SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#169700 - 07/07/03 08:52 PM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've had one almost tip too many times for my comfort. I also had trouble fitting on certain tight stages because of the base design. The stand itself is very well made and stylish, but transport is awkward. It doesn't stack well because of the shape and it's kind of heavy if you walk with it more than a few feet from your car.

Sitting at this stand definatly has some "sight line" issues, but the overall sturdiness and convienience factor is very favorable to many.

I would not recommend it to a seated performer, and it does tend to bounce a "little" when you pound at the edges of the kb. The center of gravity is a very small fulcrum. It can make a great springboard of your keyboard if there are enough people around it !

#169701 - 07/08/03 12:02 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
ReneT Offline

Loc: NL
Hello Scott,

I do own one!
And I love it because it's very small to transport compared to my previous Quiklok 642 stand which I'm using at home.
As you know I ordered my Tyros last week so I can't send pics of the "Tyros and Apex" couple but you'll get them soon.
However I have to agree that a x-type is more stable but the Apex does a good job supporting it's keys.

Regards

René

#169702 - 07/08/03 09:27 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I find it very solid with either my Tyros or both my Triton and the Tyros. It's easy to carry to the car and I like the way it keeps my pedals from creeping on me.

Hi Al: Are you able to 'center' position the Tyros on the Apex stand without its column blocking any of the Tyros line outputs: main (L/L+R) or sub (1/2)?

The Apex's feet placement positioned to keep foot pedals from wandering adrift sounds like a BIG plus !

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
the bottom bars collapse and slide into the housing

Fran: This sounds even better than I initially imagined.

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
The built in handle makes transport very convenient.

Glenn: Sounds like a nice convenient feature. How is the handle designed? Is it a comfortable grip?

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
It doesn't stack well because of the shape and it's kind of heavy if you walk with it more than a few feet from your car.

Dave: I had thought the 'all in one' unit column shape/design of the Apex would be more condusive to stacking than a double braced X stand. Please explain what about the Apex makes it not very stackable.

I also thought double braced X stands weigh nearly the same as the Apex. The Quiklok 642 weighs 18 lbs and with the QLX-4 mic boom, adds another 2.4 lbs, bringing the total weight over 20 lbs.
http://www.quiklok.com/search_list.taf?_function=detail&Layout_0_uid1=50

Uncle Dave, do you transport your X keyboard stand with the Quiklok mic boom unit kept attached to the kb stand?

I think the Apex's mic boom unit may be a bit lighter than the QLX-4 because it only consists of the boom itself, while the QLX-4 also requires that additional attachment unit.

Quote:
Originally posted by ReneT:
As you know I ordered my Tyros last week so I can't send pics of the "Tyros and Apex" couple but you'll get them soon.

ReneT: I'm confident that you're going to love the Tyros as much as I do. Look forward to seeing pics of your new Apex-Tyros setup.

Ok, though I'm going to continue to take the Quiklok Monolith stand for larger all night venues, I'm still seriously considering purchasing the Apex (with mic boom) especially for those quickie transport setup/breakdown gigs. I particularly like: the built in mic boom feature, legs positioned to perform double duty as a foot pedal guard to keep pedals from going adrift, and the clean sleek visual stage presentation it provides for the almost standing height (seated/leaning on a high stool) position performing I do, which I'd expect the column not to block the line of vision. My only reservation is the degree of keyboard stability the Apex offers. I guess it's time to give the Apex a first hand audition. Thanks again to everyone for your valued feedback and input.

Scott

#169703 - 07/08/03 09:32 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Scott,
The stand is a permanent "Triangle" shape in it's closed position, and the mic boom pertruded off the side. (actually DOWN the side) It will lay flat, but it makes it hard to stach something next to it because of the small perimiter.
I keep the mic boom AND laptop arms attached in transit ..... it makes for a quicker setup and less to look for when I arrive.
1)set up the stand
2)hang the rack bag
3)place the kb on to
4)plug in howevermany spkrs I will use.

All the wires are in the bag for any size job, and the setup is the same except for amps. Make my life easier.

#169704 - 07/08/03 09:45 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
With the extended arms it is no problem..You can move the keyboard forward a couple inches and still not effect the center of gravity

Fran... that's good to know. Do you know if the 16" arms and mic boom are adaptable to the original "Apex Regular"? I would think the exptnded arms would work, but not fit into the column, right?

Scott... the handle is built in and folds in or out (for when carrying)... very convenient.

#169705 - 07/08/03 09:56 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I've seen a number of comments concerning "drifting" foot pedals ... Have any of you tried folding duct tape so that the adhesive is on the 'outside', and putting that under the pedal ... it's worked for me for years....
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 07-08-2003).]

#169706 - 07/08/03 09:58 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Dnj Offline

scott,

buy one from a dealer with a 30 day return policy.....try it and keep it if you like it?

#169707 - 07/08/03 10:16 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The oversized bars have a small rib that keeps it from using with the standard arm block mount..No sweat, I used a half round file and notched it away in less than a minute,,now they are interchangable..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 07-08-2003).]

#169708 - 07/08/03 10:32 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
scott,
buy one from a dealer with a 30 day return policy.....try it and keep it if you like it?

Hi Donny: I just did one better. I went ahead & ordered the Ultimate Support 'Apex PLUS' from: Muisc123.com, and it includes a 45 day 'risk free' return policy.

I'll be sure to let you know what I think of it. Stay tuned. - Scott

#169709 - 07/08/03 10:35 AM Re: Ultimate Support: Apex Plus Keyboard Stand w/ mic boom
Dnj Offline

Scotty,

Your a real Shrewdy and a Man of Action!!!!
I hope you enjoy it, you wont really know until you use it on stage, pack it away for a few gigs ....

Good luck!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online