SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#164910 - 07/24/06 06:06 PM Re: How close do you sing to your mic?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Funny that you just posted, Don, as I was going to bring this thread back up.

Because in the past 15 years, I have watched as many live acts as anyone I know. And almost all of the singers eat the mic. I wondered if there is a difference in genre or just what. The acts I watch are either country or rock. Actually, I've seen quite a few folk acts but I can't remember what they do. All of these acts have a sound man.

Two women at my last gig said "Move away from the mic, you're too close. We can't understand your words." Now, they were age 70 and 80. I asked two 45ish ladies and they said they could understand every word I sang. If there is any skill I have vocally, I try hard to enunciate well.

Anyway, I told them "No, I'll just turn the volume down." Which I did a bit. I dunno, it sounded great to me.

I was actually a bit miffed that these women in the audience were telling me what to do, haha. But if you knew them, they are rather, uh, take-charge, know-it-all types. But as far as I know, they have zero skills in performing music.

I've just always ate the mic because of sound men I have asked told me to. That it is totally consistent.

But, hey, I'm open.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#164911 - 07/24/06 09:28 PM Re: How close do you sing to your mic?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
the sound guys will always ask you to do that with dynamic mics, the further away the less low and low mids come through, with some mics even the mid range gets lost...sm58's have a specific boost in these ranges,so if you back away the mic just not work as well...my rule of thumb is just that...i have my mouth about a thumb's width away from the mesh.....
dennis

#164912 - 07/25/06 02:15 AM Re: How close do you sing to your mic?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
First of all I carry an extra mic for people to use – they do not use mine.
I bought a cheap wireless mic, didn’t like it so I tried to return it a few days later and was told that they could not exchange it for health reasons.

A mic has different qualities as you move closer to it. I try to take atvantage of that difference in my vocals. I am normally about 2 1/2 inches away, but there are times when I am almost touching. When I am that close the sound is deep and I hold back and let it flow easily.

John C.

#164913 - 07/25/06 04:06 AM Re: How close do you sing to your mic?
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I use a Crown headset mic, and although the instructions are to have it almost touching your lips, I find it better to have it about an inch away. I'm still a baby musician, but I find it easy to overpower and create distortion if it's too close.

By the way I loved that song "Even Heroes Die"

#164914 - 07/25/06 05:04 AM Re: How close do you sing to your mic?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Most rock and pop performers will eat the mic ... ever see John Mayer?!? ... however, the "old pros" like Tony Bennett, Paul Anka, etc. will generally have the mic FAR from their mouth ... but of course they have the equipment and sound men ...
t.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online