SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#164799 - 10/12/07 01:12 PM How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
Dnj Offline

Just wondering how many have used this feature in some way.....I seldom have the need for it....& when I do I use EMC styleworks to convert. opinions?

#164800 - 10/13/07 01:01 AM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Donny,
find it handy for creating Intro's & Endings from a midifile.
I don't try & create variations & fills from song based midifiles.

Used to save my styles as midifiles & then use midi to style function if EMC really messed up a conversion.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#164801 - 10/13/07 06:32 AM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
Dnj Offline

I also use EMC in those must have Style situations then edit it a bit to suit my needs........but not too much. There's too many styles out there that can be adapted for use with any song.

take care

#164802 - 10/13/07 07:01 AM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Most midi to style converters require too much work for the average arranger user...most would prefer to download/buy the styles for a particular song already completed.

EMC is okay, but still requires a lot of editing...rather daunting for a many users.

I like the Style Creator in my Yamaha, especially the Assembly section where you can import parts from one style into another...I'm sure Roland has a similar function.

I'd rather a use a style I created/assembled myself...gives my music a personal touch.

Ian

#164803 - 10/13/07 07:07 AM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Most midi to style converters require too much work for the average arranger user... Ian

Well there where another problem with arrangers lie Ian....but the consumer is charged for these unused features......while you on the horn with Yamaha try telling them to simplify the Style conversion editing process so that the average player can easily use it.....otherwise take it away and add features that users ask for that they dont have now.

#164804 - 10/13/07 07:18 AM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Donny,

Yamaha do not have on board midi to style converters.

Yamaha's Style Creator is actually pretty easy to use...I have taught many clients how to make or edit a style, but most prefer the styles already done for them.

I was mostly referring to EMC Styleworks.

ALL brands of arrangers suffer from having features that aren't used by the average buyer.

I have addressed this issue with Yamaha many times, but I am only a very small spoke in a VERY big wheel.

All manufactures use these "features" as a marketing ploy...people then feel they are getting a lot for their money, even though they'll never use them.

Ian

#164805 - 10/13/07 07:33 AM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
All manufactures use these "features" as a marketing ploy...people then feel they are getting a lot for their money, even though they'll never use them.
Ian

Or in reverse Ian in reality they are getting less
Ive been playing arrangers from day one & even way back then I wanted things or thought some things are useless.......
seems once a KB is released that's it.....
the main thing that drives them is relinquished....instead these manufacturers should be making instructional videos so players can learn all about them & constantly releasing NEW STYLE Libraries in different categories that work with little editing for their arrangers. Seems like in some ways we're going backwards

#164806 - 10/13/07 07:54 AM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Donny,

Each time a new model is released, I always say,"How are they going to top this?"

And....they usually do.

I know, with Yamaha, it was Mega Voices, then it was SA voices, and goodness knows what's on the way with T3.

Instructional videos are, no doubt, an excellent idea, although there's no substitute for another person actually showing you EXACTLY the things you need to know.

Ian

#164807 - 10/13/07 01:09 PM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
I like the Style Creator in my Yamaha, especially the Assembly section where you can import parts from one style into another...

But this being something that few Yamaha users use, surely it should be dropped, as being past the understanding of the average (moron) arranger user? (As you posted in the 'What will we be using in ten years? thread)'

Or is it only features that YOU use that you feel that Yamaha should keep...?

You see where this could lead? Maybe Yamaha might take you seriously (however unlikely that might seem!) and start dropping features YOU use, if not many of your clients. THEN, what will you do..? Use a Roland?

Fortunately, most arranger manufacturers do not design arrangers for morons. They just try to make sure that the advanced features do not prevent the morons from using them. And provide you with a (hopefully) handsome living as you explain and demonstrate these more advanced capabilities to those that can't figure them out for themselves.

If Yamaha took you seriously, and provided NO advanced features (that few use), what would happen to your gig? Would you be reduced to teaching how to get a min 7th chord using One Note Fingering system (oh, that's right, you need three fingers for that one!).... Definitely not as much fun as showing them how you use the Style Creator to mix and match styles, no matter HOW few will ever go home and use it!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 10-13-2007).]

#164808 - 10/13/07 01:39 PM Re: How Important is a Midi-to-Style converter feature on your arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Good grief Diki!

You are so SERIOUS and I find it so amusing.

Thank you for the chuckle.

I really don't see how your response has anything to do with my post, but if you want to yadda yadda that's fine, buddy.

We do have something in common, you know, my friend...we both play home keyboards for a living...isn't that marvellous?

Ian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online