Topic Options
#166269 - 01/04/05 06:40 AM The G70 and the Compessor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi you all there,
When you play the G70 you have to use the
compressor for getting the good sound.
When I played one of my VA-userstyles, I was
disappointed while not as good as on my VA.
But by using the Compressor I could improve
the sound and now my G70 is the best Roland
I ever had!
It is very easy. Push the Effectbutton left
beside the display. Then you see in the
display at the right side (under) the com-
pressor. There are three parameters you can
change Low, Middle and High. Setting High on
+20 and Middle on +18 and Low as you like it
makes a great difference in the sound.
Within half a minute you have the sound that
you want.
You can save the compressorsetting as a user-
setting.
The settings I named are just examples, you
may have another taste.
Once again it is very easy to do and the
result is great.

#166270 - 01/04/05 07:20 AM Re: The G70 and the Compessor
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
OT...OT...OT

ok, what is a compressor?
I think I have a faint idea, but I am not sure.
Supposedly maintains a gereral "level" of sound, like lowering the very loud notes and amplifying the soft sounding ones??

#166271 - 01/04/05 08:20 AM Re: The G70 and the Compessor
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Mart,

Thanks for the tip. But I do have a question or two:
1. Since you are saving the compressor setting into the user/performance memory, does this mean that every single user memory location should contain this setting, or else that perf. memory will make the instrument sound crappy?
2. As I understand, the use of the compressor depends on the sound system you use (e.g. speakers+amp). Does this mean that any time you change the sound system, you have to edit ALL the performance memories to set up the compressor differently? If so, this sounds like an incrediby stupid system, and would be a show-stopper to me. I have 4 different PA systems, which I use depending on the venue and the type of music I have to play. On occasion, I play through the PA provided by the venue. The amount of work to change all the performance memories to suit the PA being used would be prohibitive.

I hope I misunderstood part of your post, and there is indeed a global location for Compressor setting, which I can set once for the performance, and forget about it.

While we are on the topic of global settings, are you able to set the power-on state (default sound, style, effects, etc.)?

Thanks,
Alex

#166272 - 01/04/05 08:35 AM Re: The G70 and the Compessor
twice Offline

Loc: Skive, Denmark
The compresser set on the efekt page, is a master compresser, thats mean that the setting here works for the whole keyboard, ex.t for all styles and all performes you may had made.

#166273 - 01/04/05 09:40 AM Re: The G70 and the Compessor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your answer is correct Twice, you save the
usercompressor itself and not in a userpro-
gram.

#166274 - 01/04/05 09:48 AM Re: The G70 and the Compessor
Wis Offline

Hi Mart, glad to see you have your G70 now.
I am very happy with your advise and I can
tell everyone "it works"
For who does not know, with the compressor
you can raise the high, middle and lowtones.
Or the other way around of course.
It is a hughe improvement.

#166275 - 01/04/05 11:44 AM Re: The G70 and the Compessor
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Mart, Twice,

thank you for the clarification. I am relieved that the compressor settings are global and not saved in user memories, as I misunderstood from the original post.

Now, Is it true that these settings are retained after the power-off? that is if I change the settings of the compressor, turn keyboard off and on, will my changes be retained? How about other default settings (style, tones, tempo, effects)? are they retained after the power-off?

Thanks again,
Alex

#166276 - 01/04/05 12:01 PM Re: The G70 and the Compessor
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA
>>>> TRIDENT >>> ok, what is a compressor? I think I have a faint idea, but I am not sure. Supposedly maintains a gereral "level" of sound, like lowering the very loud notes and amplifying the soft sounding ones?? >>>>>

Your description is correct, trident. What makes this a useful effect is that it can be used to enhance the impression of loudness. By taking away the variation between high and low volume, the signal can be made to come through at consistently high level. A compressed vocal can be made to sound like it has the power to cut through the backing instruments.

Did you ever notice that TV commercials seem to be louder than the regular show? It is compression that creates this effect. The actors in the show need subtle variations in loudness in order to convey complex emotions. Commercials have no complexity, and so give up subtlety in order to gain power.

The problem with compression is the same as with all effects: most people use it way too much. A little taste can add interest. Too much can sound completely unnatural.

Douglas Wolfe

#166277 - 01/04/05 12:16 PM Re: The G70 and the Compessor
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland
On the Dutch forums the main sound-compressor settings are also discussed. In fact the people that already own the G-70 say that they are somewhat ashamed that it took them a month to figure out that these parameters have such an effect on the overall sound. The overall conclusion seems to be that with the proper settings of this compressor (not equalizer) it is one heck of a good sounding board.

If this is really the case, and I don't see any reason to doubt it, I think it is pretty sloppy that these settings are not a bit more refined "out of the box". I would not have expected this from a company like Roland.

But on the other hand I find it reassuring, because it seems to take away the doubts some people had about the sound quality. The experiences were so diverse that it made me doubt about buying the G-70. I don't think this is something you can easily try out in the store however!

------------------
Tom NL

#166278 - 01/05/05 04:01 AM Re: The G70 and the Compessor
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Hallo Tom,
remember, Keyboards of other manufacturer hasn't been immaculate at the beginning, as experience shows.
Regard Hanspeter

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online