Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#169059 - 08/11/07 06:45 AM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Hear, hear (but with a roadie, of course). BTW, Dave. I would "kill" for that "B3" (clone or not, it's so purrrrrty) so watch your back .

chas

Nah, don't need a roadie! It really isn't all that bad when using dollies. I get it in and out of the trailer by myself without much strain at all. The Leslie is actually the piece that requires some effort. Now If I was trying to move my original B3 it would never happen. That's what is so nice about having the XB3 since it weighs a little over half as much as a B3 but still has the sound. After all it is a Hammond.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to a review of the XB3 that I found on the web; http://www.hammond-organ.com/reviews/xb3_review.htm

Dave

#169060 - 08/11/07 06:50 AM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Yeah, sadly I can only justify something like the Nord C1. Unfortunately, there are none to demo in the Atlanta area. Has anyone played one? Impressions? The demos sound good and feedback from their forum is also overwhelmingly positive. Dan0 or George, can either of you get these things? Cheaper than 2800 beans? Would also need complimentary amp, foot pedals (more than 13, less than 25), and a good wide-range expression pedal.

Recommendations appreciated.

chas

#169061 - 08/11/07 09:22 AM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I tried an XB3 recently, and couldn't really get over how different the keybed felt compared to just about every real B3 I've played. Now, possibly, it might 'bed in' after a while, but if realism to the nth degree is what you are after, just the touch of that thing puts it far from fooling you that you are playing the 'real thing'...

Just my opinion...

#169062 - 08/11/07 09:52 AM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I tried an XB3 recently, and couldn't really get over how different the keybed felt compared to just about every real B3 I've played. Now, possibly, it might 'bed in' after a while, but if realism to the nth degree is what you are after, just the touch of that thing puts it far from fooling you that you are playing the 'real thing'...

Just my opinion...

Yes, the keybed is slightly tighter than an original B3 but not to the point of it being a detriment by any means. There is the added bonus that both the upper and lower manual are not only velocity sensitive but also have aftertouch which can not only be used for controlling external MIDI gear but can also be used for some pretty nice functions right inside the XB3. Like having the ability to morph from one drawbar preset to another via key pressure. Or having the percussion respond to velocity. True the purist isn't going to find these attractive attributes, but then again I am a purist but also into technology so I can see some real uses for these types of features in certain circumstances.

Is the sound exactly like an original B3? Which one, there are how many B3's out there? And they all sound a little or a lot different depending on age, wiring, tubes, speaker system, etc. So yeah, it has that classic Hammond sound.

Back to the key feel; Joey DeFrancesco and other serious Hammond players don't seem to have a problem with the key feel of the newer Hammond's.

Dave

#169063 - 08/11/07 11:19 AM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Pete Spina told me that Joey D. has 12 B3's at his home in Scottsdale. When he appeared in Philadelphia with Pete's big band, If I'm not mistaken, he had a GEM keyboard sitting on top of the B3. It makes sense, since the Hammond Center that provided Joey's B3 is also a GEM dealer. By the way, being orignally from Norristown, Pa. and growing up about a block away From Jimmy Smith, I got to hear a lot of B3 music as a kid. I never met him, as by the time I became aware that such good music existed, he was on the road. But I heard miles and miles of reel to reel tape recordings thanks to his father ,Clarence. With that, I must say that I never heard anyone play with the facility of Joey D.
Ciao,
Jerry

#169064 - 08/11/07 11:27 AM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
Dnj Offline

#169065 - 08/11/07 01:36 PM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Joey DeFrancsco article

http://download.yousendit.com/2471E2C86DA98476

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 08-11-2007).]

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 08-12-2007).]

#169066 - 08/11/07 04:23 PM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:

Quote:

Just a thought and I'm not picking on anyone but when we post a link can we describe what it is? I don't know if I wanna go to youtube if it is something that doesn't interest me. So I usually don't follow the links.
thanks

#169067 - 08/12/07 12:19 AM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
[b] http://download.yousendit.com/2471E2C86DA98476

Quote:

Just a thought and I'm not picking on anyone but when we post a link can we describe what it is? I don't know if I wanna go to youtube if it is something that doesn't interest me. So I usually don't follow the links.
thanks[/B]

Good Point
I normally do give details, but this one got away.
I have now added the details

Bill

#169068 - 08/12/07 06:16 AM Re: The Ultimate Arranger Keyboard
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
Hey, the more the merrier! Plus I'd love to have someone else play it so I could see how it sounds out front.
Dave

I'll try to do that some night so you can hear it out front.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online