SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#164407 - 12/21/05 03:50 PM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
I wonder if this type of discussion went on at the time the piano was introduced.
The truth is music and instruments are evolving all the time.
Who knows what musicians or others will be playing in fifty years time.
I bet this type of discussion will be going on then to.
There was an Australian composer I can't recall his name who spent his lifetime trying to find a way of playin his music without an orchestra because he considered the musisians got in the way of his music.
He would be in his element now.

Cousin Ken

#164408 - 12/21/05 04:25 PM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I'm probably an odd duck.

I know a guy who plays piano as good anyone I know. A professional entertainer. This guy smokes. My gosh, can he beat out the boogie. Awesome. But... after one or two sets, I've had enough.

If he were playing an arranger, I likely wouldn't tire of it. I don't know that, I've never heard him play an arranger. In fact, I never will, because he never will. But I'd be less apt to tire of it.

Secondly... if I played an arranger and could play really well, I would definitely do what Esh said, play piano-only tunes several times a night.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#164409 - 12/21/05 04:49 PM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:

Now- My question is: Since the keyboard technology is getting better and better these days, would it jeopardize our performance in a sense that the audience would think "Wow, what kind of keyboard that can make that kind of sound?" instead of "Wow he/she is a good performer"? ....

Thought/Comments?

KN_Fan,
IMO, it depends on who the audience is, what types of audiences are attracted to the musical path that you have chosen to take.

If you're doing a traditional concert, you will need to be emphasizing your musicianship, your virtuosity, your chops, so you can probably leave the arranger at home and bring the Steinway.

If you're doing a club or dinnerhouse, more variables come into play ... a balance of musicianship, entertainment, mix of styles and rhythm.
Bring the arranger -OR- bring the Steinway and the bass player, and the drummer, and the guitar ... and the... and the....

If the event is a dance, bring the arranger and all of its boltons because you will need all of the flexibility the arranger provides for all rhythms, styles, instrument sounds, etc, otherwise they will probably be hiring a dj next year.

#164410 - 12/22/05 04:25 AM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
trtjazz Offline

If one ever saw P. Baartman's Vivaldi demo on the Tyros 1 .......

Great playing is great playing regardless of the gear.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.musicchops.com/forums/

#164411 - 12/22/05 05:25 AM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:

Great playing is great playing regardless of the gear.
Terry

Sadly, that's not the case when it comes to bad, outdated instruments. I know of one player who is using a keyboard that sounds horrible, yet this guy on an acoustic piano sounds great. His stage digital piano is painful to listen to and IMHO he's hurting his reputation by playing a poor choice in instruments (ironically, he keeps a prized Kurzweil at home to practice on and doesn't want to beat it up by using it on stage). Another friend of mine is stuck in the 80's and is carrying four heavy and outdated keyboards in Anvil flight cases that make his van's rear shocks sag under the weight; and to top it off, he has a heart condition and very often doesn't make his gigs because he's in and out of the hospital so much. More than once this year he had to leave the gig in an ambulance. His bandmates and the club that hires him asked me to try talking him into carrying less gear since he could gig with just two of his boards - he stubbornly refused. I don't expect him to survive '06.

I like Russ' insight, which is also a warning: pro keyboardists have to keep up with technology to remain competitive and employable.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online