SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#164631 - 12/22/04 01:27 PM What's everyone's thoughts on softsynths for live play?
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Is softsynths the way to go, laptop, midi board etc???

#164632 - 12/22/04 03:50 PM Re: What's everyone's thoughts on softsynths for live play?
Dnj Offline

navagationaly its a nightmare vs an arranger kb imo

#164633 - 12/23/04 06:22 PM Re: What's everyone's thoughts on softsynths for live play?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Softsynths and a MIDI controller can work very well and provide lots of options in the home or project studio setting where everything is already setup ready to go and there isn't immediate pressure to keep an audience entertained.

In a live situation a dedicated keyboard is definately the way to go. More compact, reliable and has an interface that is designed for a performer.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 12-23-2004).]

#164634 - 12/23/04 07:10 PM Re: What's everyone's thoughts on softsynths for live play?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I don't have a lot of experience with synthsofts, however, from the little exposure I had a few years ago, there seemed to be too many ways to make a dreaded mistake to use in a live situation.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#164635 - 12/23/04 08:56 PM Re: What's everyone's thoughts on softsynths for live play?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I would have absolutely no problem controlling a softsynth with my Motif ES in a live band situation. I run FL studio as a host and it has yet to crash on my laptop. I have flp files that are set up like registrations are setup on an arranger. I can recall them in an instant.

Still, in a live situation, there aren't many sounds I really need that the ES won't do for me. I would not really want to use the soft synths at all in a live solo act. Just too much else to focus on.... I like One Man Band, and would even consider using it as an emergency backup, but an arranger board still seems to be much better navigation wise.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 12-23-2004).]

#164636 - 12/23/04 11:13 PM Re: What's everyone's thoughts on softsynths for live play?
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Is there a future for softsynths? People say it'sthe next big thing. Keyboards will be nothing else than a computer with keys...example Wersi keyboards they are windows Xp based already in use.

#164637 - 12/24/04 01:59 AM Re: What's everyone's thoughts on softsynths for live play?
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
While developing OMB, in the last 2 years, I have been in close contact with live performers. I noticed that what they were interested in for arranger functions was very different.

Some were mainly interested in being able to add superior (softsynth) sounds.

Others wanted to add all kind of gadgets that they needed to help them play and entertain the audience.

For adding softsynths and soundfonts you need a soft arranger, like it or not. And with all the added gadgets you may even like it.

I don't agree that it's difficult to navigate in OMB8. You can get all the presets for a particular song in only 3 key strokes (presets-key, submenu-key, choice-key).

And beside style and multivoice the presets may include much more:

- a text-note with chords and lyrics
- the complete scanned score for the song that will scroll
- a wave with sound effects for the intro
- a midi or mp3 file for accomp instead of a style
- a karaoke file that will scroll in big font

Navigating to the style variations doesn't need to be a problem either with all the options for that. How about using a wireless numeric pad for that?

I didn't have live performance in mind when I started developing OMB, but in the last two years live performers came with requests and they got what they wanted.

Jos

#164638 - 12/24/04 06:50 AM Re: What's everyone's thoughts on softsynths for live play?
Beakybird Offline

Check out the M-Audio Keystation Pro. 88 key controller http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/709203/.

With 24 assignable buttons and 22 assignable knobs and software to integrate with popular softsynths, I think the day is dawning that you can use softsynths for live play.

I don't know if anyone is using this yet with OMB. I wouldn't venture into using a controller as an arranger keyboard for live play. As a nursing/retirement home performer, I want lightning setup and takedown time.

Beakybird

#164639 - 12/24/04 07:45 AM Re: What's everyone's thoughts on softsynths for live play?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jos Maas:
I didn't have live performance in mind when I started developing OMB, but in the last two years live performers came with requests and they got what they wanted

Interesting... I will definitely be taking a hard look at OMB sometime soon. Roland A37, B4, + OMB sounds like a light load that might just work.

#164640 - 12/24/04 10:27 AM Re: What's everyone's thoughts on softsynths for live play?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Jos,

I hope you didn't take my last post as a knock on your software. It isn't.. OMB is an excellent and useful product to me. In fact, I still want to create and / or modify some styles and patches so that it works even better with other soft synths and hardware modules.

Family concerns have kept me away from this and for devoting a lot of time in general to music.

I just think that using my PA80 in a solo act is so very convenient for me because everything is right 'there' where I need it, and it's labeled as such. Also, I've had it for a long time now and we are very comfortable with "each other". Makes for less "thinking" about the technical stuff, and more thought can go toward playing my instrument(s).

Synth Guy... Absolutely there is a future in softsynths. A trip to a site like KVR-Audio can help put it into perspective better than I can, but here goes a little of my experience.

B4 by native Instruments..I've yet to play anything hardware ( other than a real B3 )that outshines it for reproducing a fairly authentic B3 sound. At around 200 USd, its hard to beat. Arturia's CSv80. ... The CS80 was one of the hottest analogs out there in it's day. Very expensive too.. some 7 thousand USd or so. I wanted one but it was so far out of reach.. nothing but a pipe dream. Today, the softsynth, which can be had for around 200 USd or so, replicates the sound ( and look and feel ) of the CS80 so closely, that perhaps the only way to tell them apart in a mix is that a very discerning ear might detect the lack of oscillator drift in the software... but even that can be programmed in.
I thought the Motif ES6 really had turned the corner toward the direction of a better acoustic guitar emulation.. 'til I played Musiclabs' Real Guitar. I like the latter so much better.

To put it another way.. I still like my Motif ES6, and will not consider parting with it. It's also probably the last hardware rompler I'll buy for a very long time. For sonic quality in the studio, I've already surpassed most of it's soundset via the use of softsynths and sample sets.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 12-24-2004).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online