SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#165044 - 11/07/03 07:56 AM Where do you place your hands to play the drumkits?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Where do you place your hands to play the drumkits? On a keyboard. Come on now.
Starkeeper

#165045 - 11/07/03 08:24 AM Re: Where do you place your hands to play the drumkits?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Is this a trick question Kevin???

Best regards,
Mike

#165046 - 11/07/03 08:58 AM Re: Where do you place your hands to play the drumkits?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Starkeeper,
Excellent question! It really varies for players when they play drums on the keys. One thing is that it takes practice! It took me a long time to learn how to play the drums on the keys. People never believe me when I let them hear my music and I say I recorded the drums on (one) track without overdubbing. I'll draw up a picture later this evening showing my hand position, or maybe I'll just have my wife take some pics with the digital and post those so you can see. I'll send you some demos tonight of me playing drums only using one track without overdubbing.. That's playing the high hat, bass, snare, toms, cymbals and doing all the fills on the fly.. It's actually pretty fun sometimes too..

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 11-07-2003).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#165047 - 11/07/03 10:04 AM Re: Where do you place your hands to play the drumkits?
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
squeak I want to hear those demos too please and see the pics

Thanks

#165048 - 11/07/03 11:21 AM Re: Where do you place your hands to play the drumkits?
Starkeeper Offline

Mike,
No. It's not a trick question. I just didn't want people to say, place each hand around a drumstick. I want to play drums on the keys!! What I'm asking is, over what note (or drum part) do you place each finger, and what hand (left or right).
Squeak,
I've heard some of your keys drumming, and you are a master IMHO, but I would love to hear more. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 11-07-2003).]

#165049 - 11/07/03 12:01 PM Re: Where do you place your hands to play the drumkits?
squeak_D Offline

Starkeeper,
I'll send you some tonight. I'll vary in styles as well.... It's actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it.. It's just cordinating your fingers the right way..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#165050 - 11/12/03 10:55 AM Re: Where do you place your hands to play the drumkits?
Starkeeper Offline

I played your drum MIDI's last night. Very cool. My favorite was the 3rd demo. If you could tell me where you place your fingers, I would appreciate it. No one else is responding. You said, "It's actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it." Easy for you to say.
Kevin

#165051 - 11/12/03 11:46 AM Re: Where do you place your hands to play the drumkits?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Kevin,
I'll try not to sound rude, but you have no choice where to place your hands. They need to play exact keys to get specific sounds. GM kits will be standard, so if you get used to a pattern of say, Bass, Snare and Hi Hat .... you can get cozy with the fingering and use it over and over in different songs.

#165052 - 11/12/03 12:48 PM Re: Where do you place your hands to play the drumkits?
squeak_D Offline

Starkeeper,
Uncle Dave is right.. Once you get used to the fingering you can use it over and over... I can use the same fingering for all the kits on the PSR-550... I'll draw you a diagram tonight and scan it so you can see how I place my fingers.. It may be a little later this evening because I have class, but I'll get it to you before the nights end..

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 11-12-2003).]

#165053 - 11/12/03 05:04 PM Re: Where do you place your hands to play the drumkits?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I use my left hand forth finger on bass drum[36], my fore finger on snare...On my right hand, forefinger on closed high hat, and fourth finger on open high hat, with the pinky on crash cymbal...

#165054 - 11/14/03 09:54 AM Re: Where do you place your hands to play the drumkits?
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
Guys, Ive been considering on getting this awsome machine:
http://www.studio-central.com/review_of_the_akai_mpd16.htm

TO do the drum tracks on my Korg Trinity..
I have become so dependent on my I30 arranger for drums, but I want to end that. So im considering this one..

Do any of you recommend it?

Peace,
Musikman

Musikman4Christ........

#165055 - 11/14/03 11:24 AM Re: Where do you place your hands to play the drumkits?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Looks interresting. I've had every model OctaPad that Roland ever made up to the SPD20, and lemme tell ya ...... it's not easy playing like a drummer...even on pads.
I bought them as a control source for my studio to avoid the noise issue. Many great drummers love the playing surface, and the sounds are just awesome.
That Akai will let you hone your chops and do things with sticks that are more difficult with fingers,so good luck. Looks like a logical step for you, since you don't like programming by hand.
Take a few drum lessons to spark your idea factory, and go for it.
years ago, I took drum lessons to improve my bass skills. Can't hurt !

#165056 - 11/14/03 01:25 PM Re: Where do you place your hands to play the drumkits?
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
Thanks UD for your advice..

Actually, I dont really know how to program the drums even by hand.. Well, very basic stuff yes,,. I know how to play the actual drums.. but I just have such a hard time translating that onto the keys...
I guess it takes lots of practice. I just dont get the same feel of the music by hitting plain keyboard keys.. maybe thats why I have become so dependent on my arranger...

Peace,
Musikman

Musikman4Christ........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online