SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#166624 - 09/05/03 12:47 PM Re: Tyros poor SMF playback sounds...,
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Sorry guys, I'm an idoit, I forgot to put the link in, duh!!!

If you guys get to try it first let me know how it works,

later

#166625 - 09/05/03 02:49 PM Re: Tyros poor SMF playback sounds...,
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The PA80 sounds better in smf playback. If you could save the EQ edits on the Tyros....it could bridge the gap, but at the flat 64 settings...it's lifeless - even when revoiced. GM was made on a Roland, and Korg and Roland have always held hands nicely.

#166626 - 09/05/03 03:19 PM Re: Tyros poor SMF playback sounds...,
Vquestor Offline

Can this midiplayer program also be used
for correcting and improving the sound of GM SMFs to work on a PSR-1000/2000?

#166627 - 09/05/03 03:20 PM Re: Tyros poor SMF playback sounds...,
frankieve Offline

Thanks Uncle Dave,

I did have a little hope that it would sound at least as good. Better off

So as it stands

plackback quality SMF
1. Roland GS (not JV/XR stuff)
2. Korg
3. Ketron/Yamaha
4. Everybody else?

LAter

#166628 - 09/05/03 03:21 PM Re: Tyros poor SMF playback sounds...,
frankieve Offline

Can this midiplayer program also be used
for correcting and improving the sound of GM SMFs to work on a PSR-1000/2000?

That's what it said but only if there are other voices to choose from

#166629 - 09/05/03 06:29 PM Re: Tyros poor SMF playback sounds...,
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
By Far ... the SD1 has the BEST SMF playback I have heard. Especialy songs containing Guitar strumming (ex. James Taylor etc.) Awhile back I was at a Sam Ash and played a Tune 1000 James Taylor SMF in a 9000Pro and a Triton. The 9000Pro was Very Poor the Triton much better, but not as "Life Like" as the SD1. I am hoping the PA1XPro is an improvement. The Roland (I owned a G600 & G1000),in my oppinion, does a better job than the Korg and the Yamaha.

#166630 - 09/05/03 06:52 PM Re: Tyros poor SMF playback sounds...,
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Ok.
Like UD says, if you play the SMF with the factory set-up on the Tyros, yes, you don't get a very crisp/textured sound. However, if you go in to the mixer and change the compressor and EQ settings to live/club etc. you will notice that you get a whole different sound picture. I don't know about yours, but my Tyros plays the files fabulous.

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#166631 - 09/06/03 06:42 AM Re: Tyros poor SMF playback sounds...,
frankieve Offline

That's simply changing an EQ setting, if the voices are not there or different, it effects the way they saounds with or without EQ.

I have a midi file of the nora Jones hit, when played through my Tyros is played fine, but then I happened to play it on my Roland MC-80 and it went from a great sounding midi file playback to an almost actuall live performance, I doubt that EQing could get that to happen.

But if it could I need the biggest eq for my performances.

someone mentioned the EQ setting could not be stored? So if I change the settings to live/club, it will revert back when? everytime the keyboard is powered up or every midi file is played?

#166632 - 09/06/03 09:35 AM Re: Tyros poor SMF playback sounds...,
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
As far as I can tell - you can't store changes to individual EQ in the seq parts. I tried a dozen times with no success. Each time a new midi file is called up - the default goes to 64(straight up) settings. 64 is lifeless on the Tyros.

It doesn't seem right that you can make such precise edits, but not save them for later use? It saves the global graphic. It saves the individual EQ settings for the real time parts (in registrations)...why not the seq parts? Am I missing something here?

Looks like I get the Ty on Sunday...if this dude hasn't changed his mind. I got a LOT of work ahead of me......and here I go into my busiest season too! Aaaghhh !
WHAT DID I DOOOoooooooo>

#166633 - 09/06/03 09:49 AM Re: Tyros poor SMF playback sounds...,
frankieve Offline

Uncle Dave,

I think if globally you can get the Tyros to get that umph accross, then most of the styles are pretty good, some exceptional, a couple are boring.

As for Midi playback, I think with the added eq ( which probably can be saved and sent with each midi file as a system exclusive )and the remapping to the better voices, you pretty much there.

I'm still a little worried about the on board harmonizer but with everything you have to acquire the taste for it.

It is different but both you and I are used to hearing things one way, so maybe we are being too critical. I don't know

Just have a couple of Long Island Ice teas just before you play and then everything sounds awesome

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online