SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#168609 - 06/10/02 06:59 AM Re: Surprise, surprise !! PA80 is back in my set up !
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I don't know that Korg is doing that at all ( trying to dump stock ). There are no "Tyros" rumors floating about in Korgland, so if Korg is strictly looking to "dump" these boards, it's news to me. Another OS update is in the wings as well. The way I see it, Korg made the same mistake with the PA80 as Yamaha did with the 2000. They released it with an OS that was not up to snuff, and that probably hurt sales. The OS in the 2000 was much more complete in fact, but it had some serious stability issues ( at least mine did and judging by some other threads I'm not alone here ). The main difference though is that Korg updated the OS several times and made the updates available via flash rom. Had Yamaha kept their word about a flash rom capable upgrade to the OS of the 2000, maybe I'd still have mine.

The biggest difference for me though is in the way Yamaha treated my problem ( and the way they seem to treat arranger customers in general ) as opposed to the way I've seen Korg handle two speciific cases. I was " hung out to dry " with the 2000 for many many weeks with no solution ( or even meaningful dialogue )offered by Yamaha. In similar scenarios, two PA80 customers received immediate attention and dialogue with Korg and both had replacement boards within 10 days. If Korg could ever get a few things like the acoustic piano sounds squared away, maybe I could avoid Yamaha altogether. ( can't do it though,.. they got me with the Motif .. ). One thing for sure. though. The "Tyros" or any other arranger they release would have to be so much better than anything else out there before I'd ever consider another Yamaha arranger after my experiences.

If anything, based on what we see at Irish acts, it seems as if the PA80 is gaining in popularity, rather than being at a point where Korg needs to "dump" it.

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 06-10-2002).]

#168610 - 06/10/02 10:41 AM Re: Surprise, surprise !! PA80 is back in my set up !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I imagine the PA60 as a sort of "PSR" Korg model. It's just a way of selling the same sounds and styles in a cheaper package. Everyone wants cheaper.
The only disturbing ommisions for me would be the "to host" port and the "user insatallable" hard drive option. If they don't happen, I don't think I'd be as excited to switch. I can live without all the rest .... and actually PREFER to.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online