SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#166688 - 04/26/07 03:52 PM Re: Live sound PA system advice
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Mark, My opinion--- I had the JBL 15 powered speaker, it was stronger than my JBL 10’s -- had more bottom/bass but I found it too harsh. After one year I had to get rid of it, no matter what I did it lacked the quality of it’s smaller brother. – That is my opinion, you need to listen yourself.

Another thought about the JBL10’, over the last five years they have held their price – the JBL15 has been offered for less at times. I am not sure that’s good reasoning.

100 to 150 people, no problem the 10’s–with my sub it does more than a good job. Like Fran said, the look of a speakers on stands on both sides of you does give a pro touch.

John C.

#166689 - 04/26/07 04:04 PM Re: Live sound PA system advice
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Scott,
I tried using my Z5500 with my set up – it was good. Then I used my JBL 10’s with the z5500 sub and that was great. But as you said the Z2300 sub is all I need on some of the senior jobs, it seems to balance more.

I am playing a fine restaurant this May – 50 people celebrating Dad’s 90th Birthday. My KN7000 and the Z2300 system is all I need to do a great job.

I have put the five smaller speakers on a “T” stand – the speakers are along the top – I have some lighting along the top where the speakers are. Getting daring –ha ha ha. I have rewired all the wires so I have a fast connect and disconnect. The five speaker wires are in a single wire holder keeping the appearance neat.

John C.

#166690 - 04/26/07 04:39 PM Re: Live sound PA system advice
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
500 people?
Hmmm............one Bose tower will more than do the trick.

JBL eon15's are bass heavy, and the horns are too dark
Mackie 450's are balanced and clearer
Barbetta's are punchy and loud, but the high end is harsh
Bose is clear, efficient, but some miss that "thumpy" bass that hurts your ears.

Best advice, like Donny said .... try them all out with your OWN gear. That's teh only way to know for sure. As for your friends who said you need pole mounted speakers to look professional ... well, that's just not so. It may be the norm, or the vast majority, but please ... never go on the advice of someone unless thay are IN THE FIELD themselves. Sound is not judged by looks. I DO admit that looks are important - that's one bonus of the Bose setup - can hardly even see it on stage !

#166691 - 04/26/07 06:22 PM Re: Live sound PA system advice
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
Marck,

Just in case the multitude of answers aren't enough, I'll add to the confusion by putting my 2 cents in.

I use a pair of ElectroVoice EV SXA360's http://electrovoice.com/download_document.php?doc=1413 . They are extremely well built speakers with the power to handle large areas. They are a little pricey but the sound is great.

They are more compact than my JBL EON 15's were and yet still pack more punch. When I put them together with my ElectroVoice EV SBA760 http://electrovoice.com/download_document.php?doc=1430 they really kick.

The sub has a built in crossover, but I use the one in my DBX DriveRack PA.

But if you're trying to stay lightweight, then just leave off the sub and you'll still get a lot of bass

Richard

#166692 - 04/27/07 04:30 AM Re: Live sound PA system advice
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I personally use the Bose L1 system, mainly they are extremely easy to transport, and it seems no matter where I play they always give me the same hi-fi sound.

My main complaint of the system is basically what UD said, they seem to not have that punch or in your face sound of horn driven systems.

I have 4 double bass systems for when I do full band set-ups. I had some sit-in musicians who are used to the over the top multiple speaker array for the dance club sound. They complained saying " the sound is not loud enough " . the funny part was that this person from the band was the only complaint, we were constantly getting praises from people saying, " wow the music sounded fantastic, and after 4 hours I don't have a headache and I was still able to carry on a conversation at my table. you guys were a pleasure, never once did we have to ask you to lower the volume."

this is Frank math

it only takes 1 valid complaint to cancel 10 valid praises

#166693 - 04/27/07 05:28 AM Re: Live sound PA system advice
MarcK Offline

I much appreciate all the great advice everyone has given. After much hemming and hawing I think I'm going to go with the Mackie SRM450's.

#166694 - 04/27/07 05:44 AM Re: Live sound PA system advice
Dnj Offline

Good Choice & Good Luck !!

Enjoy

#166695 - 04/28/07 06:08 PM Re: Live sound PA system advice
MarcK Offline

Just to throw in a monkey wrench - today I was speaking with another gigging musician who has used the Mackie 450's and while he loves the sound, he reported reliability issues possibly related to these speakers now being made in China as opposed to Italy. He mentioned that he's looking into speakers from FBT - has anyone had experience with this brand of powered/active speakers?

#166696 - 04/29/07 10:17 AM Re: Live sound PA system advice
MarcK Offline

To those who have recommended Yorkville - in particular are you referring to the NX55p? They seem to be rather hard to find, but from the little I could gather they are highly recommended. Anyone tried these? Thanks.

#166697 - 04/29/07 12:57 PM Re: Live sound PA system advice
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Marc I use the nx 520's..they are great ..The nx55 replaced the nx520's..They improved the low end as well as the full range..Go for the NX 55's..

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online