SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#164993 - 10/22/03 04:54 AM Re: Korg PA1X Information
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Terry said it perfectly. I was about to post a similar reply, but he said it all. There is no "flaw" in the Mega voices...they are just more complex than we're used to. If you learn a new style of technique, you can adjust nicely. I have a similar problem with the "sweet" flute ... I tend to hit it too hard and get the second pasrtial of the sound more often, unless I limit the velocity.

#164994 - 10/22/03 07:30 AM Re: Korg PA1X Information
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I meant to say Korg's version of Mega Voice technology. Sorry for the mix up.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#164995 - 10/22/03 07:43 AM Re: Korg PA1X Information
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by sbenno:
Hi Mike could you elaborate please what you mean with "flaws" ? Is that what trtjazz said (wrong velocity mapping curves etc) or are there other issues I'm missing ?
I'm not a Tyros owner but I'm curious anyway.

cheers,
Benno

I should clarify my statement Benno. The flaw is not in the Mega Voice structure, ie., "the .WAV sample" but in the 'ability' for the "Keyboardist" to play the Mega Voices in Real Time, ie., -a Live setting. Mega Voices use Velocity Switching but so do Normal Voices also. Depending on how hard or soft you play the Voices the sound quality and/or level of the Voice will be reproduced accordingly. With the Mega Voices however, each velocity range (the measure of your playing strength) has a completely different sound. The Mega Voices incorporate such things as Harmonics, Slide, Hammer-on notes, Muted, Dead notes, Open (hard), Open (mid), and Open (soft) effects. Yamaha specifically states, and I quote: "The Mega Voices are NOT intended to be played from the Tyros Keyboard. The Mega Voices are primarily designed for use with recorded MIDI sequence data (such as songs and styles)."

So all this boils down to not being able to play "effectively and in a realistic Live Real Time setting; naturally - (no Hiccups) type scenario where the Keyboardist would most likely be very embarrassed and frustrated because if he did so, ie., - (play in a live setting, ie. Gigging) he would most likely encounter these unwanted 'effects' when playing them. Now that is not to say these 'effects', eg., Hammer-on notes, Harmonics, Muted, Dead notes, etc. are not constructive and useful in some settings (even maybe in a Live setting) but to be able to play them Live and the Keyboardist to have 'absolute' control of these effects in a Live setting is very unrealistic and hence the reason Yamaha stated so specifically - that they are NOT intended to be played from the Tyros Keyboard itself. On the other hand Yamaha 'specifically' has stated publicly that you CAN play the Mega Voices on the Motif ES. I have played the Motif ES and even owned one for a short while and I can tell you first hand that playing in a Live situation is 'easier' although in my experience with the Motif ES (though I may have not had the Keyboard setup correctly to play the Mega Voices optimally) the Motif ES's Mega Voices still leave 'something' to be desired if and when you wanted to use them for Gigging, ie., "in a Live setting". Still, to have that better functionality for the Tyros Mega Voices would truly be an enhancement and an improvement over the current Tyros Mega Voice playing ability.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: Benno, the Tyros Mega Voice playing ability can be 'improved' by setting the "Initial Touch" to its 'hardest setting' in the Controller Panel. Also the 'Harmony' function can also affect the Mega Voice playing ability.

What say you Yamaha.

#164996 - 10/22/03 11:35 AM Re: Korg PA1X Information
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I spent many hours listening to the Korg PA1X demonstrated standing at the side of the player John Pacey Korg Rep. At no time during my 7 days Keyboard Festival did I detect any Note drop off due to Polyphony.
The Mega type voices that are talked about are excellent. They are easily playable like any other voice,Trumpet roll off with velocity. Trombone slide with velocity...Brilliant. Great keyboard 76 key feel and response. (I have not yet seen the 61 note version) This is without doubt in my opinion the best arranger on the market at the present time.

Graham UK

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 10-22-2003).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online