SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#166486 - 04/04/07 06:48 AM Re: Breaking News - PSR S900/700/500 Official Specs
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I think the main reason that main manufactures steer clear of making software arrangers (At least at the moment) is that people tend to run a mile when they hear the words computer, software etc, even though bespoke computers and software are built into virtually every piece of electrical equipment on the market.
One thing I will say though is that once you have had an open keyboard, it would be very difficult to go back to the limitations of a Hardware board. (I know I would have great difficulty)
Times however are changing, so who knows what the future brings, except perhaps that 10 yrs from now I will probably still be playing my Abacus. (Although give it another 2-3 yrs when the Mediastation has matured I may be tempted away from Wersi, But then again in 2-3 yrs the Wersi will also have advanced, so we will have to wait and see)
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#166487 - 04/04/07 09:06 AM Re: Breaking News - PSR S900/700/500 Official Specs
F161 Offline

Loc: UK
I'm with Ian on this one. I kept my expectations for the S900 in check, and the basic specs that have so far been released has met (and slightly exceeded) those expectations.

It's hard to improve on already great sounding technology - I loved my PSR3000, and as I already mentioned, it's a cracking keyboard - even by today’s standards.

For me, the ultimate test on how 'great' a keyboard is, is the quality of the voices. Obviously things like keyboard feel, poly, features and usability also play a big factor - no doubt about it, but for me personally the sound quality is the most important thing.

I can fully appreciate that other members here were expecting more from the S900 for the 3 years that it has been in development, and they are quite right to do so, but until we actually hear some live demos we might just find that it has more in common with the T2 (from a sound standpoint) than the initial specs seem to suggest.

Even if it turns out to be simply a 3000 with 23 new SA voices and new styles, then that's still ok by me - that's all I was expecting and hoping for

Also, lets remember that the S900 will be the same(ish) price as the 3000 currently retails for. It's ultimately a mid-range keyboard and Yamaha have to save the big features for their top-end Tyros range, otherwise nobody would invest in a T2 if the S900 had all/most of the same specs. It's about striking a balance between the low, mid and top ranges, and for me Yamaha has done this.

Just seen that one of the largest online UK retailers have the S900 on their site for £1080 - just £80 more than the 3000 currently sells for:

http://www.chamberlainmusic.com/results.asp?cat=KBYAMP

Not bad at all, and less than half the price of a T2. I'm now sold, and will be getting an S900 in July

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by F161 (edited 04-04-2007).]

#166488 - 04/04/07 09:12 AM Re: Breaking News - PSR S900/700/500 Official Specs
Dnj Offline

Good Luck with your S900.....please post demo songs for us & your thoughts asap too!

#166489 - 04/04/07 09:29 AM Re: Breaking News - PSR S900/700/500 Official Specs
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
squeak.... I think you have missed the most important aspect of SA voicing, the thing that DOES make it revolutionary. Yes, some of the SA 'tricks' are done with velocity switching, and you are right, old hat. BUT.... the thing that REALLY makes the horn samples shine is the ability to trigger tongued/legato samples depending on how you play. NOT velocity based.

It is a very similar concept (although the means of deriving it are totally different) to the 'percussion' part of a Hammond, where the percussion only plays at the beginning of a phrase, and doesn't reappear until you lift your fingers off the keyboard completely. So the T2 (and now the S900 and the new MotifXS) are capable of phrasing lines with FAR more expression than before, and also tie it to a technique (legato/staccato) that all keyboard players already know and understand. It truly IS revolutionary....

Now horn or string lines are just the beginning... For you, especially, here is a way with samples to get close to the minimoog-type envelope triggering on synth sounds, but polyphonically, too. The possibilities are just beginning to be apparent. Even Yamaha have only started to realize what this can do (the MotifXS's SA voices are FAR more customizable and flexible than the T2's).

What Yamaha have managed to do is to give us another layer of control, WITHOUT tying it to a non-standard performance technique. This is, I believe, one of Yamaha's traditional strengths. Rather than put this control on footswitches, or 'hot keys' like some GIGA type sounds do, Yamaha just worked out how to let the machine recognize what you are already playing, and turn it into useful sound control. No hoops to jump through.

I can only hope the rest of the synth and arranger world jumps all over this technology. It is the first truly new way to 'play' samples since the Emulator came out.

#166490 - 04/04/07 09:32 AM Re: Breaking News - PSR S900/700/500 Official Specs
F161 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Good Luck with your S900.....please post demo songs for us & your thoughts asap too!

Will do Dnj I've just emailed the retailer in the UK to see if I can secure the S900 from their first batch in July. Fingers crossed!

I was holding out on the price confirmation before making my decision (and a big thumbs up to Ian for being spot on here). If it was going to be much more than the 3000 retails for then I was going to 'go for it' and get a T2. But now I have confirmation on the price, it just seems to be the right decision for me all round. I know I've made this decision prior to actually hearing the S900 in action, but I have total faith in Yamaha's ability in this department.

I was also tempted to hold out and see what was in store for us with the new Ketron, but I can imagine that one may be in the same price range as the T2, plus I need a new arranger asap as I sold my 3000 a couple of months back.

Regards
James

#166491 - 04/04/07 01:58 PM Re: Breaking News - PSR S900/700/500 Official Specs
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi James
If you are anywhere near Blackpool, on the 11-18 May is the Blackpool keyboard Festival which this year has open days (for non festival residents) on the Sunday and Wednesday, and as the S900 will most likely be on show you will be able to try it, also they normally do special deals for those who attend or visit the Festival.
It may also be shown at the Pakefield Festival in a couple of weeks, so SZ members who are going will be able to give you a first hand report.

Bill

#166492 - 04/04/07 07:50 PM Re: Breaking News - PSR S900/700/500 Official Specs
MarcK Offline

I agree that Yamaha did not make the S900 as great as it could be. But remember, they are in a business to maximize profit and without a doubt they are trying to strike a balance between making their customers as happy as possible while at the same time offering as little as possible over the competition at the same price point. They will never release the "perfect" keyboard, because there is no need to, and it would be difficult to keep users in the upgrade cycle.

In any event, it is my personal opinion that Yamaha's product cycle makes it ideal to upgrade only with every OTHER release. For instance, I owned a PSR-630, skipped the 640/740, then upgraded to a PSR-2000, skipped the 2100, and now use a 3000, which I intend to use until the S900's replacement arrives. These keyboards are complex, sophisticated machines and it can take many months just to become familiar with the voices and styles and proficient with the functions and operations. In fact, I've had my PSR-3000 for about a year now and truly I still haven't gotten a clear "mind map" of all the styles and voices as I had with the PSR-2000 after owning it for several years. I think upgrading with every new release is not the best idea because you have to learn twice as many new keyboards, it is more costly, and truth be told the differences between one model and the immediate successor are usually not all that major.

#166493 - 04/05/07 07:39 AM Re: Breaking News - PSR S900/700/500 Official Specs
F161 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi James
If you are anywhere near Blackpool, on the 11-18 May is the Blackpool keyboard Festival which this year has open days (for non festival residents) on the Sunday and Wednesday, and as the S900 will most likely be on show you will be able to try it, also they normally do special deals for those who attend or visit the Festival.
It may also be shown at the Pakefield Festival in a couple of weeks, so SZ members who are going will be able to give you a first hand report.

Bill

Hi Bill - many thanks for the heads-up. I have that week off of work, so I may just take a trip to Blackpool and check it out

James

#166494 - 04/05/07 02:27 PM Re: Breaking News - PSR S900/700/500 Official Specs
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The thing is, until Yamaha raise the bar even higher with a T3, and newer, better capabilities, raising the bar TOO high on their mid-line arrangers is only going to scavenge sales of their TOTL arranger... Not something I think they want to do.

Wait until there's a T3, and I guarantee the NEXT mid-line PSR will be closer to T2 capabilities.

#166495 - 04/05/07 03:57 PM Re: Breaking News - PSR S900/700/500 Official Specs
miden Offline

Loc: The World
best part about the 900 release is it will mean i can afford a 3000...because it will probably drop in price as yamaha attempt to clear the warehouse, or a trade-in on the new model will become available...and if that doesn't happen then the e50 (with guitar mode as well!!) will be next in line

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online