SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#168299 - 05/19/07 10:30 AM Re: Fake Organ Players
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Bill any sign of the new Wersi forum yet from Colin?

That's the second UK Wersi forum by the way rather than the first as advertised in Cavalcade lol

#168300 - 05/19/07 12:45 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi ian,
no, the point i was making is they are still midi files, just set to play as an arranger..each accomp part is a looped midi sequence..that is all i was saying (it was more a "tongue-in-cheek" comment ) i too, like diki, prefer a fullfisted 2 handed way of playing, (especially some of the BIG jazz chords!!)so i use a few midis, and on other occasions i will utilise the arranger...but, and i think diki might do this too but i dont really know, i have most of my midis set up like a four piece band, the only tracks are drums bass and guitar, with me supplying all the keyboard action..
cheers
dennis

#168301 - 05/19/07 03:18 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I started playing the organ at 12 after 4 years of accordion. I got to play a B3 and the Mighty Wurlitzer as a youngster, so I was hooked early on. Didn't start playing the piano until college; there was a rickety console in the dorm and a 12' grand on a stage in one of the auditoriums. I've always played footpedals, still do at church. Left hand bass too.

#168302 - 05/19/07 08:32 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
That's how I try to do it most of the time I use SMFs, dennis. But I have an acoustic guitarist (and we play primarily acoustic music... CSNY, Eagles, America, etc.) so I'll sometimes put a little pad or E.Guitar part in for color and my guitarist holds down the rhythm most of the time.

But probably 40% of our stuff I just use the arranger drums, and kick LH bass myself (I like REAL basslines, not repeated little riffs!)

I am starting to learn how to get effective arranger rhythm guitar while still playing like that in arranger mode, but the machines still have fits when you start doing passing notes in both hands.... But it is starting to work, and finally my guitarist gets to play a few more solos, without the whole rhythm dropping out while he solos. He's pretty happy about that...!

So maybe 40% SMF, 40% LH bass and arranger drums, 15% no machines at all (but still do LH bass), and only 5% with full normal arranger mode. If I had a Chord Sequencer (like my old G1000) I would probably do a LOT more in arranger mode, but until it reappears, this works well for us...

#168303 - 05/20/07 07:10 AM Re: Fake Organ Players
Anonymous
Unregistered

B3 Gig
The sound is bad but if you boost the bass a little you will be able to hear the pedals better. NOTE: This is a 39MB file so give it time to buffer.

Personally I have always hated to play left hand bass and have turned down gigs in the past if the job required playing piano and covering bass with my left hand... until last night. I bought a set of MIDI bass pedals and sued them with my Promega 3 digital piano to accompany a female jazz singer that called me for as a sub. There was a great jazz guitarist at the gig as well it it was a joy to have both hands free to play piano but still have the bottom end covered.

Dave

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 05-20-2007).]

#168304 - 05/20/07 07:58 AM Re: Fake Organ Players
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Pretty cool stuff, Dave.

Nothing like a real B!

Of course, it sure helps when the player is as competent as you.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#168305 - 05/20/07 10:07 AM Re: Fake Organ Players
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
man I'm doing something wrong I think I got it figured out now

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 05-20-2007).]

#168306 - 05/20/07 12:21 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WDMcM:
[B] B3 Gig

Yea BABY thats what I'm talking about!

I'm afraid we're gonna lose that level of musicianship after this generation. What with beats and loops and samples, midi files, electronic this and that. One finger, easy play, performance assistant, instant gratification where are the kids gonna learn about real music. Whatever the style.
We need more talented teachers that can actually perform and appreciate a diverse music set. And can inspire his students to do so.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 05-20-2007).]

#168307 - 05/20/07 12:22 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
mikeathome1 Offline

sorry

#168308 - 05/20/07 12:43 PM Re: Fake Organ Players
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
I'm afraid we're gonna lose that level of musicianship after this generation. What with beats and loops and samples, midi files, electronic this and that. One finger, easy play, performance assistant, instant gratification where are the kids gonna learn about real music. Whatever the style.
We need more talented teachers that can actually perform and appreciate a diverse music set. And can inspire his students to do so.

Unfortunately, as more and more of us who CAN play without an arranger keep using them (and mostly in full arranger mode), where are the examples for young players to emulate..?

Here is a thread FULL of players saying they USED to play full organ (Russ excluded), but now they prefer the convenience and ease of arrangers to the pain of lugging around an organ and the skill needed to entertain well without your invisible band of backup 'beats and loops and samples, midi files, electronic this and thats'. One can hardly blame the younger generation of not learning that when we are too lazy to do it ourselves.

If arrangers had been around in our youth, how many of us would have given those up to do things the hard way? Not too many would be my guess...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online