Topic Options
#168309 - 05/20/07 03:57 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I'm not blaming the younger generation, it's just a shame

#168310 - 05/20/07 04:15 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
You may exlude me too, Diki. I still play the organ any chance I can get. I no longer own one (the musical one) but just last weekend did I bump into someone at a local music shop who does: A Thai expat who has a Kawai XR9000. It's been years since I've played a Kawai. Kawai is one of the few brands that provides physical drawbars and they sound pretty darn good. Not Hamond but a nice warm full sound. My new friend is waiting for the latest Kawai flagship to arrive (looks a bit like Yamaha StageA but with physical drawbars) and let me hear some demo songs and watch a demo DVD: WOW! I'm in love!

Taike

#168311 - 05/21/07 07:45 AM Re: Fake Organ Players
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Taike.

I've seen the Kawai organs on the Japanese site but I have not been able to find any demos of them. Do you happen to have a link at all or any information as to this DVD?

It does look one hell of an amazing instrument from the specs, but getting one into the UK would be as hard as getting blood out of a stone. Why do companies make it so hard for people to purchase organs these days. Stage EA, D-Deck, new Kawai all just about impossibe.

#168312 - 05/21/07 10:59 AM Re: Fake Organ Players
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sure, Taike, I'll play any organ when I get the chance, but the question was asked 'Why aren't youngsters getting into them?'. Youngsters want to do anything cool they see, but unless you gig them out (not many venues with a house organ any more!), they aren't going to see them, and getting anyone here to lug something around over 30 lb. seems impossible....

Why don't many still play the clavichord? Because better keyboards exist....

#168313 - 05/21/07 12:32 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Plus, I might add, add a secondary keyboard underneath the arranger you have, and a set of pedals, and ALL of us have a VERY full featured organ, functionally.

But how many of us will have the willpower to turn off ALL the arranger features and play it strictly old-school? Once again, not too many, I think.....

#168314 - 05/21/07 01:07 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Diki...you're right...not too many house jobs of ANY kind anymore. I play my B for nostalgic reasons...If I had to move it to use it, it wouldn't happen.

But, man, it it ever fun!

"Old School" Russ

#168315 - 05/21/07 05:51 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Craig: I've had as much luck as you; only seen the pics on the Japanese site. IMHO the Kawai flagship (Japanese for cute) sounds and looks better than Yamaha's StageA. Just to have physical drawbars is a treat. Digital drawbars are pure nonsense in my book.
As for importing a Kawai, it's possible. I do know that some UK guys imported their StageA. Some do it through a Japanese dealer and others through a Taiwanese dealer. The StageA is cheaper if I'm remember correctly.

Diki: My mistake, sorry.

Still, I am quite positive that the organ is still going strong in several European countries. But since Yamaha ignores the demand and Technics has vanished the options are less.

Stacking up two keyboards and adding bass pedals may get you close but it'll still lack the true power of an organ.

It's quite understandable that someone wants a quick start on playing the organ/keyboard, playing songs as soon as the instrument's out of the box. Nothing wrong with playing a one-finger-chord song but ...since such players only play a handful (fingerful) chords at the most, why not just learn to play them in full. The little extra effort will have them sound much better plus, before they know it, they'll be tackling more chords because they'll know that they can do it.

Russ: Keep that B3 rockin', buddy.

By the way, anyone interested in Bill Irwin's Concert series (sheet music)? They're wonderful arrangements, advanced player only, and they sure sound fantastic. It's not something you'd be able to play on a keyboard.

Taike

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online