SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#166658 - 04/24/07 03:30 AM Live sound PA system advice
MarcK Offline

I'm finally biting the bullet and getting a full-blown sound system (I currently have been using a single Motion-Sound amp for gigs). One of my big questions is whether to go for powered or unpowered speakers. What are the pros/cons of each setup? Any brand/model recommendations are welcome as well.

#166659 - 04/24/07 03:46 AM Re: Live sound PA system advice
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
There are pros and cons for each.
Powered speakers tend to be heavier because of the built in amp. Also you need to run a power cable to each speaker and a signal speaker.

Powered speakers are usually matched up very well with their internal amp so you are getting the best you can out of them.

with powered speakers you only need a passive mixers, and sometimes if a jiff you can plug directly into the speakers themselves without a mixer.

Non-powered takes a little more skill and patience.

they are lighter, come in more variations but you need to feed them power.
IT can be from a powered mixer or power amp, but now it's up to you to match the proper power levels do a little more eqing.

Generally when I set-up [erformers or bands I need a couple of questions answered first.

1. how many pieces
2. what type of music
3. how big a crowd
4. what size/type of venue
5. who's gonna carry the stuff
6. who's running the stuff
7. what kind of budget

if you'd like you can call me or email for more info

#166660 - 04/24/07 04:15 AM Re: Live sound PA system advice
Dnj Offline

#166661 - 04/24/07 05:36 AM Re: Live sound PA system advice
MarcK Offline

If only because of the weight, I'm probably partial to unpowered speakers. I'm usually a one-man show and schlepping my keyboard is enough exercise for me as it is. Plus the idea of not having to plug the speakers in seems very convenient. I obviously don't want to spend more than necessary but I'd rather pay for quality than save money and get mediocre sound and reliability. Could anyone give me a primer on how to match a powered mixer/amp with passive speakers? I know how more watts = more volume but that's about it. I'm clueless with regards to ohms, and then I also see how they mention something like "300 watt program/450 watt peak" - what does it all mean? Also, which brands have the best reputation? So far I've been hearing Mackie and Yamaha mostly. Thanks for the help everyone! By the way, I don't need some huge mixer with ten channels - at most I'd probably want it to be able to handle four instrument channels and two singers.

#166662 - 04/24/07 06:03 AM Re: Live sound PA system advice
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I favor powered speakers, I feel it leaves me with many options.

1-The amp is designed for the speaker.
2-I start with 2 JBL 10’ powered speakers.
3-I add a sub if I need more overall power.
Then the speakers go on stands. With the larger set up I use a Mackie non-powered mixer.
Handling 200 people is not a problem.
But as others have said – depends on the music you are playing.

As far as weight – I walk on the job with a speaker in each hand – they weigh 34 pounds each. I feel a good powered mixer weighs more than that.

My advantages -- I can change my set up to meet the need.
Small job one speaker no stand or mixer, I use what is in the keyboard.
I’m carrying a keyboard – keyboard stand – mic and stand – speaker – and laptop. Very little effort.

I add what I need to the PA system and to the price of the job for bigger venues.

This set up fits my personality. My friend uses a Mackie powered mixer 808 and two 15” Peavy cabinets. Also a great sound. A bit heavy for me.

As a guitar player I got a sound from 10” speakers that I could not get from 12” or 15” speakers. Not sure why, just was.

John C.

#166663 - 04/24/07 06:15 AM Re: Live sound PA system advice
moldmaker Offline

Loc: Illinois

#166664 - 04/24/07 06:20 AM Re: Live sound PA system advice
frankieve Offline

I am a dealer for Samson and Behringer,
check those sites out and give me a call.

I give synthzone discounts since you guys were my first customers.

888 374-6076

Frank

#166665 - 04/24/07 06:42 AM Re: Live sound PA system advice
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I use a Mackie 808s powered mixer and two C300 passive 2-way speakers. It's a great flexible system; I've played for 50-500 people with the same equipment. The mixer is the heaviest piece.

If I were replacing the rig I would look at the Peavey PR12 speakers because they are even lighter. A powered mixer worth its price will be heavy, so maybe I'd look at the powered Peavey 12's and get a nice mixer - still three pieces. http://www.peaveymag.net/productdetails-dealer-02205-prodid-2629.aspx

#166666 - 04/24/07 06:56 AM Re: Live sound PA system advice
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MarcK:
If only because of the weight, I'm probably partial to unpowered speakers. I'm usually a one-man show and schlepping my keyboard is enough exercise for me as it is. .

http://www.rocknrollercart.com/

#166667 - 04/24/07 06:57 AM Re: Live sound PA system advice
frankieve Offline

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online