SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#169197 - 02/04/05 04:58 AM May be upgrading to a korg PA1X (need help?)
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I have a Korg PA60 and I'm debating to upgrade to a PA1X. My biggest thing is the cost factor. When I bought the pa60, I didn't buy the pa80 because the differences were minor (hard drive, after touch, vocalizer, pcm card) to spend an extra $800-1000 dollars being that I had a Ketron X1 at the time and now a Ketron XD9.

Now I kind of feel the same now about the PA1X. I have played the PA1Xpro and the voices are very nice. The styles sound better with the live drum, but there just copies of the pa80/60 styles + some new styles. Are the differences between the two board’s justifiable verses the $3500 price tag?

????????????????????????????????

#169198 - 02/04/05 07:38 AM Re: May be upgrading to a korg PA1X (need help?)
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I have both of these keyboards in my store. Your question comes up often. After my demonstration of the new styles and dynamics of the new voices with multiple samples (like Yamaha's Megavoices) including the multisampled brass, etc., most want to purchase the PA1X model. To say the styles in the PA1X are mostly PA80 styles isn't exactly correct because the majority have been "reworked" using these newly developed voices and the realism is so much more impressive in the PA1X.
Next, you have all the other great new features......TC Helicon Vocal Harmonizer,
Sliders to adjust Volumes, Drawbars and programmable.
You add USB, a 20GB hard drive, color screen, internal sampling and the optional CD recording feature and the ability to play MP3s and CD files.
And also the 76 keys on the Pro or the 90watt plus speaker system on the 61 key model.
These features along with others I'm sure I have left off makes the PA1X the flagship model for Korg and I don't think there are too many buyers disappointed in their decision to purchase one over the PA50 or PA80.
Remember what I have been saying here for years now.............make sure you get a good demo at a store from someone who really knows both products and can point out the differences.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#169199 - 02/04/05 07:40 AM Re: May be upgrading to a korg PA1X (need help?)
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Hello,

NO !!!! at least not in my opinion.
I played the PA-80 for two years , currently have the budget PA-50 which as you know is almost identical to the 60 and pretty close to the 80 as well. In my opinion the PA1X, which I would like to have as well let there be no misunderstanding is way overpriced and, you said it yourself, basically has some improved samples and styles, mainly drawing on the styles and sounds of the PA-80 however.
My advice would be to keep the PA-60 (have you downloaded my latest software from www.irishacts.com ???) and spend the money that you save in this way ( a considerable amount I daresay) on a Yamaha 2100 or 3000, or e.g. a Ketron , even the SD1 is offered at very competitive second hand prices on EBAY.
good luck,
john smies

#169200 - 02/04/05 08:47 AM Re: May be upgrading to a korg PA1X (need help?)
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
John,

I have a PA-60 and I'm thinking about the same thing, upgrading to a PA1X or adding a PSR-3000, The thing is, I can get the PA1X really cheap (2400 euros), but I can't trade my PA-60 in, So I've got to sell it, I hope I can get around 600-700 euros for my PA-60, So that would mean I'd have to pay 1700-1800 for the PA1X, on the other hand I could get the 3000 for around 1600 euros, If you were in my position, what would you do?
I'll greatly appreciate any advice from anyone ,

Greetz ,
Marcel

#169201 - 02/04/05 04:21 PM Re: May be upgrading to a korg PA1X (need help?)
KN_Fan Offline

Hi MC-
If you wanted more traffic on your PA1X especially technical question, you could try the www.irishacts.com just like John said. I'm sure some of the owners here are willing to help too, but I just thought in case you had any specific questions they got tons of topics there on Pa1X, they're definitely pro-Korg over there though (unlike here we got both Korg and Yammie fans)which is not a bad thing, but I'm just letting you know

#169202 - 02/05/05 12:02 AM Re: May be upgrading to a korg PA1X (need help?)
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by Wazza:
If you were in my position, what would you do?
I'll greatly appreciate any advice from anyone ,

Greetz ,
Marcel

I would get a psr 3000 .
think about resale value too.in 2 -3 yr pa 60 won't go down much (psr 3000-also super easy to sell)than high end but outdated technology KB.PA 1x pro will be harder/slower to sell due to price/weight/speakers.

who knows once you start to use psr 3k(OS,ease of use and versatility) you'll even change your mind about pa1x.

PA1x has great additional features -but the bottom line-same OS and hardware buttons like pa50/60/80 in general(except sliders).
another thing -you have pa 60(unlike 50 you can install HD-meaning no FD swap).

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 02-05-2005).]

#169203 - 02/05/05 12:04 AM Re: May be upgrading to a korg PA1X (need help?)
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Hi Marcel,

Actually I already answered your question if you have a look earlier on in this thread and what I said to MC. Obviously it is a matter of opinion and of taste. Like I said I would not mind having the PA1X myself, it is absolutely a great keyboard and if you can afford it you might be well advised to go for it. Don't expect 4 times as much though. (having to fork out 4 times as much money I mean). And, referring to George Kaye's comments here, it also depend in how far you value all the extras's of the PA1X apart from improved sounds and styles. That and the sort of music you play, whether you perform publicly, etc.
Personally I have ALWAYS retained that having two keyboards of two different brands is the finest solution. In this train of thought you would therefore be best advised to get the PSR-3000 on top of the Korg PA-60. And that is probably what I would do personally, but it is a close call.
Incidentally you can probably get the 3000 even cheaper than 1600 euros, and sometimes even way cheaper on EBAY or Marktplaats.nl
But the PA1X sure remains tempting.
Perhaps you should first try and load down my new DATA set for the PA-60 and revalue this keyboard !!!! (www.irishacts.com, go to downloads).
greetings,
john

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online