SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#164759 - 10/10/01 01:22 PM Sonic Maximizer and Tube Preamp
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Ok you pros what is the real lowdown?

I've been hearing good things about the BBE sonic maximizer. Are any of you using or have any of you tried one? It has been described as taking the pillows off the speakers.

Also I'm looking at the Presonus blue tube mic preamp. Would this be a waste of money going from it into the mic input of the X1. I've been told that a tube mic preamp adds warmth to the vocals. Is this true or baloney?

Regards,

Tom

Tom

#164760 - 10/10/01 09:02 PM Re: Sonic Maximizer and Tube Preamp
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've used the BBE Sonic Maximizer and currently have a DBX Enhancer. In past years they made a big difference. Theoretically they "put back" what is lost through the electronics in the p.a. system. Lately I am not using one and don't really see the need for it with today's digital gear. Everything seems clean and "alive" without it. You would have to try one to see if it helps in your situation.
I'm doing as many 3 and 4 gigs a day and have tried to eliminate everything that is not essential, without compromising the sound. My gear consists of keyboard, Mackie 1202 VLZ mizer, Peavey digital power amp and DJS1000 speaker system (small sub-bass and satellites). All e.q. and effects from the keyboard.
I suppose in a sit-down situation I would use the enhancer just because I have it.
Mic preamps can indeed improve the sound of your vocals, but as I recall, your voice doesn't need much improvement. Again, the best thing would be to try one and experiment. See if it's worth the $$$$$$ to you.
Are you stil using that worn-out X1?
DonM

#164761 - 10/11/01 06:46 AM Re: Sonic Maximizer and Tube Preamp
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Ok you pros what is the real lowdown?

I've been hearing good things about the BBE sonic maximizer. Are any of you using or have any of you tried one? It has been described as taking the pillows off the speakers.

Also I'm looking at the Presonus blue tube mic preamp. Would this be a waste of money going from it into the mic input of the X1. I've been told that a tube mic preamp adds warmth to the vocals. Is this true or baloney?

Regards,

Tom

I use the BBE SonicMaximizer 482 to play live and yes, my sound is clearer and punchier, I know some people don't believe in using them, I will say get one and see if you like it in my case it made a big difference, I also own the BlueTube for recording with my AKAI DPS 16 and have not use it enough [I just bougth it] to determine if it works or not.

I hope this helps!

ViLO

------------------

#164762 - 10/11/01 05:04 PM Re: Sonic Maximizer and Tube Preamp
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
And if you really want to hear a keyboard kick booty, run it through the new Peavey Kosmos, a two-track stereo enhancer.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online