June I think, was shipped from Mass to texas then shipped again to Cozumel Mexico with out a bit of problems.....that bubble wrap if reall great
more so when it used in addition to styrofoam...what ever you decide, good luck to you and let's hear more music....have a great time in NY.....Including My Tyros shipped from Wisconson the total stands at 3
TR

[This message has been edited by Tony Rome (edited 12-03-2005).]

#170191 - 12/04/05 01:20 AM Re: Ideas for Makeshift Flightcase?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Rome:
I shipped two keyboards this way

I guess I have just heard too many horror stories of music gear getting broken even when shipped in hard shell cases to risk sending it by plane in a cardboard box. Usually that seems to be OK for UPS or FedEx shipping services but International airline luggage handling seems to have a poorer reputation. I think I'd be tempted to use a shipping service ( like UPS or FedEx ) to send it on ahead than trust airline baggage handlers.

#170192 - 12/04/05 01:28 AM Re: Ideas for Makeshift Flightcase?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I have a friend working as ground crew. If his stories are an indicator, don't ship it in a cardboard box. These guys are overstressed and supervisors holler "faster-faster-faster, go go go."
They go in as SWAT teams, get the luggage and go. They just don't carry guns. Don't trust them.

#170193 - 12/04/05 10:57 AM Re: Ideas for Makeshift Flightcase?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
If flights are involved,,a quality flight case is a must..You will get a return on your investment[in one piece too]..

Quality is a must also...I wouldn't wear a $2 helmet instead of a high quality helmet for racing or what ever...why would we do this to our boards..

#170194 - 12/04/05 12:56 PM Re: Ideas for Makeshift Flightcase?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I think shipping through a shipper, like fed ex or UPS is safer than shipping with an airline or using the airlines baggage.
I have sold a half dozen keyboards on ebay and after packing them like Tony said, and using fed ex none was ever hurt.
However I wouldn't want to ship the same keyboard more than a couple of times using that method.
If I was gigging,roadies in and out of the van, setup teardown, flight case is the way to go.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 12-04-2005).]

#170195 - 12/05/05 10:19 PM Re: Ideas for Makeshift Flightcase?
zalmi Offline

Loc: London, UK
Hi all, thanks for posting

I'm posting from New York now; the last post I read before leaving was Tony's last post, so I decided to pack it in its box and take the risk, as it's insured. I arrived a bit late for my flight, so they told me to put the luggage in at the Gate, and there they didn't ask questions - so I didn't pay any fees. I put on fragile stickers, and it came out on a seperate conveyer belt in JFK.

So Tyros is sitting here next to me and looks fine (still have to get adaptor for it to try it - but it looks like its fine). So thanks everyone, and especially Tony!

Zalmi

#170196 - 12/08/05 09:42 AM Re: Ideas for Makeshift Flightcase?
zalmi Offline

Loc: London, UK
Just to let everyone know, I have tried the Tyros and everything seems to be fine, so thanks again Tony!

#170197 - 12/08/05 03:57 PM Re: Ideas for Makeshift Flightcase?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Happy Days....don't thank me, thank God...enjoy NY and your T-2...keep us posted .and good luck...
TR

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online