SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#164626 - 08/22/07 01:57 PM DSP effects on T2 Styles
chony Offline

Loc: New York
For some reason, when you put a DSP effect (distortion is a good example), on a R1/R2/R3 instrument, you get the nice sound you would expect from the effect.

However when doing it within a style, it doesn't seem to work the same. I just can't seem to get good electric guitars in a style, even when I use the exact same settings as on the R1.

Somehow the Yamaha programmers managed to do it, because the DSP effects of the preset styles do work like they are supposed to. But I can't replicate it in my own styles for some reason.

Can anyone help, or at least explain?
Thanks, Chony

#164627 - 08/22/07 02:39 PM Re: DSP effects on T2 Styles
jwyvern Offline

Chony,
Without knowing in detail how you've been adding the DSP it's difficult to know what could be going wrong. As a starter though:

You need to be in the Style Effect page in mixing console. (Get there by pressing Direct Access followed by Style variation button D).

Highlight the DSP1 bar & press Type

Make sure DSP1 is selected in the Block Box.
Select a required Effect (in Category & Type boxes)

Press Parameter. This allows you to change things from defaults if you must, [but if you do you'll need to save them as a User Effect or they'll evaporate when you change Styles].
Suggest you keep with defaults at first.

Note at bott right there's the Effect Return level which can be altered if necessary. Suggest you leave it at default 64 at first.

Exit back (2 presses) to the Effect page.
Listen to the Style and turn up the DSP1 effect level (bott row) on the voice(s) required until satisfied.
Save it in a Reg. Bank.

It works for me

Often if applied to the rhythm section distortion effects (as well as the more usual compressor DSP's) can bring out all sorts of percussion nuances you may not have realised were there in the original style.

HTH John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 08-22-2007).]

#164628 - 08/24/07 05:16 AM Re: DSP effects on T2 Styles
Gabe Weiny Offline

Have a look at page 182 in the manual, especially the note.

DSP1 is shared by the song and style parts. The last selected overrides the DSP1 settings

If you use registrations, and a song is saved to the registration, I think the DSP1 on the style may change to the song setting. Did not try it out...

#164629 - 08/24/07 10:43 AM Re: DSP effects on T2 Styles
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
In Addition to the above suggestions....
When James Sargeant produced the RegiStick for the Tyros 2 he suggest the EQ & CMP setting that they used for Tyros 2 Demonstrations....having tried these they works very well for me . Here are the settingsand there is a bonus of little increase in volume.

Mixing Console.
Set EQ to FLAT.
Set CMP as follows.
Type STANDARD
Basic Type BASIC
Threshold Offset +0
Gain Offset Low +10
Gain Offset Mid +6
Gain Offset High +8

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 08-24-2007).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online