SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#168828 - 05/21/03 05:02 AM Camcorders (OT)
waightkl Offline

Loc: Swindon, UK
I've been following the discussion about digital cameras with interest and I've been wondering if any of you knowledgable people out there can give me any similar tips about digital camcorders ?. I've just treated myself to a Sony TRV33 (mini DV format)mainly because I want to provide a record of our brass band outings ( and for family events and a bit of keyboard stuff as well ). The sound quality using the internal mics is quite tinny, but after splashing out the £s on the camera I'm not in a position to buy any expensive mics / mixing desks. Any recommendations of s uitable external mic (poss. stereo) that would cover both brass band and keyboard situations ?.

I've also bought a Ulead Firewire card and bundled video editing software. If I can cure the "dropped frames" problem when I'm transferring the video to my PC for editing ( more expense on the PC I suspect ) I'd like to do some editing on the captured sound. Any thoughts on a suitable package for taking sound from an MPEG / AVI / DV format, editing it and burning onto a CD ?.

Thanks all

Keith

#168829 - 05/21/03 05:22 AM Re: Camcorders (OT)
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Keith,
right now I am using a Sony Mini DV DCR PC3E with an excellent Zeiss zoom. I think that it's a very good compromise between weight and quality. The main limits are: just one LCD for all colors (instead of three for differente colors) and the autofocus that cannot be excluded (to have complete control over the focusing process). However, to have all these features, you have to give up on weight and portability and be prepared to pay at least 6000 dollars (which is about double the price I paid for mine in 2000).
Cheers

#168830 - 05/21/03 06:12 AM Re: Camcorders (OT)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
In the "old" days, I use to record myself using video camera, but using a Hi-fi stereo VCR deck as the actual recorder, rather than the camera. I had a mixer and ran the sound from the mixer directly into the deck. The sound was studio quality.
If you must buy mics, I would suggest Behringer. You can get three for around $50. total, maybe less, and they are quite good.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 05-21-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online