SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#168853 - 09/26/04 05:20 PM Need inputs: Building a band (amateur) low budget sound system
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
As you may know I'm trying to build a low budget sound system for a band at our home fellowship (church). I already bought the touted 200 watts logitech Z2200 speaker and trying to find matching pieces to complete this starter set. I am not being too ambitious but just to get started. Here is what I'm thinking of buying and let me know if anybody has inputs, thanks.

-Four mics from Nady StarPower 1: It is a dynamic mic with a -3dB bandwith of 80Hz thru 12kHz. It has a wide semi-flat response between 80Hz and 2500Hz. The response increases linearly between 2500Hz and 12kHz then drastically rolls off.

-Behringer Eurorack UB1202 Mixer

-Musician's friend Lo-Z mic cable 20 ft for $2.99 each. 4 pcs

-Musician's friend Instrument cable 20 ft for $2.99 each. 5 pcs

-Musician's Friend Die Cast Mic stand $9.99 each. 3 pcs

-Musician's Friend folding Music Stand $4.99 each. 5 pcs. 2 for the logitech satellite speakers and 3 for the musicians and singers.

#168854 - 09/26/04 11:11 PM Re: Need inputs: Building a band (amateur) low budget sound system
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Han,

Best to you on your ambitious undertaking!

Here is something you may want to consider. Although the Logitech speakers may suffice for your Keyboard in a small intimate setting, you will in my opinion need an extra Uumph! not only for your Keyboard but for the rest of your Band to give you the sound you require.

Since the Behringer UB1202 mixer is NOT powered you should consider getting a PRE-Amplifier for your Mixer to boost the signal like the QSC RMX 850 Power Amplifier (used as an example only) which are sold at Guitar Centers. Then get some good Passive speakers such as the Mackie C300 Passive Speakers. They're a bit pricy but should be considered a great investment for excellent sound that will last you for years to come.

Or then again, you can forego the PRE-'Amplifier' and get some good Active or Powered Speakers. There are many out there that you can get that won't break the bank and are excellent speakers.

But IMO you need some quality speakers (whether powered or passive) that will do your Keyboard justice and also the rest of your Group too. Just remember if you get passive speakers you will also need an Amplifier as a go between for your Mixer and speakers to boost the signal to sufficient levels.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 09-26-2004).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online