SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#168533 - 02/23/05 07:45 PM logitech z 5500 on it's way
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Well, I had been checking out those logitech systems for a while now, debating which system, new vs. used etc. and decided to get a new z 5500 system.
Amazon has them at $279 atm and also a offering a $30 mail in rebate for a total cost of $249 and free shipping. I don't think that price can be beat anywhere else and the system is on it's way to me as I write this.
As soon as I get a chance to mess with it a while I'll probably get a set-up like Gary's.
The stands etc.
I have a system already that I can use for bigger jobs but would rather not haul the extra weight when I don't have to, and the z5500 sounds like it will fill the smaller venue niche nicely.
All the info, reviews, etc that gets posted on this site is priceless.
Nigel, Man you Rock!
And thanks to all of you guys and gals out there. I haven't been posting much but I am reading everyday. And one day soon hope to contribute more.
in the meantime
Best to all of you.

------------------
The old Newb

#168534 - 02/24/05 04:26 AM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You're gonna love what you hear. If you have problems with the setup, email and I'll be more than happy to walk you through the pitfalls.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#168535 - 02/24/05 05:22 AM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
OldNewb Offline

Thank you Gary.
And I will e-mail when I am ready to begin construction. I may even be asking you as to best way for hooking up etc. if you do not mind.
Best regards

------------------
The old Newb

#168536 - 02/24/05 05:34 AM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Can anyone generalize how much more bang for the buck you get from the 5500 versus the 2200? I have the 2200 and I love it. But I might have an opportunity to get a gig at a crowded bar where there would be 100 to 200 young people. That's a pretty loud place, lots of yakking going on.

This would not be dance music. Singer-songwriter and honky tonk singalong stuff, guitar/vocal. So far, I haven't even gone past 25% but these have been small crowds, and everyone is listening, not yakking.

One other thing... is there any advantage to putting the five speakers of the 5500 on separate stands? I have my 2200's two satellites on top a mic stand. Why not just have a platform like I have and flare those five speakers into almost a semi-circle. Is there any NEED to have stands spread around the stage?

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 02-24-2005).]

#168537 - 02/24/05 06:15 AM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
OldNewb Offline

SemiLiveMusic,
You pose an interesting question.
I could envision certain venues where a speaker arrangement like you suggest could be not only functional but possibly even preferable. I could also see a benefit to using, on occasion, 4 seperate stands instead of the two, and setting up one pairin the normal stage area and the other pair further out in the room to help cover a LONNNNGGG room. You know the sub will cover but the satelites spread out could be the better route in some rooms.
I guess it all depends on the needs of each room and it's dimensions etc. Also if it is a very "live" room could make diference on how you may want to set up. possibly lower volumes but with speakers spread more may be preferable...
Lots of possibilities. But it's easy to get too carried away with complex set ups sometimes. I am a strong believer in the old and true "kiss" rule. You know, "Keep It Simple Stupid" ( no offense of course)

------------------
The old Newb

#168538 - 02/24/05 06:39 AM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Can anyone generalize how much more bang for the buck you get from the 5500 versus the 2200? I have the 2200 and I love it. But I might have an opportunity to get a gig at a crowded bar where there would be 100 to 200 young people. That's a pretty loud place, lots of yakking going on.

This would not be dance music. Singer-songwriter and honky tonk singalong stuff, guitar/vocal. So far, I haven't even gone past 25% but these have been small crowds, and everyone is listening, not yakking.

One other thing... is there any advantage to putting the five speakers of the 5500 on separate stands? I have my 2200's two satellites on top a mic stand. Why not just have a platform like I have and flare those five speakers into almost a semi-circle. Is there any NEED to have stands spread around the stage?

Semilive, I've performed using this system for crowds to 125 and had no problems, however, most were older and spent the night dancing. From my personal observations, young people rarely dance, they like their music loud and louder, and then they shout at the top of their lungs to talk to the person next to them at the table. Much of the questions you posed are subject to a large number of variables, room size, ceiling height, wall material, whether or not you're on a stage, and lots of other factors that go into selecting and EQing a sound system.

For any size crowd, I've always felt the speakers should be on stands, above the heads of everyone in the room. The only speakers that should never be on a stand, or course, is the subwoofer. Take a look at the music tips section of the PSR Tutorial and you'll have a better idea of how to set things up for your particular venues and needs.

As for the power and clarity of the 5500 vs the 2200, the difference is incredible. The 2200 was good, but the 5500 is awesome. Let your ears be the judge, however, before putting your money down.

Good Luck,

Gary

#168539 - 02/24/05 07:54 AM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:

As for the power and clarity of the 5500 vs the 2200, the difference is incredible. The 2200 was good, but the 5500 is awesome.

You mean in quality or volume? Both I guess is what you mean. How can you measure "power" or "volume?" Would you say 5500 is twice as loud?

#168540 - 02/24/05 09:39 AM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
Benno Kattenat Offline

Loc: qualicum beachBC Canada
WELL I SURE LOVE MY 5500, SET UP LIKE SUGGESTED BY GARY ,SUPER I MUST SAY, BEST REGARDS , BENNO

#168541 - 02/24/05 10:50 AM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way

Though I don't have a portable DB meter available, I would venture a guess the volume level is at least 40 percent higher. The quality is at least 75 percent better than the 2200s. Part of this is due to the fact that when I'm performing using the PSR-3000 and Z-5500, sound is coming from 8 speakers, six of which are the 5500 system, plus the 2 onboard keyboard speakers. That's a whole lot of sound being transmitted into the room.

I've never been above boost #4 on the main volume during a performance, but it have taken the volume to max just once to see how much headroom was available and it was unreal.

However, I do not recommend running any sound system at maximum level. First and foremost, you're inviting blown speakers at the very least. Additionally, while this system has incredible clarity, distortion can be a problem with any sound system set to maximum volume. Kinda' like driving a car with the gas pelal mashed to the floor all the time--hell-of-a-ride, but something under the hood is gonna' fry in less time than you think.

As I said earlier, let your ears be the judge. If you decide to purchase the system, make sure the store has a good return policy and no restocking fees.

Good Luck,

Gary

#168542 - 02/24/05 12:19 PM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
SemiLiveMusic Offline

One more, Gary. Say for small gigs like I use the 2200 for now... if I were using the 5500, are you saying at the same volume (apparent) level, the sound would be dramatically superior? More clarity or whatever?

I was thinking that it would very interesting to test the 5500 against a Bose PAS. $300 versus $2000. There is no way to know unless you try it but for singer-songwriter dudes like me, people go nuts over that Bose system.

I am getting a similar result with my 2200 setup... (room coverage and no monitors required). The speakers are flared on the stand, so they cover the whole room. And I get the benefit of no monitors because the speakers are behind me. I have had no trouble with feedback.

I figure the Bose is better but I wonder if it's 7 times more better than the 5500. It just might be a helluva secret, these cheesy Logitech systems.

I know this... people comment on how good it sounds. And I certaily don't know what I'm doing.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online