SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#165180 - 04/11/02 06:12 PM Has Anyone ever played this board?????
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Friends,
The MS-100 & the SD-1, I'm not wanting to compare the two boards!
I was wondering about the keys only on the MS-100! If they were well made and solid & If they compared to the 76 keys on the SD1? I'm looking for an older 76 key board that I could use to control my 2000! I don't know if MS-100 would work good together with my PSR-2000?? If someone who has owned one and could fill me in, it would be great!
How are the sounds & Styles, on the MS-100?
I just remembered you could put a hd in them too. I have a few of their styles that I play on the 2000.
Thankx in advance &
God Bless,
Nobby

posted by mc

The ms100 was discontinued in 1998 0r 89. I don't know if you will find one new at this point maybe a used one. if I remember it had weighted keys, a hard drive and very good sounds and styles. If you get your hands on one it will be a great find. I can load all of the styles from the ms60 in to the hard drive. the have two boards for the price of one.

I think george Kane had one for sale at his store.

good luck

Hi Mc,
I have complete spec's on the MS-100, and I know that they are discontinued. I'f I buy one I would be looking for a used one.
One that they didn't still want half the price of the board when it was new.
What I was more curious about was the feel of the keys,and how they compared to the feel of the SD-1? I would like to have a board with 76 keys, to play with here at home
and midi it to my 2000! I can't afford a lot after I bought the 2000.
All the best,
Nobby

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 04-11-2002).]

#165181 - 04/11/02 09:46 PM Re: Has Anyone ever played this board?????
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I can get you a nice deal on a Roland D70 - great action, great features, and a GREAT controller. (the sounds are like the U series ..... just ok)

#165182 - 04/14/02 02:06 PM Re: Has Anyone ever played this board?????
Markus Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi,
I am Markus from Germany and I am still playing the MS 100 - as many musicians still do here in Germany.
At this year's Frankfurt music fair one of the developers of this keyboard told me that the MS 100 was the last board that Solton/ Ketron developed that really worked well.
When it entered the market in 1996 it was not received with any astonishment. It was regarded as it was. A keyboard that hit the market with solid sounds, solid patterns and a robust operating system. A keyboard for the live-gigging musician. This was for me a reason to buy it. At the beginning I had a minor problem with the hard disk. It did not keep the volume settings. When the operating system was updated those problems discontinued.
I am still using the Solton because of its good right hand sound (saxophone, trumpet, organ, very clear almost korg like piano, clarinet). All those sounds were almost the same on the X1. They had undergone a certain amount of cosmetic surgery but - considering the problems the X1 caused for many musicians ie. breakdowns etc. - the MS 100 for me was the board to stick to. I know at least 10 musicians who hold the same attitude towards X1 and MS 100, two of them have both boards or have a SD 1 and a MS 100. Whenever problems with the SD 1 or the X1 occur they can always rely on a MS 100.
You just have to follow those many postings on this forum concerning the endless problems with the X1 and lately the SD 1 and you will soon see that the MS 100 is still worth thinking of, especially due to the fact that you can buy it to a good price most likely.
I am not saying that I never thought of replacing it but the problems of many of the arrangers my colleages are having with their keyboards has so far always kept me away from doing so. Things may change but I am still content with my MS 100.

#165183 - 04/14/02 09:19 PM Re: Has Anyone ever played this board?????
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Uncle Dave,
I'm not familiar with the Roland D70?
What kind of mony are we talking about?
Is it 76 Key? Would it be a better buy than a MS-100?
You can e-mail direct if you like.

Hi Markus,
Glad to talk to someone who owns one of these boards and is still playing it.
I have a yamaha PSR-2000.
I already have a lot of converted styles from Solton, And I know their sounds/styles are great!
I've only got 2 questions.
Are the keys waighted,and have a good feel to them? My 2000 has beutiful sounds but the keys are not real good! I'm like Uncle Dave I'm afraid their going to break!
Question #2 I want to use the Ms100 to control my 2000 Would they work good together?
Thank you guys for your help!
All the best,
Nobby

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 04-14-2002).]

#165184 - 04/15/02 12:52 AM Re: Has Anyone ever played this board?????
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Regarding the 2000 keys, I like the light touch. I'll bet Scott Yee and I put more "miles' on those keys than maybe anyone else in the world. So far they are holding up fine. It's only been about six months, but I use mine at least 4 hours every night, and sometimes have afternoon jobs to boot. I imagine that Scott, being more of a piano player than I am, plays it harder than I do, so maybe he can add something more.
We must bear in mind that the PSR2000 is in the $1000. range. The features it offers for that amount of money are really phenomenal.
DonM

#165185 - 04/15/02 04:51 AM Re: Has Anyone ever played this board?????
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Nobby,
The D70 was a high end Roland synth about 12 years ago. It has 76 keys, aftertouch, 4 midi zones, 4 programable sliders and a 32 voice sample playback sound architechture. The sounds are like the U20, and while they are "old news", some of the sounds are terrific. As a controller - it's great. Nice, solid keys and a sturdy, but small case. My buddy's store in Philly has one.
Call Ronny at 215-533-2050. They will make you a nice deal ...... probably in the $400-500 range.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online