SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#170137 - 05/03/05 07:32 AM Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
SHORT:

Can a thumb drive allow you to have more or less unlimited storage for styles and sounds? Those of you using these, is this what you have discovered? You will have hard time filling them up?

LONGER:

I am thinking I need to seriously pursue either a psr3000 or Tyros. Graduated from psr740 to psr2000 and I'm blown away by what you can do but heck, I'm out of storage room. I put 20 styles on the 2000 into User. Now, no more can be added.

I also have found many new sounds and have started adding some.

And I'm using many registrations and that will continue.

I also run into an occasional polyphony glitch. That's minor for gigging but for demo's, it's not so good.

This is my problem. I use the keyboard for gigging but a big thing for me is songwriting and finding the right style for a song I've written. I don't like to have the same sound if I can help it.

I just now lucked up into a style for a song I wrote two years ago. It's perfect and I'm happy! I can only luck into things like this by listening to countless styles.

As I download styles and put them onto floppy, I listen to them and try to write a note about each one that has potential. But when looking for one for an original song, I just have to go through style after style. It's a pain to swap floppies. It would be far more efficient to have all the styles on one drive.

The Tyros has hard drive, so, I guess it's unlimited, more or less. As for the psr3000, do you think these thumb drives or whatever it is you use, can you put pretty much unlimited styles (within reason) on one of these things?

If I move up for the particular need, it would be for the next few months of work recording demo's. Thus, waiting for Tyros II is out of the question.

P.S. Anyone know a link to that European company that sold some kind of storage device for retrofit on psr line? I remember seeing that couple of years ago.

#170138 - 05/03/05 08:36 AM Re: Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I have a PHILLIPS CDRW that is SCSI hooked up to my PRR9000. The keyboard reads and loads any and all files from the cd without limits. NO WRITING just read only. I had this CDRW left over from a computer of years back. It is a free standing unit.
This might give you different ideas?
Bebop

#170139 - 05/03/05 09:19 AM Re: Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Personally, I think the hard drive in the Tyros is the way to go. It's a no brainer. you don't have to worry about bringing external media to a gig, losing the thumb drive, having it stolen or broken, etc. Thumb drives are just bigger floppy disks.

The Tyros has a USB/FileMode which makes it super simple to copy and manage files on the folders. My hard disk is quiet and holds 40 gig worth of data. I'm only using about 5 gig at the most.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#170140 - 05/03/05 09:24 AM Re: Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I'm so frustrated. Nothing I have has a floppy drive anymore except my 2k. I have an extra HD, a CD-RW drive and a couple thumb-drives. Is there ANY WAY to replace my floppy with one of these?

#170141 - 05/03/05 09:37 AM Re: Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
I have a PHILLIPS CDRW that is SCSI hooked up to my PRR9000. The keyboard reads and loads any and all files from the cd without limits. NO WRITING just read only. I had this CDRW left over from a computer of years back. It is a free standing unit.
Bebop

Uh, I happen to have an external Phillips CDRW! It says "400 Series" and says manufactured Feb 2001. It has USB cable to go into a computer. I also see red/white RCA jacks on back. How is your Phillips connected to your 9000?

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#170142 - 05/03/05 10:47 AM Re: Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Nothing I have has a floppy drive anymore except my 2k. I have an extra HD, a CD-RW drive and a couple thumb-drives. Is there ANY WAY to replace my floppy with one of these?

You can try to connect an external ZIP drive via USB or SCSI connectivity. IMHO those drives are able to read'n'write floppies too. On top of everything you can use it for ZIP discs up to 750MB of storage capacity.

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#170143 - 05/03/05 10:53 AM Re: Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff:
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
[b]Nothing I have has a floppy drive anymore except my 2k. I have an extra HD, a CD-RW drive and a couple thumb-drives. Is there ANY WAY to replace my floppy with one of these?

You can try to connect an external ZIP drive via USB or SCSI connectivity. IMHO those drives are able to read'n'write floppies too. On top of everything you can use it for ZIP discs up to 750MB of storage capacity.

[/B]

I think that I'm missing something....I thought that Bill SemiLiveMusic...has a PSR 2000....that being the case, I am under the impression that the PSR 2000 does not have a USB port, thereby making it impossible to
connect any other USB divises or again, am I missing something here......
Tony Rome

#170144 - 05/03/05 11:13 AM Re: Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Bill, I'd say forget the PSR2000 retrofit idea. Too clumsy & limited (can't even see the name of the files loaded). Save your $ and upgrade to the PSR3000 or Tyros instead. They both support MORE external storage than you'll even need.

The BIG advantage (to me) of the Tyros over the PSR3000 is onboard USER memory, which is significantly MORE than the 3000 has, allowing you to access a LOT more USER styles from the Music Finder than the PSR3000 can. Because I'm a big advocate of using the MusicFinder when I perform, remains an IMPORTANT advantage of the Tyros.

Scott

#170145 - 05/03/05 11:28 AM Re: Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Correct Tony, no USB on psr2000. I didn't know if the 9000 did or not, that's why I asked how he connected the CDRW.

#170146 - 05/03/05 09:34 PM Re: Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
babylon Offline

Loc: Saline, Mi.
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
Bebop
Bebop: When you talk of your CDRW being hooked to your PSR9000...do you just hook it up thru your SCSI port? and just format it as you would a zip drive?? Please excuse me if I sound dumb on this subject, but PLEASE tell me more on what and how you did this.

babylon

#170147 - 05/04/05 08:04 AM Re: Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
MY PHILLIPS is an OMNIwriter, is SCSI and uses a 50 pin Scsi cable between the Phillips and the Yam 9000.
NO formatting to be done, as it is read only and doesn't use the Write.
I just pop in a cd with 6200 midi files and it will play them all. I can pop in a disc with thousands of styles and load them into the 9000.
It is in addition to the hard drive that is in the 9000.
Bebop
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Uh, I happen to have an external Phillips CDRW! It says "400 Series" and says manufactured Feb 2001. It has USB cable to go into a computer. I also see red/white RCA jacks on back. How is your Phillips connected to your 9000?

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 05-04-2005).]

#170148 - 05/04/05 08:17 AM Re: Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bite the bullet, Bill! That's why the 2000's are going cheap. Everything keeps getting better storage-wise.
DonM

#170149 - 05/04/05 08:33 AM Re: Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Bebop:

Hey this sounds great, See if I've got this right, You can load styles/or/midi's on a Cdrw disk at the computer, stick the disk into a phillips cdrw player and connect to the 9000 via the 50 pin scsi cable (50 pin both ends ?) and it will come up on the 9000's screen and you can scroll thru and select a style and it will play it?

If this is correct, could you give me the model# of the phillips you're using. I have trouble programing the HD on my 9k and keep losing the styles out of the registrations, which has caused me to use floppy gig disc for some of the styles needed.
Pose

#170150 - 05/04/05 09:45 AM Re: Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by loungelyzard:
Bebop:

Hey this sounds great, See if I've got this right, You can load styles/or/midi's on a Cdrw disk at the computer, stick the disk into a phillips cdrw player and connect to the 9000 via the 50 pin scsi cable (50 pin both ends ?) and it will come up on the 9000's screen and you can scroll thru and select a style and it will play it?

If this is correct, could you give me the model# of the phillips you're using. I have trouble programing the HD on my 9k and keep losing the styles out of the registrations, which has caused me to use floppy gig disc for some of the styles needed.
Pose

He said his says 'Omniwriter.' Mine says "400 Series.' Mine uses USB (and also the RCA jacks) and USB is newer technology, so maybe my model is a later manufacture?

Anyway, if I can't use it, if you are interested, let me know. It's essentially never been used. Just a few times, literally.

#170151 - 05/05/05 08:40 AM Re: Thumb drives or hard drives - unlimited storage?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Semi:
What got my attention was the 50 pin connector, I've got a psr9k and was thinking this might be a good idea, don't know if the 400 would hook up. Also been thinking of buying a dual deck and a small mixer for recording here in the studio. Nothing fancy, but need to do a little homework on this, havn't got a idea of what I'm doing. What do you want for the 400?
pose@citlink.net .........Pose

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online