SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#165965 - 11/12/04 01:32 PM Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Gang,

as you know, George Kaye told us that a Tyros II is planned for next year.
He also told us that there will be no Pro Version.
A lot of us still have the 9000Pro and are very happy with it.
If enough people respond to this thread, maybe Yamaha will change their mind, since Steve Demming is reading this Forum and passes crucial info on to Yamaha.

Roland brought out the G-70, as Korg did the PAX-1 Pro, which are both 76-key versions.

Maybe there is still a chance for us that our voices will be heard!
Of course, it's gotta be light-weight, with excellent key feel, so that Uncle Dave, Donny, and Don M. don't break their backs.

I have also posted this thread at the german Yamaha Forum in hope for a great response.

Eric

#165966 - 11/12/04 02:55 PM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Eric. I would definitely be interested in purchasing a '76 note' Tyros Pro, but only if its weight & dimensions are no more than the current 76 note Ketron SD1's is:

16.5 kg (36.5 lbs)
119 x 19 12 cms (46.85" x 7.48" x 4.72" inches)

The SD1 definitely has the best weight-size ratio of all 76 note arrangers out there for sure. Too bad for its weakness' in other key areas.

In fact, I believe the CURRENT 61 note Tyros' shell casing may already be sufficiently long enough (in length) to accomodate 76 keys if:

1) the floppy disk tray is completely eliminated,

and

2) the pitch bend & mod wheels are simply relocated to somewhere above the keys.

This would maintain the dimensions of the current Tyros, and help keep excessive weight of a 76 note kb down as well.

For strictly auto accomp arranger mode playing, 61 keys is really all anyone needs, but for SOLO piano style playing, a minimum of 76 keys along with a more weighted key feel is mandatory.

Whether Yamaha really cares about my opinion or not on this, I don't know, but for what it's worth, I thought it was worth sharing with you guys.

Scott

#165967 - 11/12/04 03:02 PM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric, B:
s will be heard!
Of course, it's gotta be light-weight, with excellent key feel, so that Uncle Dave, Donny, and Don M. don't break their backs.Eric

Eric.....When you add up thoussnd+ of gigs per year between us ......and as many setups and takedowns, weight becomes a very criticle issue besides all the other equipment.....Travlin' Light is esential in this game

#165968 - 11/12/04 03:41 PM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Donny,

of course I'm with you on that one.
I was just kidding.
Even when you gig once in a while you'll notice the weight of the 9000Pro (beast)

Eric

#165969 - 11/12/04 03:42 PM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
digitalvision Offline

Loc: UK
I only hope Yamaha make their next board out of bolsa wood, then given enough features itll be light enough for anyone with a back injury.

For gods sake people. If it took 5 people to carry it and made the right sound it would be worth it.

lets stop working for the companies here and get real. Whatever works.....

#165970 - 11/12/04 03:50 PM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
I would buy a Tyros 2 Pro.
Denny

#165971 - 11/12/04 09:48 PM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Eric, I would definitely love a Tyros pro.

#165972 - 11/12/04 10:11 PM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by digitalvision:
If it took 5 people to carry it and made the right sound it would be worth it.

Nope. I work ( and travel ) alone. Five people are not an option.

#165973 - 11/13/04 05:56 AM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
to the genesys Offline

Only if it is under 35LBS, it has a good sequencer has USB and CDRW drive and not revamping old technologies.

I am not even going to talk about the "S" word.

#165974 - 11/13/04 08:13 AM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I'd buy a Tyros Pro but I'd bet heavily that it won't be happening at all. Even if it did suddenly appear I'd be concerned about what level of support it would have after the 9000 Pro's lack thereof.

Yamaha's recent division of it's pro-synth and PKB (home-portable) keyboard departments only added further levels of seperation between the areas that would be responsible for a Tyros Pro. I found this out first-hand recently when I bought the PLG150-AP piano expansion card for my 9000 Pro and found it had no voice data or application data for using it in the 9000 Pro, which is under the PKB's area. PLG cards are part of the synth department and it only has voice data for the keyboards supported by the synth department (namely the Motif, C-series and S-series synths).

Also I've had private emails from Yamaha reps who've referred to the 9000 Pro as a "failed experiment". That says it all.

#165975 - 11/13/04 11:44 AM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I buy most anything that plays if I can get it into the bedroom of the motorhome.
HEY I'M TALKING ABOUT KEYBOARDS NOW
BEBOP

#165976 - 11/13/04 02:38 PM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:

Also I've had private emails from Yamaha reps who've referred to the 9000 Pro as a "failed experiment". That says it all.

I think a few things made the 9000 PRO a failed experiment. One is the weight factor. At a little over 45 lbs. the PRO is not a piece of cake to lug around. And I think the Manufacturers are finally starting to realize that weight is a BIG consideration for Keyboardists and I think Arranger Keyboardists in particular because Arranger keyboardists, being OMB/s in most case scenarios, pack and transport their Arranger keyboards to Gigs multitudes of times a week in many instances. OTOH, regular Synth Workstations and Organ/Combos, etc. are often times setup over long periods in a single spot, not being moved around at all. Instances where that might happen is Churches, Business establishments where a long standing Gig is contracted and the Keyboard or Portable Organ/Combo is simply left there until the contract has expired. Or many times Roadies do the dirty work and the Keyboardist is absolved from lugging his own equipment around.

One fine example of a 76 Key 'Workstation' being fairly light is the new Roland Fantom X7. At only 32 lbs. it would be considered "light" and much more easily transportable when compared to the 9000 PRO or most every other 76 Key Arranger or Workstation keyboard around.

Another reason the 9000 PRO was a failed experiment IMO was at the time the PRO was introduced in the year 2000 Arranger Keyboards still had that "Home Keyboard" image tacked on to it/them in the minds of most traditional Workstation/Synth Keyboardists and because of that preceived notion they simply passed on getting the PRO. As of Nov. 2004 I think the image of Arranger Keyboards (particularly the High End models) preceived as only 'Home Keyboards' is changing. And as word spreads more and more of not only the Professional quality status and Sounds in Arranger Keyboards but of their extreme beneficial functionality on a Professional level in a Gigging environment,etc., then more and more traditionalists will be willing IMO to plunk down their hard earned cash to buy one.

And another big reason I think the PRO was a failed experiment not only in the eyes of Yamaha but in the experience of PRO owners themselves in many instances, is the fact that the Chip[s] used to power the PRO are under powered. This has been acknowledged by Music Industry experts btw. I'm not just pulling that info out of my hat so to speak. They put sooooo many features on the 9000 PRO that the Chip has a rather tough time handling (powering) all of them sufficiently. Different problems have been reported on the PRO that have been linked directly to the Processor's inability to handle all of the instructions appropriately, accordingly, and sufficiently, i.e. with sufficient power and response time.

But todays Chips are much more powerful and efficient and speedier so the only way a 76 Key Arranger would not work in the eyes of Yamaha is that they simply don't want to build it. The technology is there, the resources are there, the market is there, the viability is there, but they seemed to be stuck in a "61 Key" rut if you asked me. But I am still holding out a glimmer of hope that the Tyros II will have the option of a 76 Key Model.

PS: Steve Deming reads these posts, so it can't hurt to voice our overwhelming support for a 76 Key Professional Arranger keyboard. I mean; it's not like we already have a 'currently produced' Yamaha high end 76 Key Arranger keyboard that's available for purchase or on the market. So raising our voices in support of one seems the logical and most effective way of possibly getting one produced.

Btw, I think Yamaha is making a mistake IMO if they don't produce a high end Professional 76 Key Arranger Workstation keyboard. I think they will lose a significant market to the likes of Roland with its new G70 Arranger and Korg of course with the PA1X PRO. I'm looking for Ketron to eventually offer a replacement model to the SD-1 in the near future also, and possibly GEM will get on the band wagon too. But GEM needs to lower their prices significantly IMO if they want to really compete with the Big 3 and Ketron.

I think the "KEY" is the weight issue. If Yamaha makes a 76 Key Tyros II and it weighs in at significantly less than the competition, then they should be able to gain a significant potential market share from Roland and Korg, etc. and they should do extremely well on the sales end of things. A win, win situation IMO. But Yamaha needs to keep the price within reason too. If they beat the competition in the "$$$$" arena also, then that will only add to its attractiveness.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 11-13-2004).]

#165977 - 11/13/04 02:41 PM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Only if....

76 keys
Heavy Duty case
Playable Mega Voices

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#165978 - 11/13/04 03:00 PM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Hi Eric. I would definitely be interested in purchasing a '76 note' Tyros Pro, but only if its weight & dimensions are no more than the current 76 note Ketron SD1's is:

16.5 kg (36.5 lbs)
119 x 19 12 cms (46.85" x 7.48" x 4.72" inches)

The SD1 definitely has the best weight-size ratio of all 76 note arrangers out there for sure. Too bad for its weakness' in other key areas.

In fact, I believe the CURRENT 61 note Tyros' shell casing may already be sufficiently long enough (in length) to accomodate 76 keys if:

1) the floppy disk tray is completely eliminated,

and

2) the pitch bend & mod wheels are simply relocated to somewhere above the keys.

This would maintain the dimensions of the current Tyros, and help keep excessive weight of a 76 note kb down as well.

For strictly auto accomp arranger mode playing, 61 keys is really all anyone needs, but for SOLO piano style playing, a minimum of 76 keys along with a more weighted key feel is mandatory.

Whether Yamaha really cares about my opinion or not on this, I don't know, but for what it's worth, I thought it was worth sharing with you guys.

Scott

My criteria are similar to Scott's. My present keyboard has 76 keys, and when occasionally playing a 61-key instrument, I keep comeing to the realization of the fact that not having those 15 keys is a huge shortcoming (for me).

IMO, the SD1's form factor is optimal for an arranger keyboard - for the most part we are not synth players, who make extensive use of the modulation wheel or pitch bender, but those who do need it to play guitars, etc. should have no problem finding it above the keyboard. I also hope that Yamaha have realized from their experience with PSR3000 that it is OK to build a keyboard without a floppy drive, but with proper USB implementation & memory card storage.

I don't know what is the likelyhood of this happening, and perhaps our thoughts are totally ignored by Yamaha and are nothing more than wishful thinking.

In a way of wishful thinking: I use a lot of brass and wind sounds in my music, and for me one feature that would really benefit a new keyboard would be a breath controller input (the kind like DX7 had).

Of course, not being a full-time professional, I would not buy two high-end instruments. Therefore, to answer the original question of this thread, I would definitely buy a light-weight, 76 key Tyros2, but only if I have not bought a Roland by the time Tyros2 is available.

REgards,
Alex

#165979 - 11/13/04 03:38 PM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
I have a psr9000 and a 9000 pro. The 2 together is perfect board for me. I never play the pro, I don't like the semi weighted keys, cause I use a lot of guitar voices and want the speed. I can't see any keyboard not having 76 keys. We're probably talking less than 10 bucks for the material and labor at the factory. and probably 6 to 10 oz. in weight. taking maybe 8 inches more in length that could be arranged not to add hardly any to the case length.

The psr is a great sounding and easy playing machine, but sure needs more keyboard. The pro has the length but I have never been able to get the sound from it that comes thru my 2 keyboard amps as I get from the psr 9000.

Acouple of years ago I drove down to sacramento 400 miles round trip and tried a tyros. Not enough keys, owned a casio 20 years ago that had a better case, and the sound they had coming out even on the demo's was'nt enough for me to give up my psr9000. I'm not bashing the tyros, everyone seems to love it, and most has it at the top. I was'nt giving up close to 3 grand for half a dozen mega voices. I've been waiting for three years for yamaha to get their act together and make one for the lyzard, but I suspect it will be 61 keys with a better case and maybe 15 mega voices.
and Yamaha if you're listening I love what you've given me to use so far, BUT! have you heard the little rumble of the words G70.......

------------------
Support the arts
FEED a Musician
Cheers....Pose

#165980 - 11/13/04 11:50 PM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
So many refer to the SD1 as a standard to reach. Maybe Ketron will bring out a new board soon?!!
I have yet to hear the Korg PA1, the GEM, the SD1 (although I've heard the module) or the Roland. I will no longer buy something I can't try out first, so it seems Yamaha has the inside track by virtue of their dealer network.
DonM

#165981 - 11/14/04 10:03 AM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Don,

Living in a major metro area, I should be in a better predicament than you are, but alas, the one dealer that was carrying Ketron and Korg arrangers has closed, and to visit the GEM dealer (whose main claim to fame is sky-high prices), I have to take 3 hours of my day, which I have not been able to do so far.

Yamaha is indeed the leader in market penetration in large part because of their extensive dealer network (but also because their professional products are not too expensive).

I did have a chance to try the Korg, and found it quite underwhelming. The SD1 sounds great, but has the usual Ketron quirks, plus if you follow the Ketron Forum discussion, they seem to have trouble supporting their customers. GEM I have not heard, but the speakered one is too heavy, and the "PRO" only has 61 keys - unacceptable for the pro keyboard. All of them have low polyphony which concerns me. The new Roland gets a lot of things right, but still appears to be touch-screen based.

I think that Yamaha has a real opportunity here for Tyros II. As far as a longer keybed goes, I know that not everyone uses it, or says they have need for it. Nonetheless, I bet no one here would complain about having the 76 keys, if that did not make the instrument bigger and heavier.

Regards

#165982 - 11/14/04 10:30 AM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
MrEd Offline

Eric,

I think I would buy a Tyros II --> PRO <--
I'm not fussy.

A lighter 73 keys would be fine!

#165983 - 11/15/04 04:08 AM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
smythrocks Offline

Loc: Rochester Hills, MI. USA
I'll consider the Tyros II if it has 76 keys. (no 76 keys not purchase!) The ability to use the Yamaha PLG boards would be real nice. Additionally, the Motif patches - especially the Vintage Keys and BKnees from KeyFax are outstanding. The organs of the Tyros really need improving and a selection of better vintage synths as opposed to all the "trance" stuff would be welcome for my particular line of music. It sure would be nice if they could be interchangable with the Tyros II. Fat chance probably.

#165984 - 11/15/04 11:18 AM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'd love to see a psr3000 pro.
61 keys, better keybeds, stronger speakers ... yeah - that's the ticket!

#165985 - 11/16/04 02:00 PM Re: Who would buy a Tyros II Pro?
Musikman4Christ Offline

Loc: USA
I would love it also, but with Playable Mega voices, and of course, Mlan16e option. WOW ! That would rock !

Musikman
Email:
Musikman4Christ@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online