SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#164735 - 05/15/03 05:08 PM Peavey KB100 clipping(?)
Zack Offline

hey oh sage ones. here's the thing. on my peavey kb100, theres that second light next to the power light that goes on whenever i put the amp really loud or theres a big bass pulse. what is that, what does it mean, should i be worried if the light goes on when im not even at half volume, all these questions bother me. thanks so much for your time, patience, sanity, kindness, deliberation, prolimination, exultapation, etc. thanks again. Zack

#164736 - 05/15/03 08:49 PM Re: Peavey KB100 clipping(?)
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Zack, the second red light is probably your compression kicking in. Check your manual to see if your amp has an adjustment. My old Peavey PA600b had an adjustment, but I don't remember if my KB300 had one or not. My KB/A50 has commpression, but no adjustment, go figure. If it's lighting up at half volume that could indicate a high gain signal (too hot)at the input or that the compressor is not working properly. If the amp is clipping as the light goes on, the comp. is working and you will hear a loss of sound, probably some bottoming out, esp. in the bass registers. Again, check your manual first. You might have to turn the master volume down on your keyboard, then adjust the amp volume and/or gain (if you have a gain switch). Try another channel.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 05-15-2003).]

#164737 - 05/16/03 05:16 AM Re: Peavey KB100 clipping(?)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That light tells you that it is PREVENTING clipping. It works like a limiter, and won't allow anymore sound to enter the speaker area. Once it max's out to a level it can handle, the limiter will not allow harmfull, distortion to damage your speakers. (at least, that's the plan !)
Simply put ... there is no more power available for you. Maybe you can make a few adjustments and maximize your effective volume, but chances are, you are at the max now. You probably need a more powerful amp if that light stays on all the time.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online