SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#168563 - 03/08/05 03:47 AM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The maximum number of instruments I've fired through the system was two guitars (electric), a keyboard and two mics and had no problems at all. This was for an audience of about 50 people.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#168564 - 03/29/05 05:01 PM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Well, more.

I did a gig last weekend with a trio that worked very well. Me on acoustic guitar, Gary on acoustic guitar and harp and John on fiddle. This place was a rowdy bar. It was 3,000 to 4,000 sq ft and about 50 people and they were very loud. Like loud talking. Hell-raisers. I was very nervous about this 2200 system with a trio, I tell ya, but it came through. We had it at about 60% to 75% on the 2200. We pulled it off and everyone liked the sound.

I did not like my vocals. Too dry. I just didn't think the sound was superb. It was okay. My Behringer UB1002 has no effects and I think I prefer something added to vocals. Although, this place had concrete floor and it's a metal building. But it just didn't sound great to me. Of course, all that volume was five feet behind me and the incessant yakking and shouting out front. Don't get me wrong, they loved us. It went great.

I want to add keyboard for some songs. I'm thinking of buying a z5500. I'd really like to have a Bose PAS but I can't afford that yet. But if it's needed, that's that. I'll just have to figure out a way to make it happen. But man, if that 5500 could work...

I'm wondering... if we were to try the 5500 and we had MORE volume, that's 5' behind us... is it going to work similar to the Bose? The speaker array serving as monitors. If I were to buy the 5500, I would rather assemble them on one pole like I have my 2200 satellites. Less stage clutter.

What I'm saying is I want it loud enough for the audience but it has to be tolerable for us on stage. Apparently, the Bose does this in spades. But we're talking about seven times the money.

#168565 - 03/29/05 06:40 PM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
travlin'easy Offline

I imagine you could stack all 5 satellites on a single pole, especially if you faced them in different directions. However, I sincerely do not believe you will get anywhere near the Bose PAS with volume and quality--but as you stated, the Z-5500 system is 7 times less expensive. I can tell you from first hand experience, the Z-5500 is considerably better sounding than the Z-2200 system, and it has a lot more headroom.

As for your vocals, why not purchase a small, Alesis 6 Channel mixer that has effects? You can pick one up for about $100, and those of us that have used them can vouch for the quality--they're excellent.

Good Luck,

Gary

#168566 - 03/29/05 08:39 PM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Is there any reason NOT to mount all the 5500 satellites on one pole? Arranged in an arc. Heckuva lot less clutter.

As for the mixer, yep, gotta do something. I need more channels than six, though. Eight, at least, when I buy one.

#168567 - 03/29/05 08:41 PM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Hey, are you going to sell ur mixer? What model is it, im in need of one.

Phil

#168568 - 03/30/05 05:16 AM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Pennywizz6:
Hey, are you going to sell ur mixer? What model is it, im in need of one.

Phil

Behringer UB1002. I doubt I'd sell it. Keep it as backup.

#168569 - 03/30/05 05:59 AM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
travlin'easy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Is there any reason NOT to mount all the 5500 satellites on one pole? Arranged in an arc. Heckuva lot less clutter.

No reason other than the stereo separation sounds better when the speakers are farther apart. You could construct a sound colum that would house the all the speakers permanently, something with openings in various directions that would be similar to the Bose system's construction. And, if you were good at wiring, you could rig up a single plug at both ends that would facilitate a faster, easy connection to the sub. It can all be done, however, it does take time, and of course some funding.

Good Luck,

Gary

#168570 - 03/30/05 06:22 AM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
No reason other than the stereo separation sounds better when the speakers are farther apart. You could construct a sound colum that would house the all the speakers permanently, something with openings in various directions that would be similar to the Bose system's construction. And, if you were good at wiring, you could rig up a single plug at both ends that would facilitate a faster, easy connection to the sub. It can all be done, however, it does take time, and of course some funding.

Good Luck,

Gary

Gary, what I had envisioned is a platform on top of a stand and the platform would have the five (or is it four) satellites sitting on top. On an earlier thread, I even mentioned customizing this platform so you don't even see the separate speakers. A customized platform with the speakers inside. Thus, all satellites would be at the same level off the floor.

However, you bring another possibility. Putting the speakers inside a vertical column, like the Bose speakers are arranged. In a line array, each pointing at different angles to the audience.

Sound-wise, do you foresee a superior setup? (All the satellite sound radiating from the same place, say, five feet off the floor, versus at, say, 3.5', 4', 4.5', 5' off the floor (contained within the column)?

EDIT: I see you have two satellites on a pole, two poles. Then a speaker sitting on the woofer. Is that satellite different?

Your 5500 sub-woofer looks bigger than my 2200. Is it?

Lastly, is there any way to incorporate the 2200 system together with the 5500?

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 03-30-2005).]

#168571 - 03/30/05 12:06 PM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
Benno Kattenat Offline

Loc: qualicum beachBC Canada
Hi ,i have my 5500 speakers set up like garys and can exstend them to a hight 0f 6 feet 2 on each stand and set them where ever i want in directions i like, works fine for me ,people are amazed at the sound, one has to try different ways, BENNO

#168572 - 03/30/05 12:54 PM Re: logitech z 5500 on it's way
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have a Z2200 and Z5500. I use the Z5500 to take out with me. Two satellites and center speaker are on a "Manhasset" music stand,and two remaining satellites are on each side on two cut down regular stands. This is sort of a poor man's setup like Gary's. I find this works well,as I took Gary's suggestion,and used speaker wrap to tie all the wires into one main trunks,and leave them connected to the sub. The trunk breaks into two toward the end.I just disconnect the speakers,and coil the trunk up and lay it on the sub to carry out.

However,in a quest to make things even easier,I think a permanent enclosure might have merit. I am thinking the original surround sound design is not applicable to me. I am running stereo.Not only that,I am not sitting in the middle.At least in my case,left and right is all I need.

As far as combining the two systems is conscerned,I do it at home. My Z2200's are hooked up to my Audigy module.The green in is plugged into one of my outs on the module.I then take a line out of my rig,and plug it into a line in of the Audigy module,and I have ten speakers going. What a gas!

Bernie

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online