SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#164819 - 10/13/07 04:03 PM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Don't worry Ian. That's the standard "lash back" line whenever they feel offended, or more accurately, recognize the face in the mirror. Obviously, my posting or not posting a tune has absolutely nothing to do with anything is this post. Maybe the anesthesia hasn't worn off yet.

Donny (or "King" if you prefer), I wasn't attacking you; I think most of us thought it amusing that you, of all people, would be preaching against the policy of buying new keyboards (and subsequently proclaiming them the 'greatest ever') what seems like, every few months. Sorry if you can't see the irony (and hypocrisy) in this. Maybe some of your "dear friends" can explain it to you. Get well soon.

chas

#164820 - 10/13/07 04:05 PM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
How can it be a 'home' keyboard, if 'home' keyboards are not SUPPOSED to have 76 keys?

Don't tell me that Yamaha are deliberately ignoring a legitimate market? After all, they are the experts on what is, and isn't a 'home' keyboard...

Actually, I agree with you, Ian... The G70 IS a 'home keyboard' with all the easy play features you could ask for. But dressed up in a 'pro' shell.

As opposed to the S900, which I think is a 'pro' keyboard, dressed up in a 'home' shell (and throw in the easy play features for free!)...

But if you are hearing ducks quack, it probably just means it is time for the annual migration south, to warm and sunny climes (like mine!) Getting chilly up there, yet?

Come on down some time, we'll go duck hunting!

#164821 - 10/13/07 04:25 PM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Diki...it's already colder than a mother-in-law's kiss here on Cape Breton Island...frost last night.

Let's see...you said, "The G70 IS a 'home keyboard' with all the easy play features you could ask for. But dressed up in a 'pro' shell."

Interesting....sorta like a duck dressed up like an eagle.

You quack me up.

Ian

#164822 - 10/13/07 04:27 PM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Come on down some time, we'll go duck hunting!

Careful Ian, this could be Dick Cheney in disguise.

chas

#164823 - 10/13/07 04:28 PM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Interesting....sorta like a duck dressed up like an eagle.

Better than a chicken dressed as a hawk...

#164824 - 10/13/07 04:37 PM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Careful Ian, this could be Dick Cheney in disguise.

chas

Don't worry Chas...I'm sure the board of mental health has banned our buddy Diki from having anything dangerous...except perhaps the G70 which can cause a wonderful racket when dropped from a great height.

Rumor has it that the last time he went duck hunting, he didn't get any...wasn't throwing the dog high enough.

Ruff one, wasn't it?

Ian...clucking on a stage near you someday.

#164825 - 10/13/07 07:10 PM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hey Guys,
what happened to the original thread?? haa haa

Maybe they should sell 2 versions of a keyboard, one with all the style editing / creation features one could imagine, the other at reduced cost, with just the ability to load & tweak volumes & sounds or user styles.
Be interesting to see what people choose.

I personally wouldn't buy a keyboard that didn't have the ability to create a user style in some manner shape or form.

How many people use the Style Assembly function in PSr's (that Ian mentioned) or the pattern copy function in the Ketron etc etc. One can come up with a quite proffessional sounding style by using these functions. All that's happening is a mix & matching of existing style tracks.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#164826 - 10/15/07 04:31 PM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
shiral Offline

Loc: IL, USA
I still use my Pa80 and use it's MIDI-style converter (PC based). I mostly create and play song based and other custom styles and won't most probably play arrangers if that's not possible. Big user style area at that time was one of the main reasons I bought Pa80 and kept it even when I disliked some OS behavior compare to Yamahas.

Shiral

[This message has been edited by shiral (edited 10-15-2007).]

#164827 - 10/15/07 06:42 PM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Shiral,
the PA800 now has that function built in. I think it works the same way as the software version ie 1 chord variation at a time ??
(Unless I downloaded a wrong program).

The pads is what drew my attention & all the onboard style & pad editing functions of the PA800.

Someone mentioned the pads weren't all that brilliant on the PA80?? maybe they've been upgraded on the PA800.

Quote:
Originally posted by shiral:
I still use my Pa80 and use it's MIDI-style converter (PC based). I mostly create and play song based and other custom styles and won't most probably play arrangers if that's not possible. Big user style area at that time was one of the main reasons I bought Pa80 and kept it even when I disliked some OS behavior compare to Yamahas.

Shiral

[This message has been edited by shiral (edited 10-15-2007).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#164828 - 10/16/07 05:44 PM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
shiral Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Hi rikkisbears,

Thanks for the info. The software version works the same way. I could probably prefer the software version since I edit the MIDI files in XGWorks and/or Cakewalk while the files are on the computer.

Yes, pads on PA80 are dull. You cannot assign sequences. It's good to know they have been upgraded. The harmonizer is very bad too. I bought TCH VoiceWorks later. Compared to ~ $650 that I paid for that, PA80's board is not worth just $50 though they charged me ~ $250.

At some point I'll have to upgrade my keyboard, but at the moment I cannot afford it given other priorities. Overall I like Korg sounds better, but Yamaha SA and Mega voices have made me reconsider which way to go though.

Shiral

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online