SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#164694 - 01/30/02 10:10 AM Yamaha's Website: PSR2000 Feature Listing!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
FYI:
Here's a link to Yamaha's Website listing the features of the PSR2000:
http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gPPK00005PSR2000

It clearly describes the 2000's Flash ROM OS feature (see bottom of page). Right underneath it (in red letters) it says: Features subject to change without notice. Funny, I never noticed that before. I guess that means, with this clause, they are legally free to eliminate (without notice) just about ANY feature they want to: the vocal harmonizer, any sounds (voices), styles, OTS, etc. . . hmmm.

#164695 - 01/30/02 10:22 AM Re: Yamaha's Website: PSR2000 Feature Listing!
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Sounds like the honeymoon is over. . . Don't sell your KN5000, Scott.

#164696 - 01/30/02 10:52 AM Re: Yamaha's Website: PSR2000 Feature Listing!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Bob,
The initial honeymoon may be over, but the marriage itself is still strong. Afterall, I realize that all relationships have their up/downs. Seriously though, I still think the PSR2000 is a GREAT keyboard (fantastic sounds in a lightweight arranger package), especially at it's incrediable price point. It remains (imho) the BEST bang for the buck out there (at least for now). I do have my eyes and ears open though for the next BIG thing around the corner: Technics KN7000?, Yamaha PSR10000?, GEM Genesis, Roland VA?, Ketron SD2?, Korg PA90? who knows . . .

#164697 - 01/30/02 11:57 AM Re: Yamaha's Website: PSR2000 Feature Listing!
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
I am not so sure about the legal value of that "changed without notice".

So you could buy a 61 key board, and they ship you a 12 key?
I think this flash rom is a mayor feature of this keyboard. Leaving a mayor component out can not go without consequences.
(like buying a 5.0l V8 mustang and getting a 1.6L 4cyl Focus?)

#164698 - 01/30/02 12:17 PM Re: Yamaha's Website: PSR2000 Feature Listing!
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
arnothijssen
Member posted 01-30-2002 11:57 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not so sure about the legal value of that "changed without notice".
So you could buy a 61 key board, and they ship you a 12 key?
I think this flash rom is a mayor feature of this keyboard. Leaving a mayor component out can not go without consequences.
(like buying a 5.0l V8 mustang and getting a 1.6L 4cyl Focus?)

I agree with this, and don't they still have
it advertised on there web site as upgradeable
via software downloaded from internet????
NOT!!!!!!! Enjoying the 9000 PRO as much these day's
Denny

#164699 - 01/30/02 01:11 PM Re: Yamaha's Website: PSR2000 Feature Listing!
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Wow! They lied! hahaha. Well the flash issue for me in no big deal. I am one of the few on here that plays for fun and not for a living. I play another kind of keyboard for a living. ha-ha Although they should have told customers of the change to the specifications of the board as soon as they changed it. I believe that could come back to haunt them in the future. Not a very honest and forthcoming company. Did some of the Casio people start working for Yamaha?

If it makes you guys feel any better and I believe some of you probably know this anyways, they most likely socketed the rom chips. The main reason is they are cheap! By this I mean, if they have to upgrade a few thousand boards, its cheaper to pop out a couple chips than replace a whole card. My replacement already has the 1.20 chips in it but then its probably a couple months newer than most. There should be one chip for the BIOS and one for the OS (software). I could take the back cover off and look but I really don't think its all that important. No reason why any of you could not do a chip upgrade yourself. Its not difficult and takes only a few seconds.

Still like my PSR2000. My gripe with it has been mainly the cosmetics and construction which I believe is very cheaply made. Makes my Casio WK-1800 look professional! ha-ha But I still am hooked on it. However, I probably will go with another brand next time I buy. This whole thing from the chips to the sharing of styles has hardened me to buy anymore Yamaha stuff. Gee, I go and change from Casio and I get Casio still? Did Yamaha and Casio merge or something?

-Linda

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online