SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#167898 - 06/24/01 12:49 AM Can a Vocal Harmonizer...
XP60User Offline

Loc: On, Canada
Dear All,
Great to be reading your posts again!
Having never used a vocal harmonizer before, I was wondering is it possible to change an accompaniment chord via the voice alone. Meaning as the singer changes his vocal note in his voice, can the arranger in turn respond say with a Cmaj chord if the singer is singing in C or Dmaj if the singer is singing in D. I don't know if I am even saying this right. Forgive me if I am asking this question wierdly, as I have absolutely no music technical knowledge, but just bits and pieces I pick up here and there.

Thanks in advance

----------------------------
To demystify Yoga: It is performed by every living being in the universe, every moment of their lives. It is merely the art of concentration. The purer the concentration level, the higher the quality of the result. It is the mastery of concentration that is a rare achievement, like a black belt in Karate.

#167899 - 06/24/01 08:30 AM Re: Can a Vocal Harmonizer...
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
I'm not the expert, but I think the answer to your question is - no. The Vocalizer receives chord & key info from your keyboard. I don't think it can SEND that type info back. Others may know more...
Tom

#167900 - 06/24/01 08:31 AM Re: Can a Vocal Harmonizer...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The internal keyboard harmonizers will not do that, nor will the majority of the external harmonizers. They "read" the notes, or chords, that you are playing from a pre-designated section on the keyboard, and select the harmony notes from them. Changing the note that you are singing does indeed change the structure of the resulting vocal "chord", but it remains in the key of the chord or notes you are playing on the keyboard.
There are basically 2 modes that the harmonizers use: Chordal and Vocoder. In Chordal Mode the harmonizer reads the chord, samples your voice, and reassigns the samples to the notes selected by the preset selected from your Harmonizer. In Vocoder mode, the harmonizer simply reproduces the exact notes you are playing on the keyboard.
There is and external non-midi unit made by Digitech that works simply from the voice and presets, but I have no personal experience with it.
I hope this explanation helps some. It is over-simplistic. The current harmonizers are quite easy to use and are nearly completly automatic. Having said this, the Korg Pa80 that I just got is the most limited I've seen when it comes to presets, editing, etc. I await a software upgrade. Are you listening Korg? They should take a PSR9000 and copy the harmonizer function.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 06-24-2001).]

#167901 - 06/24/01 11:57 AM Re: Can a Vocal Harmonizer...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
No...they should copy the Digitech format that was perfected years ago! The 9000 still doesn't do chord mode with the right hand. The mic peamp section is, indeed wonderful though.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online