SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#168122 - 07/05/03 06:13 PM How many keyboards are too much?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Well I find myself in envy of some other keyboards lately. I have a Triton and the Tyros and that's it. I would love a Steinway Grand, but do not have the room nor the wallet to get one. I want an 88 key studley keyboard for practicing. I also want a Motif 88 or 76 for a backup for gigging.

How many keyboards are too much? How many do you have?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#168123 - 07/05/03 06:54 PM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
I am assuming you want an 88 Key 'Arranger' for practicing at home. There are some out there. One in particular is the Korg SP-500. I have played it personally and it sounds very good although I am not "up" on all of its features. If you don't mind a non-Arranger for your home Studio I think the Motif ES 8 would fit the bill to a tee and then some. It has the best Grand Piano sound I have ever heard on a Synth. Plus they have included Chord Recognition into the feature list. And it has a digital I/O for added sound enrichment. If you have an AC-3 capable receiver, ie., "Dolby Digital", your output sound will be even better.

I have only one Keyboard at the moment. My PSR 2000 has never failed me yet in a Live situation but I realize that I am taking a chance without a backup. If and when I get my next Arranger Keyboard, I will most likely keep the PSR 2000 as a backup. If I get the new Motif ES in addition to the other 2, I would have 3 Keyboards standing ready at my beckon call when needed.

I am patient though, (at least I think I am ) in trying to wait for the best options/price point/features etc. before I make my next purchase[s]. Money is another factor too.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: If you've got the dough, I think as long as you have the room in your house/studio/etc., a couple dozen Keyboards doesn't sound too extreme to me.

#168124 - 07/05/03 07:21 PM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Clif Anderson Offline

Let's see:

Korg digital piano
Roland A-50 controller
Korg Karma
Oxygen 8 controller
Yamaha PSR-8000
Miracle Piano
GEM Bachman
Yamaha PSS-680
Yamaha SH10
Wind instrument with keyboard control
A few other toy keyboards (Yamaha and Casio).

The first four I consider "essential". The piano is used primarily for piano practice. The Roland A-50 controls my Roland XV-5080, taking advantage of polyphonic aftertouch. The Karma provides my autoaccompaniment and is used with the A-50. The Oxygen 8 is used to explore music software. The fifth, the PSR-8k, is at a second location and is the closest I have to an all-in-one solution. The others are mainly there because I rarely sell stuff or throw stuff away.

I don't see adding anything soon. I still have not returned to my house since the fire last summer. But next item is to upgrade the electronic piano. I would like to upgrade the Oxygen 8 to 3-octaves (it has two wo aftertouch) with aftertouch. A possible candidate would be the Nord Modular G2 announced for October. The Motif ES 7 (also announced for October) is being considered as an upgrade to the Karma. But as I have posted elsewhere, if the ES does not support chord inversions, I might pass on it (until it does). I will give the Korg PA1xPro a close look and am particular looking forward to whatever produces as their next high-end arranger.

#168125 - 07/06/03 05:07 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
My list:

Yamaha Tyros
Roland RD-150

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

#168126 - 07/06/03 05:45 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Roland A-37

#168127 - 07/06/03 07:52 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
kbrkr Offline

Quite a diverse set a keyboards. I notice so far, not many have an acoustic piano in the house. That get's me thinking on another thread possibility. How many players started later in life rather than start with Piano lessons at 8 years old?

Al

#168128 - 07/06/03 08:36 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Grand Piano (unfortunately not a Steinway)
PSR-740
PSR-220
Pair of clarinets

Would like a KN-7000 but don't have the money.

Bryan

#168129 - 07/06/03 09:58 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
siahwayne Offline

Loc: singapore
PSR2000
RD-150(for piano practicing & to control PSR2000)
wish to get a 76key synth action kb but not much choice over here in Singapore

#168130 - 07/06/03 10:11 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
danb Offline

For me, more than 2 is too much. I sold all my older keyboards and equipment and reduced it into 2 only. Now I'm just using Roland A-70 with controller VE-RD1 and a Triton LE (can't afford to buy the real Triton but I got a good deal with LE. I am going to a module route to utilize the capabilities of A-70. What's the best module out there?

#168131 - 07/06/03 10:40 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
General music Genesys
Yamaha PSR 2000
Yamaha US-1 organ

I'm just a keyboard junkie, what can I say.

A question for some of you folks what is probably one of the best Modules for Organ, string, and orchestral sounds.

Jerry

#168132 - 07/06/03 01:25 PM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I actually had a couple of piano's at one stage. But unfortunately we moved to a much smaller house when the kids left, and the piano's had to go.
I had a Yamaha Baby Grand & a Yamaha Disklavier ( acoustic midi piano).
Nowadays I have a
Technic's KN7000
Yamaha 9000Pro
Roland VA7
Technics PR602 Piano ( Arranger)

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#168133 - 07/06/03 03:25 PM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
KN_Fan Offline

I have my Triton Studio and KN6000. Technically two keyboards, but I only use one now (Studio), the 6000 is sitting in its bag collecting dust

I'll probably trade my KN6000 to a KN2600 or a Tyros, then I'll bring up all my equipment from my living room to my second bedroom and convert it into a decorated studio/music room.

Unless I'm a millionaire, I won't be buying a grand piano, although I did play a Yamaha C3 concert grand and a steinway (series B?) before. They're both nice, but If I got the money, I'll probably get the Yamaha Midi grand.

(damn it where did I put that winning lottery ticket?? )

[This message has been edited by KN_Fan (edited 07-06-2003).]

#168134 - 07/06/03 04:50 PM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
The Accordionist Offline

Ughhh...I looked at my list and became ill...

Petosa Millenium Digital Reedless Accordion
Iorio Digital Reedless Accordion
Cordovox Electronic Acoustic Accordion
Excelsior Art Van Damne Acoustic Accordion
Yamaha MU90 Sound Module
Technics SX-PX334 Digital Piano
Ketron XD3 Arranger Module

Way too much equipment but would you believe I use almost all of it every week? Also, my Cordovox and Excelsior are in excellent shape and would only fetch around $500 each on the used market so they're worth more if I just keep them and enjoy them.

Got a bunch of guitar stuff too but that's another forum......

#168135 - 07/06/03 05:29 PM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I try to keep two keyboards for gigging, but have a digital piano in the house.

PSR2000
XP50
SC88
Kurzweil Mark V

I'd love to get an VR-760 and maybe go back to a Korg or Roland arranger in time.

My brother-in-law has a Mofif, Karma and an S80, plus a couple of Proteus boxes.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-07-2003).]

#168136 - 07/06/03 05:34 PM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Bigfoot Offline

Hey if you guys think you have too many keybards, u can always think about donating one to me

#168137 - 07/06/03 11:28 PM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
My keyboard collection includes:

1) Steinway B Grand Piano
2) Yamaha Tyros
3) Yamaha PSR2000

I currently utilize the Tyros for all gigs, and now reserve the PSR2000 only as a backup spare. For obvious reasons, the Steinway stays put at home.

4) Fatar 1176: 76 note fully weighted piano action KB controller

5) GEM Piano Expander: Keyboard Sound module

I've been keeping the Fatar 1176 (with Protec Case) and GEM 'Piano Expander' sound module around for those solo acoustic piano type gigs, but since I rarely book these anymore, I'm now offering the Fatar 1176 and GEM Piano Expander sound module for sale. They're both in 'like new' condition and include associated manuals. If interested, email me at: scott@scottyee.com

- Scott

Fatar 1176 Keyboard Controller:
http://www.music-center.com.br/gif/fata1176.jpg
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/1996_articles/jul96/fatar1176.html

GEM 'Piano Expander' Sound Module:

http://www.af.lu.se/~fogwall/piano.html

#168138 - 07/06/03 11:58 PM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Big Red Offline

Loc: Canada
I guess I'm a bit of a packrat when it comes to keyboards and such. With the exception of my old Hammond M102, I still have in my basement den/playing area (it doesn't really qualify as a studio) my Hammond X5, Roland e38, Kawai WK50, Yamaha SH110, Micromoog (for which I paid a horrendous sum in 1975), and my main squeeze, my Korg i30 with a Korg ih harmonizer, EC5 pedal, and a Behringer MX602A mixer.

Amplification is comprised of a Peavey KB300 for the boards, plus a couple of EV mics via the Behringer and the ih, then into a Peavey XR600F going out via a pair of Fender 1225's.

Phew! That's it.

Oh, hang in there . . . there's a Tascam 244 recorder via a Kenwood amp and Celestion speakers. Not purist stuff, but it works for me. There, now I am done.

#168139 - 07/07/03 05:48 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
I've scaled down quite a bit and now use lots of sound modules to conserve space but my studio is still fairly cramped. My current setup consists of:

(1) AKAI S1000KB Sampler, fully expanded
(2) AKAI S1000 Rack Samplers, fully expanded
(1) AKAI MPC3000 Drum Sampler
(2) Fairlight CMI Series III Samplers
(1) Fairlight CMI/MFX-2 Sampler & Digital Recorder
(1) Forat F9000 Drum Sampler
(1) Forat F-16 Drum Sampler
(1) Korg Triton Rack that's fully expanded
(1) PPG Wave 2.2 with Waveterm A
(2) Roland JD990's with sound expansion cards installed
(1) Roland XV5080 with SRX Piano and SRX String sound boards installed
(1) Sequential Prophet VS Keyboard
(2) Sequential Prophet VS Racks
(1) Sequential Studio 440 Sampler
(1) Technics SX-KN5000
(1) Ancient Wurlitzer Organ with Leslie Speaker
(1) Casio VL-1 (This is what started it all!)

The Fairlight CMI's are the heart of my studio with the Sequential Prophet VS's running a close second. Drums and percussion play a large part in my sound which is why I utilize so many samplers and drum machines (have drums will travel). I rarely buy new gear as I don't find much of the newer keyboards and sound modules to be worth the cost for what they provide. The Triton and XV5080 were the exception as I find them to be quite useful. In my studio space is at a premium so the unit had better be damned good or it doesn't stay in my rig. Now if only some manufacturer would make an all in one portable keyboard that could replace everything I am using that would be great!

#168140 - 07/07/03 06:07 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
RicFreak Offline

Loc: Italy
It's my turn now:

1) KORG PA80
2) KORG X3
3) KORG M1
4) Roland JD800
5) Roland JX-8P
6) YAMAHA CS-01
7) Vertical Acoustic Studio Piano

I will add a refurbished KORG POLYSIX before the end of july.

Add to this a lot of non keyboard devices, from guitars to mixers, from pedal effects to rack effects, from multitrack recorders (Hi, Big Red: I too have a Tascam 244) to mics ....

And add my daughters instruments: a flute, a celtic harp, a pedal harp and a violin.

I use 2, 3 and 4 only for live gigs. All the other are my home toys.

[This message has been edited by RicFreak (edited 07-07-2003).]

#168141 - 07/07/03 06:53 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
TAFKA ThePro Offline

Loc: HIlton Head, SC USA
Nigel still hasn't straightened out my former profile so I guess I'm stuck being TAFKA for now and possibly forever (sigh).

My setup also has reduced quite a bit over the past few years to what it is now:

-Yamaha 9000 Pro
-Kurzweil PC2x
-Kurzweil PC88mx
-Kurzweil Micropiano module
-Oxygen 8 controller
-Creative Prodikeys
-Suzuki Qchord (a MIDI autoharp-arranger!)

The 9000 Pro is my workhorse, carrying 99% of my live playing now and even doing double-duty in the studio now and then. But Yamaha has really angered me with it's non-support of this instrument and the limitations on it's potential. They've promised things like OPT voice editing for it only to turn around and deliver nothing more than an apology. If the new Korg PA1X lives up to it's promise then I may ditch the 9000 Pro and Yamaha altogether as payback.

The PC2x is studio-use only and the PC88mx is semi-retired from too much stage use to now being a midi controller (it may become my wife's toy soon, like the QChord that I gave her last Christmas). The Micropiano module is just a handy thing to have because now and then I get stuck playing someone else's crummy digital piano. The Oxygen 8 is strictly for softsynth work/experimenting, and to my own surprise I get a lot of use out of the Prodikeys when I want to hack out a rough song sketch.

Despite my wife's precognitive "I know you're thinking about buying a new keyboard" (do all arranger-muso wives say that?); I really don't plan on any major keyboard changes unless:

a) the Korg arranger blows the 9000 Pro away
b) Yamaha regains my trust and I go for a Motif ES/01x studio
c) Open Lab's eKo becomes more viable and less expensive
d) something totally unexpected comes along to replace all of the above

[This message has been edited by TAFKA ThePro (edited 07-07-2003).]

#168142 - 07/07/03 08:25 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Big Red Offline

Hi Pro,
I just went to your website to hear a few of your songs but was confronted by the mp3.com screen. I don't choose to give out details about myself over the web, so would it not be possible for you to post some sample tracks directly on your site in the way that some other members of this forum do?
Thanks,
Big Red

#168143 - 07/07/03 09:09 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
For Big Red,

The information on MP3.com's website does not have to be accurate if you choose not to give the correct information. As to an email address that they ask for: simply go to yahoo and sign up for an account which will give you web email and "an email address"; once again the info you enter does not have to be accurate when you sign up for Yahoo. Get your account which will give you their web based email and SIMPLY don't use the account or email. That will get you through the MP3.com rigamarole and you will be able to download TAFKA's (Jim's) mp3's. NOTE: After signing up with Yahoo if you want your account to stay active, you will have to sign in periodically or your account will be frozen and you will lose it and if you use MP3.com periodically, it will ask for account information again if the cookie that was tagged on your Hard Drive from MP3.com is deleted, so you may want to keep the Yahoo account active.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 07-07-2003).]

#168144 - 07/07/03 09:52 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
kbrkr Offline

Ok, now i have SEVERE keyboard envy with only two keyboards. You should all be commended for helping out the economy over the years.

Over the weekend, I checked out the new Yamaha P250 Stage Piano. WOOOOW, what fantastic Piano sound and feel. The only thing holding me back is the $1700.00 price tag. 88 Graded Hammer weighted action keys. For another 500-700 bucks, I can get the new Motif 88 ES.

Which one would you get?

Al

#168145 - 07/07/03 10:09 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Well... here I was thinking I didn't have ANY gear, and while it is not as impressive as some of the lists above, here it is in reverse chronological order:
technics kn6000
technics kn1000
Fender Rhodes
cordovox
SANO Accordion (acoustic)
There is also an upright Otto Altenburg (with an Everett harp) which for several years has gotten far too little attention

To the Accordionist ... I would NOT get rid of the Excelsior if it has that Van Damme sound ... I just took a couple of LPs of his and recorded them to disc for posterity ...
t.

#168146 - 07/07/03 10:28 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
TAFKA ThePro Offline

Loc: HIlton Head, SC USA
Big Red (and anyone else interested in my music):

I updated my profile (and screwed up my profile in the process) so anyone who is interested can go to my website at
http://www.hiltonheadmusic.com/

and go to "Esh Live" if you'd like to hear samples of my current live music performed on the 9000 Pro, or you can got to my MP3.com site:
http://www.mp3.com/esh

if you'd like to hear some of my not-so-current but hopefully entertaining original music. Mike is right: give them a fake email address and you can listen to my music - sorry for the bother.

[This message has been edited by TAFKA ThePro (edited 07-07-2003).]

#168147 - 07/07/03 10:29 AM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ooooohhhh - you still have a Rhodes! I'm jelous. I miss mine !

#168148 - 07/07/03 01:01 PM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Big Red Offline

Thanks, Pro and Idatrod. I can have a good listen now.

#168149 - 07/07/03 01:39 PM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Ooooohhhh - you still have a Rhodes! I'm jelous. I miss mine !

.... for the right price......
t.

#168150 - 07/07/03 02:08 PM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
This obsession has been an on-going ordeal with me, and I'd have to play it and inspect the crap out of it before I even made an offer....unless you want to make a fast deal to get rid of it. It's strictly an impuse item for me, and unless it's a mint suitcase - the valuse to me is not that high in finalcial terms. So...... what's YOUR number? We can do this via email if you'd rather ....

#168151 - 07/07/03 08:19 PM Re: How many keyboards are too much?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have a Wurlitzer dual manual, 25 pedal organ looking for a new home, maybe next to that antique Rhodes..Then I will only have my old accordion, G1000,SC155 and this DisCover 5 laying around here..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online