SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#166390 - 02/10/05 09:57 AM Re: Is Yammie 'incapable' of making a worthy 76 note Arranger?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Nobody wants a 76-note keyboard more than me... I've said that I intend never to own another 61-note instrument and I see nothing that will change that. But the guy I got that NAMM floor "survey" info from is a pretty reliable guy who is also a 76-note fan, and he said he asked pretty much everyone he met on the floor why so few 76-note instruments - poor sales were cited, believe it or not. There has to be some logical explanation why there are so few 76-note controllers of any kind on the market.

#166391 - 02/10/05 10:10 AM Re: Is Yammie 'incapable' of making a worthy 76 note Arranger?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As you may know, I recently purchased a Ketron SD1. I do really enjoy the 76 keys. Also, my "fans" who regularly come to hear me have commented on the "new" sound, and ask what I've done to make it better.
Even though the SD1 has been out several years, and is a little behind the times in data transfer, it is also far ahead of its time in many other departments, including sounds, personalization capabilities and even live play.
The vocal inputs work great, and the vocal harmonizer is far superior to the Tyros/PSRs.
Main drawbacks for me are the smaller buttons and the way some of them are placed. However, with the help of the 6-switch foot control, I am finding it quite comfortable to play live.
My point is, when looking for a great-sounding 76-key arranger, don't overlook the SD1.
Support? How many companies come out with a new operating system, several years after introducing the keyboard, that in effect makes it almost new. That's what Ketron did. The new OS contains many new features, styles, sounds, etc., all at no cost.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 02-10-2005).]

#166392 - 02/10/05 10:16 AM Re: Is Yammie 'incapable' of making a worthy 76 note Arranger?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
I've got my finger crossed hopeing tyII will have 76 keys. It's not a complete keyboard unless it does. To me a grand piano put chills down the spine, when you get on the low notes and go to the top, this is hard to do on a short board, when accmpt is turned on,even making the shift with a pedal. Also I would love to be able to do more 3 way splits on the keyboard, not enough room.

I have a 9k and a pro, the pro is a beautiful keyboard, but I've never been able to get the sound half as good as the psr9k I've tried everything I can think of, even using the psr settings and pluging it into the same sound system, It just seems to not have the same system or something. I recently installed OS 2.0 and that helped a lot, but It still dosn't sound half as good as the psr. If I knew what I know now, it would have been returned immediately, after I bought it, But it does a great job setting in our local church, and the 76 keys allows oridinary pianists to use it.

Looking forward for the TyrosII but if it dosn't have 76 keys (YAMAHA)! I'll keep my psr9000, Right now I prefer it over the Tyros. The tyros does have some very nice features, But to me its a Cheaply made keyboard, Don't like the feel of it,and They took out the scats, (love em). I don't need anything else thats not in the 9000, except 76 keys, and additional storage....Pose

#166393 - 02/12/05 10:42 PM Re: Is Yammie 'incapable' of making a worthy 76 note Arranger?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Another option would be to make a Tyros II module - like Ketron. Like that you could plug in whatever style keyboard you want.

#166394 - 02/13/05 09:16 AM Re: Is Yammie 'incapable' of making a worthy 76 note Arranger?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by loungelyzard:
To me a grand piano put chills down the spine, when you get on the low notes and go to the top, ........... The tyros does have some very nice features, But I don't need anything else thats not in the 9000, except 76 keys, and additional storage....Pose

Absolutely my very own opinion!!!!
1. A long run of piano octaves available is a MUST.
2. There is nothing earth-shattering that the the Tyros has over the 9000.
3. Only the 9000 with 76 keys (in this price range)would be a dream board.

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#166395 - 02/14/05 10:22 AM Re: Is Yammie 'incapable' of making a worthy 76 note Arranger?
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
To The Pro,

Do you happen to know if the 76 note keybed on the 9000 Pro is the same as the one on the current MoES, ie, is it the Yamaha FS keybed that first appeared on the DX7 and has been used on the M1, the 01/W, the Trinity, etc., etc.?

Also, if I want one, now that they are discontinued, where would be a good place to get a good condition one? I looked at Ebay and there weren't any for sale there.

Thanks,
Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online